ATX Community

MeF is down

jklcpa

ATX's annoucement said " We recommend sending state returns (if the state allows it) unlinked from the federal return to ensure they are also timely filed. "

So I thought it would help to submit State returns now.  But I forgot to unlink them, just released them...  Now they are all stuck at "Transmitted" for God knows how long... :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sarypion, I think as long as it's transmitted...somewhere... you're okay.  The files will show that you submitted them on time, we just won't get acks for awhile.

My nightmare is, what if this isn't just the IRS being overwhelmed by the late filers, what if it's a cyber attack - how long would that take them to recover, and are the returns we submitted going to be hijacked?? :blink:  I want to believe that's not possible, but who knows anymore.

19 minutes ago, GLJEANNE said:

My nightmare is, what if this isn't just the IRS being overwhelmed by the late filers, what if it's a cyber attack - how long would that take them to recover, and are the returns we submitted going to be hijacked?? :blink:  I want to believe that's not possible, but who knows anymore.

That would be a huge headache...

The latest from Drake is that the IRS is allowing LIMITED e-files currently.  So my guess is that the various software companies have been given quotas and data rates to stay within as they test the system, and that those will be increased slowly until lifted (assuming no further problems).

• Like 2

e2b67203-f143-45d3-b282-0ca0447c81da.png

Earlier this afternoon, NAEA alerted members to technical difficulties with IRS' electronic filing and online payment systems. NAEA confirmed with IRS earlier this evening that these systems are fixed and are operational again. According to the Service:

Individuals and businesses with a filing or payment due date of April 17 will now have until midnight on Wednesday, April 18. Taxpayers do not need to do anything to receive this extra time.

More details are available in IRS' news release, IR-2018-100. Should new information become available, NAEA will update the full membership.

eeb6560d-6c52-43cc-a102-e8e8235389ed.png    

• Like 2

Yesterday was every died-in-the-wool procrastinator's dream.  It doesn't get much better than this.  First the 15th falls on a weekend. Then the filing date gets pushed to Tuesday because of a holiday in only one city.  THEN, literally at the last minute IRS extends another day.  I wonder how many people heard the news, put their taxes aside last night, and will be rushing to meet the deadline today?  It's just a way of life for some people.

I was already waiting for my biggest procrastinator to call me and complain because I erroneously told him to pay his payroll tax deposit through EFTPS by 8pm last Friday Apr 13th (I discovered on Friday that he actually had until 8pm Apr 16th but I didn't change my instructions to him).  I'm sure he will hear about all this and start griping because I had him violate his principle of  "not giving the money to those thieves until the last minute" .  :)   It doesn't affect him, but all this extra publicity about extended due dates may make him take notice...

• Like 5