ATX Community

HAS ANYONE EVER HAD THIS????

wendybooth

Had someone from H&R Block come in today wanting to buy out business. Stated that we filed X number of efiles last year and he knew that the sccountant that I work for is getting elderly. 72 to be in fact. Has considered shutting down before. HOW did this gentleman get this info? Is it public information??? I decided to post here first. ATX response was that no one can access that info without your client information. HOW is this possible??? Or is this guy just blowing smoke???

He may be just "blowing smoke". Last year, I had letters from both HRB and Liberty with offers to either merge or buy my business because they wanted to expand to my area. I ignored both of them. They did not talk specific numbers. The only place that any of our info can be accessed that I know of is the IRS web site under E-filers. You put in a zip code and all of the preparers who offer e-filing are listed. Only names, addresses, and possibly phone numbers. I have actually gotten clients from that site. The first time it happened, I was shocked.

Doesn't CCH own H&R block?

Though, conspiracy theories aside, it's probably just random chance. H&R likes to buy out existing offices when they expand, because they can get an instant customer base. Or it's possible the accountant you work for actually has considered selling before and had prior talks with H&R block? Did they say he was getting old, or did they actually know his age?

there is a company that you can buy a list of ero's in your area or any area and it tells you their name, business name,how many efiles they filed. how many were rejected. does not give you the client name or any personal information. I have seen this list myself. Didn't really like having anyone else know how many returns I efiled.

CCH does not own H&R Block. I think Block signed a multi-year contract a few years ago to provide on-line courses for Block employees. And, Block used to purchase ATX for preparing entity returns before it bought TaxWorks software. Block buys existing firms to expand into more sparsely populated areas that would mean excessive driving for its current district management system. I have no idea how they gather information, though.

ATX response was that no one can access that info without your client information.

That's true, and we don't keep such detailed records re: age on our clients.

Doesn't CCH own H&R block?

No, but Block does purchase a W2-1099 program from us. We're not in the tax prep business, just the tax prep software business.

That's true, and we don't keep such detailed records re: age on our clients.

No, but Block does purchase a W2-1099 program from us. We're not in the tax prep business, just the tax prep software business.

You work for CCH? What area? What do you do for them?

You are very welcome here, Sasha. I think support has done a pretty good job this year, even tho on some of what should be the easy stuff, like problems changing passwords, they have done the poorest. Still, the main test is that I've only had to call a few times, and most of those few were at the beginning, about one problem. And that was not a problem with ATX, except indirectly. It was with my computer's net.framework files.

Yes, welcome, Sasha.

I'm curious as to what the folks back at CCH think of this forum? Obviously they are aware it exists. You're proof of that. Is it ever talked about? Is CCH committed to ATX for the long haul?

Yardley CPA -- Sasha probably can't answer your last question. But if she could AND did, then she'd have to kill us all afterwards. ;)

LOL...true, Catherine. I believe you're right...but was hoping she could give us even a little feedback. ;-)

On the order of, "I can neither confirm nor deny the rumor that CCH will be supporting ATX for only two more years"? (Please note, this is a rumor I just made up as an example here!!)

Hahaha! You guys are hilarious. I'm not sure what upper management thinks of this forum. I'm sure they're aware of it. Coworkers and I talk about it quite a bit - there are a handful of us registered here but I don't know that I have recognized anyone posting here. I don't mind answering any questions that anyone may have, in here or in another thread. I may not always know the answers but I'm at least willing to field the questions.

As far as CCH being invested in ATX for the long haul, I'm not certain. Same goes for Taxwise. What I can say is that there is something on the slate for release in 2012 - whether there will still be an ATX or a Taxwise after that, I have no idea.

Hahaha! You guys are hilarious. I'm not sure what upper management thinks of this forum. I'm sure they're aware of it. Coworkers and I talk about it quite a bit - there are a handful of us registered here but I don't know that I have recognized anyone posting here. I don't mind answering any questions that anyone may have, in here or in another thread. I may not always know the answers but I'm at least willing to field the questions.

As far as CCH being invested in ATX for the long haul, I'm not certain. Same goes for Taxwise. What I can say is that there is something on the slate for release in 2012 - whether there will still be an ATX or a Taxwise after that, I have no idea.

"Something on the slate for release in 2012?" Come on, Sasha...you can't totally leaving us hanging like that!!!! :scratch_head: Give us a little more!

That could be very good news. If you could combine the comprehensive nature of ATX with the stability of TaxWise, you'd have a super product.

That's very close to what is going to happen I believe.

There was a message sent company-wide a couple of months back talking about a project in development. Very vague. We asked around about it and what we were told is that there is a new product in development that may potentially combine the products. I'm told that most of the details are up in the air but at this very early stage they're looking at something similar to the Taxwise interface.

I hope this doesn't happen. I'm using TaxWise this year and can't say I see anything in it I like better than ATX. I'll be returning to ATX next year and won't miss TaxWise.

I guess it depends on how they merge the programs. We'll just have to wait and see.

Well it has seemed like they prefer selling TaxWise to new customers over ATX when given the choice, so that wouldn't surprise me (though it would suck, there aren't many forms based products remaining...)

Hopefully if they do end up going to a new product they don't lay off the existing support.

Well it has seemed like they prefer selling TaxWise to new customers over ATX when given the choice, so that wouldn't surprise me (though it would suck, there aren't many forms based products remaining...)

Hopefully if they do end up going to a new product they don't lay off the existing support.

Sounds like, in that event, we'll have to seriously query the TaxWise users (and/or get demos for ourselves) and see who wants to use that format and who wants to jump to a product like Drake.

I really _like_ the ATX forms-based format. Grrr! :angry:

Sounds like, in that event, we'll have to seriously query the TaxWise users (and/or get demos for ourselves) and see who wants to use that format and who wants to jump to a product like Drake.

I really _like_ the ATX forms-based format. Grrr! :angry:

It could happen but I am doubtful. Being totally honest here - you guys seem to be a knowledgeable lot, but I talk to a LOT of people every day who truly cannot grasp the concept of forms-based software. CCH wants as many customers as possible + people using the software that don't understand forms = the likelihood of it being similar to Taxwise.

I must say it is hard for me to grasp the fact that folks cannot grasp forms-based software. I mean, if one doesn't have a basic understanding of what the finished product should look like, grasp how the data of forms interrelate, how can one know whether a return is correct or handling the input correctly?

It seems that what you may be saying is that knowledgeable folks like us who, in many cases have more sophisticated client returns, will be forced into a much higher priced software (pro fx?) because we know what the end result should be and the lower priced CCH product is geared towards those who are, basically, data entry people.

I guess it is time to look into retirement when what I can afford in my practice is no longer available. About two years, you say?

I'm with you there, Margaret. If ATX folds, I'm out of here. Form based is the way we have done it since pencils and carbon paper. One of the greatest assets of ATX is that most of us know where the numbers are supposed to end up when entered into a worksheet or a form. Without that knowledge, what kind of service are we offering?

I, personally, had fewer returns this year as I expected. Many of the really easy ones never showed up. But, the many that I did have were generally more difficult than usual. I expect next year to be even more of a nightmare. We HAVE to know where the numbers belong and we HAVE to be able to see it on our screens. IMO

Although I would agree with Sasha's assessment of the likely direction based on current conditions, if they are making such decisions based on today and not considering tomorrow they are making a mistake. As more and more states look into & implement testing requirements in order to preparer taxes, a lot of the less knowledgeable preparers are going to either have to learn how to do taxes for real, or move on to some other career.