ATX Community

High School Graduation Picture

Booger

Started cleaning the attic yesterday.

Found my High School Senior Picture.

Decided to use it as my avatar on this board.

What do you think?

Booger

I started to say that I love the green turtle neck, styles come back around cause almost all of us has one of these...

(At first, I didn't see your picture.) Ruined a perfectly good joke...

Love the hair, by the way.

....I really do not know how to respond to this

"....I really do not know how to respond to this"

I'll take a shot J.B.. This pencil neck geek actually found a picture of himself before he lost his teeth and hair. The teeth from men he insulted. The hair from the ladies. If he were from Kansas, I would say that he was just mad cause someone dropped a house on his sister.

Now - two serious comments:

1. ERC obviously did an exemplary job in making his point to BOOGER.

2. BOOGER's aplogy was proper, but posting his own picture shows that he really understands that he had been offensive and regretted it.

Fearless Zeke

These pictures you can put up are called avatars. I've been doing some research on avatars. I started out at dictionary.com, where I learned that an avatar is a Hindu concept, relating to the incarnation of a god, or simply a concrete manifestation of an abstract concept. The advent of computer message boards has brought a new meaning to the word, but the underlying idea remains the same. It's not supposed to be just a picture of youself.

The earlier mention of MySpace pictures prompted me to ponder how a shared interest message board differs from a social networking site. I view the social networking sites rather as an antithesis of this board, and in fact the name MySpace makes me think of this board, or the other tax boards as "OurSpace".

The avatars do allow a little personalization and personality into the mix, but the focus is not on members as individuals, rather it is on the ideas and topics to be discussed. It's not about us as individuals, but about our shared concerns, etc.. and our desire to assist each other, and share knowledge.

IMHO (see, I can do the hip texting stuff, too) having a picture of oneself is just too distracting. That's more information than I need or want to know. I appreciate some the avatars that members here have posted, although if I'm going to critique them, I must say that JB's is a little disturbing, but that's ok with me.

I did get on to a website, where there are hundreds of avatars people have uploaded to be shared, or used by anyone. http://avatars.jurko.net has an interesting collection of avatars. I think I'll work on creating one for myself. I assure you it won't be a picture of me, although my highschool senior picture wasn't bad.

I should say that I've never been offended by Julie's high school picture. Maybe high school pictures are ok. They might well be a very good example of "a concrete manifestation of an abstract concept".

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth of opinion in the matter.

Speaking of insults and the like, did you hear about the guy who showed up at work on Monday with two black eyes.

When someone asked him about it, he said that it happened when he was trying to be helpful at church the previous day.

He explained, "When we stood up to sing, I noticed that the lady in front of me had the bottom of her skirt hung in the top of her panty hose, so I pulled it out for her. She turned around, punched me in the face, and said she didn't appreciate what I had done."

The friend then asked, "Well what about the OTHER black eye?"

He answered, "Well, the next time we stood up to sing, I stuffed it back where it had been."

It was either post the picture (and make a joke out of myself) or

throw myself under a bus.

I felt the posting the picture was LESS painful.

Booger

Speaking of being thrown under the bus, you did a pretty good job with your comments on the "other Community" about a lot of folks on this site.

Bob

Hmmm....does that mean I have to go find a real high school picture, then? I was 24 when that one was taken.

Here's my take on the avatars, though, and the reasons I chose to use a real picture:

(This, of course, comes from the only person on the old ATX community to routinely sign all posts with a real email address, so maybe my perspective is a touch naive.)

One meaning of avatar (there are several) is the living incarnation of a deity. A stand-in, so to speak. A human being who contains the spirit of that god or goddess.

The images called "avatars," then, metaphorically, stand in for the real person at the other end. We are all, to each other, disembodied words on a screen. To that extent, we become abstracted ideas, as opposed to other humans with whom a conversation can be conducted and whose feelings can become hurt by a moment's thoughtlessness. (I've been on both sides of that one.)

The "avatar," then, is a stand-in, an image we can imagine speaking those words, a face we can associate to them. Personally, I would like to be able to attach faces to the people I'm talking to, to make them more real in my own eyes. So I put my own pic up there as an example, hoping others would follow suit.

At least so that if we ever have the chance to meet, we'll know one another. (It's not like I cut my hair or anything!)

With love to all,

Julie

These pictures you can put up are called avatars.

<clipped for length>

I should say that I've never been offended by Julie's high school picture. Maybe high school pictures are ok. They might well be a very good example of "a concrete manifestation of an abstract concept".

Julie, I thought it was really nice seeing your "real" picture. As we go back a long way together and I know of what you speak about the old board; I have had my share of darts and arrows too. It always "seems" that there is at least one person who is out to make you look wrong (whether this is real or imagined). I am not savvy enough to know how to upload a picture of anything so I admire anyone who can. And, I always admired that you used your entire address as a sign off on all of your posts. Anyway, keep the picture. I am just a pink glob that I guess is supposed to signify a woman. The main issue here is the strength and knowledge of the posts and how much they help me and others as well.

I am not savvy enough to know how to upload a picture of anything so I admire anyone who can.

At the top of this page under the donate button there is a choice for "My Controls". In my controls, on the left side there is a menu. Under "Personal Profile" there is a choice for "Edit Avatar Settings". When you go there, there is a place in the middle at the bottom that says "Upload a new image from your computer". Click on the browse button and find the picture you want.

My avatar eats kittens. Watch out all you posters with "meow" in your avatar.

If you did not know, this is the Fresno State Bulldog mascot. I pulled it off the website. Hopefully they won't prosecute for copyright infringement.

Tom

Lodi, CA

They say everything is big in Texas!!

Eli

That is funny.

You have been scarce on the board lately. Is every thing OK down there?

Tom

Lodi, CA

Everything is ok. Thanks for asking. Broke my right hand about a month before the April 15th deadline. I had my cast removed last week and was able to finish most of the returns I had pending. Fire season hit early this year and I have been putting in about 30-40 hours of overtime a pay period at my regular job as well. It was a good season though. Still growing steadily.

How are you & your family doing? When's the vacation kicking off??

Eli

I have been putting in about 30-40 hours of overtime a pay period at my regular job as well.

When's the vacation kicking off??

You work too hard my friend. I guess the paychecks are bigger in Texas also.

I bought the tickets Friday. We are flying out on a red eye July 2nd and will arrive early morning the 3rd in Hartford. Trying to find a hotel in Boston for the 4th without costing one of your overtime paychecks. Not going so well. But Patty and the boys are really looking forward to the trip. Still planning to go to Plymouth, Salem, Kennebunkport, Boston, and NYC before coming back to Hartford to fly home. I need to look at the Matinee theater schedule for that Saturday in NY. I am threatening my kids to take them to Shakespear if they are not good.

I see you have good weather right now. Been over to the island for spring break?

Tom

Lodi, CA

I see you have good weather right now. Been over to the island for spring break?

Tom

Lodi, CA

Haven't made it out there yet. Probably going to make it to San Antonio before I can get out to the island. Going to take Ivan to Seaworld then maybe Fiesta Texas. The weather has been good, just a little too warm a little too early. Not much chance for any rain until sometime in June is what the weather people have been saying. Sounds like you guys should have a fun trip. I pray all goes well for you.

Eli