ATX Community

ERO

Dan

If you are the ERO (Electronic Return Originator) what is:

1. The ERO Pin

2. The SS Pin

I have the PTIN and EFIN numbers.

Thanks for your reply!!!!!

The EFIN is the ERO number you were given by the IRS to enable you to electronically file returns.

The PTIN is used in place of your SS number so you do not have to put SS on every return. This number was also one that you applied for and is unique to you.; and remain the same every year unless remanded for an infraction of the rules. :scratch_head:

Thanks mchampine for your answer but when I tried to enter the EFIN number in the ERO field it would only allow 5 characters instead of the 6 characters that my EFIN number had!!!

There are three tabs in the Preparer's Manager.

1. The PREPARER'S TAB is where you enter the Social Security & PTIN numbers.

If you enter them there do you enter them a second time on another tab and where?

3. The third tab is the EFILE TAB. In the EFILE tab is:

a. EFIN number (if you enter the EFIN number here do you enter it again

in the ERO field?) LOOK AT NOTE ABOVE

b. ERO number

c. SS pin (if you enter your social security number in the preparer's tab, do you

enter it again here?

Thanks for your reply!!!!

Thanks mchampine for your answer but when I tried to enter the EFIN number in the ERO field it would only allow 5 characters instead of the 6 characters that my EFIN number had!!!

There are three tabs in the Preparer's Manager.

1. The PREPARER'S TAB is where you enter the Social Security & PTIN numbers.

If you enter them there do you enter them a second time on another tab and where?

3. The third tab is the EFILE TAB. In the EFILE tab is:

a. EFIN number (if you enter the EFIN number here do you enter it again

in the ERO field?) LOOK AT NOTE ABOVE

b. ERO number

c. SS pin (if you enter your social security number in the preparer's tab, do you

enter it again here?

Thanks for your reply!!!!

You may be confusing the EFIN with the ERO pin (which is 5 digits) and is the number you choose to enter on the 8879 E-file signature form. When I look at my 3rd tab for e-file, it accepts the EFIN right after your name; then the ERO Pin which is 5 digits. Leave SS blank as that is why you have a PTIN as explained above. The ERO # is a number that you choose as your signature pin.. I use the last 5 digits of my PTIN. Do not enter your SS in the EFILE tab; only your PTIN as this is what will appear on the 8879 when you file the returns. Can I ask if this is your first year to EFILE or maybe your first year with ATX? It's really pretty simple once you understand the use and purpose of each of the ID numbers.

Thank you mcb39 for the explanation.

I have been with ATX since 1999. I really enjoy working with the ATX program. I have never used the ATX efile program and that is why I am asking some questions.

Is the ERO number the same number that you might use for your electronic signature when you sign the page 2 of Form 1040?

There are other questions I have about the actual transmitting of the forms to ATX!!!

Again, THANKS!!!!!!

NO......your signature # on page 2 of the 1040 would be your PTIN or your SS if you don't have a PTIN. Your ERO shows up with your signature pin on the 8879. This will transfer there from the 1040 EF info form that you have to fill out for each return that you e-file. Good luck with your e-filing. It is really quite painless once you get all steps straight in your head. When I think about how it was years ago, I wonder how the system survived. We used to have to pay $15 for IRS and $5 for state and it was next to impossible to get those fees from the clients. I always filed my own and all of my relatives just to retain my EFIN.

I suggest that you go to your new 2008 program, select E-file Manager; select Support, Select Program Help and then E-file help. You should be able to find all the helpful information that you need there.

I quess I don't know how to ask question very good.

mcb39, I was talking about your signature on your own return in the sign here section on page 2 of form 1040. In otherwords if you are sending in your own return electonically and you give it an electronic signature.

Is not this different then if you are preparing the return for a client?

I quess I don't know how to ask question very good.

mcb39, I was talking about your signature on your own return in the sign here section on page 2 of form 1040. In otherwords if you are sending in your own return electonically and you give it an electronic signature.

Is not this different then if you are preparing the return for a client?

I use the same pin for everything - taxpayer signature on my return, when I complete page two of the federal return under the "check the box" representation line, and as ERO on the 8879. If I am using it in place of my signature, it seems to me it should always be the same.

It seems what I have read here in these post: there are four places that you can use the same personal pin.

1. In the Third Party Designee (page 2 of form 1040)

2. As your electronic signature in the Sign here section (on page 2 of form 1040)

3. Along with the EFIN number (in part III of form 8879)

4. As the ERO pin under the E-file tab

Is this correct?

Page 2 of the 1040 does not have an electronic signature in the sign here portion of the return. You would only use an electronic signature if you are electronically filing the return, in which case it would go on the 8879. So the 5 digit pin number is used on the third party designee box on page 2 of the 1040, or on the 8879 as the ERO's electronic signature pin. Entering it as the ERO pin on the E-file tab simply allows the program to automatically complete that portion of the 8879 for you.

As far as these being the only places you would use it, they are the only places on the 1040 that I can think of. I also use it on the check the box section of forms 941, etc. Please don't make this so difficult - it is just your electronic signature. Use it when the IRS asks for a pin in place of a signature.