ATX Community

Two W2's but same employer

taxguy057

I have a client who has two w2's from the same employer. There was no break in employment during the year. Can I just combine the amounts under one w2 in the system or must I separate them? Of course if i combine, the tax should be less than if separate right?

All helpful replies will be greatly appreciated.... :blush:

I have a client who has two w2's from the same employer. There was no break in employment during the year. Can I just combine the amounts under one w2 in the system or must I separate them? Of course if i combine, the tax should be less than if separate right?

All helpful replies will be greatly appreciated.... :blush:

@billy

Yep!

Take the extra step and list them separately. I have seen this happen from time to time when companies change a payroll method or who knows what during the year. It only takes a minute to do them both; expecially if you are using auto-fill.

Just my opinion and the way that I would do it.

Take the extra step and list them separately. I have seen this happen from time to time when companies change a payroll method or who knows what during the year. It only takes a minute to do them both; expecially if you are using auto-fill.

Just my opinion and the way that I would do it.

Does the client have his last pay-stub from 2008? If so, make sure the year-to-date gross earnings match the combines W-2's

I have a client that is a teacher at a private school. Each year he brings me 2 form w-2s from that one school. He said the reason is that the one is for his main contract, the other one is for additional programs outside the contract that he does during the summer months. I think the school does this so that their auditors can tie in the payments to the contracts.

I always enter them as 2 separate w-2s in the ATX program. I just let the system do the math.

At our company, each state the employee works in generates a W2. I don't know why the payroll service requires this. We have to set them up under a different ID when they work in a different state. Could this be what happened?

Tom

Lodi, CA

Client of mine came in with these this year; his employer changed the name of the division he works in part way through the year. So they gave out 2 W-2's, same FEIN. Said they "didn't know how to combine the two numbers".

Funny part -- he works for a national payroll processing company.

:lol: