ATX Community

Sign Form 941 as Paid Preparer - Reminder

JohnH

Since I'm starting on First Quarter payroll reports today, I'm posting this as a reminder to myself as much as to anyone else.

I allowed a couple of Forms 941 to get out the door in the 4th Quarter of 2008 unsigned. Probably didn't matter much at that time, but I'm sure IRS will be taking a closer look at the Paid Preparer section this time around.

Since I'm starting on First Quarter payroll reports today, I'm posting this as a reminder to myself as much as to anyone else.

I allowed a couple of Forms 941 to get out the door in the 4th Quarter of 2008 unsigned. Probably didn't matter much at that time, but I'm sure IRS will be taking a closer look at the Paid Preparer section this time around.

My payroll program has a pop-up reminder that the preparer has to type in his name, date and then sign the 941.

I believe that after entering it the first quarter, then the typed portion will roll over to future quarters, but I believe a manual signature will be required unless there is a PIN option.

Thanks, John. I am actually doing a 941 right now. Peachtree will not print unless I enter something in the SSN box. I have an EIN which I input two boxes down. Think I'll get run out of town if I put EIN in the SSN box? I guess I could enter whatever just to get PT to print, then wite out. Frustrating to spend money on something and have to make adjustments that take time...

Also, I'll have to enter it all again next time. Nothing rolls over. Maybe I haven't completed something properly. I'm using PT Complete Accounting. (There's probably another version for only a million dollars that will do what I want done.)

In 2008 the prepare signature was optional. Of course it was to good to believe this would continue. Now it does not look like we have a choice.

Since I email most of mine, I am going to have to import my signature unless they let us sign like on a 1040 by typing our name in the signature line.

Does anyone know if we can type the signature or use a secure Adobe Acrobat digital Signature? Would be pretty easy to add this if you have the full adobe acrobat pro, and I do this for other documents with Acrobat (not tax docs).

Just checked with the e-File help desk. To efile 941's we need to sign up for the program and get them to issue a PIN and set us up as Reporting Agents. Need to us for 8655 for both us (if we have payroll) and each of our clients. She also indicated we look at Pub 1475 or 1474 (she said both, but I think 1474 is the correct number). For information on how to set this up and then sugested calling rather than using the e-services as they can do it both quicker and with fewer steps

Their number is 866-255-0654