ATX Community

An American Woman Wins Boston Marathon!

FDNY

2 hours ago, ILLMAS said:

Yeah buddy!!!

Desiree Linden, she'll be on the Wheaties Box if not already.  I forgot she was in the London and Rio Olympics.  I was so choked up because she is the first American woman to win Boston (a tough run) since 1985, I didn't even know her name until the last half hour while I was finishing up some extensions and watching in awe that she could win.   This was huge.    And of course so many other Americans finished up there in the top five.  What a day, with weather like this it makes you say to yourself, anything is possible.

• Like 6

When I ran Boston in 1979, the weather was almost identical to yesterday, just not so much wind.  I was, however, way back in the pack finishing in 3:35 hypothermic.  I needed 2 iv's to recover.  Back then there was no Gatorade, no Gu, etc., just water and oranges. 

That was my last marathon until I turned 60 in 2006.  It was amazing how different things were and are.  So I've run 8 more since then but May 6 will be my last.  The left knee is telling me so.  Kind of like this tax season telling me 'the end is near...' 

So proud of American women and all who continue to work on fitness at any level!  Think of that 104 year old woman in the 100 meters!  The mind boggles! 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

The left knee is telling me so. 

3:35, wow!  I am impressed Margaret.   Take care of that knee.  I've gone elliptical and no more knee pain.  Keeping the quadriceps strong ended my buckling problem.

• Like 3

Thanks, FDNY.  I really hate the elliptical but probably because I resent having to use it!  I'm just hoping I can get back to maybe run/walk shorter distances.  I have a half marathon in October that is a must do as I am a 'streaker' in it, 5 years.  And I've been fortunate to always be within the top 3 of my age (old lady) group.  That's been the same for the Cincinnati Flying Pig (next and last), too so I have some really nice jackets.  But none say "Finisher' which apparently is the newerish big thing.  This is the Pig's 20th year so they are doing jackets.  Then I am finished.  Ahh, no more 5am Saturday mornings during the winter training season- Yippee!

• Like 4