ATX Community

Canadian Retirement - Taxable?

BulldogTom

Help from those of you familiar with Canandian pensions.

Taxpayers are H&W. She lives in US and recieves SS. He lives and works in Costa Rica. He recieves US SS and Canadian Pension from the Government of Canada. His Canandian Pension shows an amount withheld for Non-Resident Tax Withholding.

What the heck do I do with this? Specifically, do I report it like a pension and enter it like a 1099R, or do I add it to the amounts from the 1099 SSA? Do I use a Form 1116 and take credit for the withholding?

Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

Tom

Lodi, CA

Can you be more specific about the kind of pension? Is it an RSP, RIF Canadian old age, or Quebec

I am not sure. In the box for income code, one of the forms has code "46" and the other has code "44". It is issued by Service Canada / Canada Pension Plan.

The other issue is the amounts are in Canadian Dollars. How do I convert to US$ (I realize I can look up the conversion rate on a bank web site, but I am sure the US tax code has a requirement to use a certain date or something).

Tom

Lodi, CA

Canada does not have a treaty with Costa Rica. So they will withhold a 25% tax on the CPP payment. If he thinks he is entitled to a lower tax rate then he will need to file in Canada an NR7-R 9 (I believe). From the Canadian perspective I am not sure if he is entitled to the reduction since he is resident to Costa Rica.

If he were resident to the US then the CPP would not be taxable to Canada and would be treated the same as social security payments.

>>Never had to deal with this before.<<

I tried moving further away from the Canadian border, but it turns out that's not the only border.

I'm pretty sure he gets the foreign tax credit, but you have to fill out all the lines of Form 1116 (instead of the shortcut method like for 1099-DIV). And it always seems necessary to re-read the convoluted instructions because many of the most important words have a different meaning than in the rest of the tax code.

I either remember or imagine that a long time ago I read that Canadian pensions, including Social Security, are treated very much the same as our American counterparts on the tax return. It may have been in the tax treaty. That is one reference I read with little understanding a long time ago and never looked at again.

I hesitated to jump in on this one because I can't quote chapter and verse but.....Canadian retirement is treated like social security, as I recall. I looked back in my records but can't find the phone number for Canada taxes. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. I will get in touch with my Canadian friends and ask if they know the phone number. MM