ATX Community

Other side of the story

ILLMAS

TP reached out to me in early February and told me by email and over the phone she had been separated, divorcing over the last two years and that TP would be claiming the kids because she had them most of the time.  Based on these:

Can a married person claim the Head of Household filing status?

The Head of Household status is designed for single persons with dependents, but in some cases, married persons can claim the Head of Household filing status.

To qualify for the Head of Household filing status while married, you must:

• File your taxes separately from your spouse
  • Pay more than half of the household expenses
  • Not have lived with your spouse for the last 6 months of the year
  • Provide the principle home of a qualifying dependent
  • Claim an exemption for your dependent

If you meet all of these requirements, you may file as Head of Household while married.

TP qualified for HOH, today I get an email forwarded from the ex-spouse saying TP has to file MFJ or MFS and based on his facts, ex-spouse is correct. I probably won’t be moving a finger since my invoice has not been paid, but who else hates when this happens?

• Like 3

Let the lawyers fight it out.  They get the big bucks.  Tax preparers are a little busy 12 April.  Their agreement might require them to trade tax returns.  But, it can't tell you how to prepare tax returns.  Make notes/save emails from your client describing her situation and your choice of filing status.  Good luck!

• Like 4