ATX Community

Should 2005 1040 be filed? Easy question...

miatax

Hi everyone!

I have a quick question:

An employee of a friend of mine made $1,350 in 2005 - never filed a tax return because he didn't need to. Employer withheld $135. Will he be penalized if he files a return now for 2005 to get that money back? Also, is it possible to claim the EIC as well?

Let me know.

Thanks!

Monica

I agree with the 4/15/09 deadline for refund as the rule is 3 years from date return considered filed or two years from date the tax was paid, whichever is LATER. (2007 Quickfinder 1040, page 16-1)

edit: On second thought you said the return for the year was not filed. The IRS might consider that fact if you actually were required to file and didn't. In that case it would be the 2 years from the time the tax was paid and you would be too late.

Old Jack:

Issue 1:

2005 YEAR: Now that I know he is in time for the refund for 2005 for which he did not have to file a return, does he file a regular 1040 or does he need to file something in addition to this? Will he be penalized for filing late EVEN if he was NOT required to file for 2005 and the sole reason for filing is to get back his wittholding? Does he still qualify for the EIC due to late filing of the return?

Issue2:

2007 YEAR: He has a filing requirement but he just didn't file on time. For 2007 the facts are as stated before your post above. What are the penalties for filing today - 1 week after the deadline for filing considering he is getting a refund.

Monica

Issue 1:

2005 YEAR: Now that I know he is in time for the refund for 2005 for which he did not have to file a return, does he file a regular 1040 or does he need to file something in addition to this? Will he be penalized for filing late EVEN if he was NOT required to file for 2005 and the sole reason for filing is to get back his wittholding? Does he still qualify for the EIC due to late filing of the return?

Just the regular 2005 1040 (and the EIC form if he needs it.) No penalty for filing late as long as you get a refund. EIC if he qualifies - either has a qualifying child or is age 25 thru 64.

Issue2:

2007 YEAR: He has a filing requirement but he just didn't file on time. For 2007 the facts are as stated before your post above. What are the penalties for filing today - 1 week after the deadline for filing considering he is getting a refund.

No penalty. (Except perhaps his stimulus payment may be issued later than originally scheduled.)