ATX Community

Agency reject state efile for lateness (due to IRS outage)

aforrest

Anyone know how are state filings impacted by the IRS extended deadline?

I submitted a few federal returns on around 9 am on 4/17.  But they didn't show as "accepted" until about 2 am on 4/18.  My state requires the Federal returns be accepted prior to efiling the state.  Therefore, I couldn't file the state returns until today around 7 am. 

But now the state returns keep being rejected by the agency with the explanation that they're late and I needed to either 1) file an extension (my state doesn't have its own form and just piggybacks with the Federal Extension request) or 2) indicate on the state form if i filed a federal extension (there is no option to select "no" to filing the extension; its simply a "yes" check box).

Problem is that I submitted my returns well before the deadline and the IRS outage prevented me from filing the state returns.  Any ideas how to get out of this loop?

I feel like there should be an easy way to fix this that I'm just too tired to see....

Thanks!

Forgot to add:

The ATX blog says the error code I'm getting is in error. And that I should provide a "yes or no" answer.  "A 'no' (or false) answer will be accepted without penalty. But OH doesn't have its own form and there is no way to check "no".  Its a simple "check if you filed an federal extension" sort of box.  I called ATX support and their agent took remote access of my computer and couldn't find the solution.  Finally she said to leave it blank (since that would be a "no" answer") refile.  I did and was still rejected.

2 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

This is from the OH Dept of Taxation's News Release section of its website:

https://www.tax.ohio.gov/Portals/0/communications/news_releases/FilingExtension4-18rev.pdf

Thanks!  I did see that bulletin.

But I followed the instructions (OH says I don't need to do anything and ATX suggest similar in leaving extension box blank) and they're still being "rejected by agency".

1 hour ago, aforrest said:

Thanks!  I did see that bulletin.

But I followed the instructions (OH says I don't need to do anything and ATX suggest similar in leaving extension box blank) and they're still being "rejected by agency".

If ATX will allow you to file a federal extension after the actual federal return has been filed, maybe you could try that so the system will think your state returns are timely.  Just an idea. Not sure if it will work or not.

I just got off the phone for the second time with ATX.  Both times they took remote access of my PC...(the first time the rep wasn't able to fix and suggested i contact OH dept of tax - not sure why but I called them).  OH reported no problems.  The gracious rep there conference in a colleague who is familiar with ATX to try to help.  Determined it was a software issue and we ended the call.

While with the OH reps, they agreed NOT to have the form or filing indicate an extension was filed.  They were stunned that there wasnt an express "no" to whether the extension was filed.

The second call with ATX, the rep consulted her "manual" and "supervisor" and said that I actually MUST have the box checked indicating that an extension was indeed filed.  I was told to check the box and refile the returns (but not actually file any sort of extension form).

So that's where I'm at.  Refiled and waiting for acceptance.

If this works then its a bizarre way of releasing a notice giving a solution presenting an option when their support guide requires a solution where there actually isn't an option.

Fingers crossed.