ATX Community

EFIN letter request

Eli

Has anyone received a call from ATX requesting a copy of an EFIN letter? I received a voicemail yesterday from a young lady who state she worked for ATX and that ATX was going require a copy of the EFIN letter in order to be able to efile thru them. I don't recall ever having been asked to send one in before.

Any ideas?

Eli

Seems like I remember seeing a notice that the IRS isn't going to send a letter out this year. I may be thinking about something else. If this is legitimate, seems like it would be a lot more efficient to notify everybody by email rather than by voice mail. Also, seems like this would be more of an IRS concern rather than a software provider concern. Just my initial thoughts.

Gene

Thanks, Gene. I thought the same thing about it being more of a concern to IRS then to the software provider. I guess I'll just call and see whats up.

Eli

Please post your experience. This sounds weird. Like someone who is disbarred from e-file is trying to get some bank products through? But then that is my suspicious mind working overtime.

I love Elvis.

Tom

Lodi, CA

I think it is interesting that someone from ATX would request a copy of your e-file authorization letter, when this notice was posted the last time I pulled down Acks for my returns:

October 18, 2007

ATTN: Authorized IRS e-file Providers/EROs

The IRS will no longer issue credentials in the form of the annual letters for continued participation in IRS e-file. Instead, you may confirm your status as an Authorized IRS e-file Provider by viewing the summary page of your e-file application online via e-services at IRS.gov.

Go to irs.gov, click on the e-file logo and scroll down to the Tax Professionals link for more information on steps in identifying your Provider status. FAQs are provided for explaining this change further.

Refer to Publication 3112, IRS e-file Application and Participation, for important information such as the use of your EFIN and rules and requirements for participation in IRS e-file. Authorized IRS e-file Providers should continue to safeguard and protect the EFIN assigned to their firm.

If you experience difficulties in printing the summary page of your e-file application, you may contact IRS e-help desk, toll free at, 1-866-255-0654,Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 7:00 p.m.(ET).

Thank you for your continued interest in IRS e-file. We are looking forward to working with you.

----------

This has been an IRS e-file QuickAlert

Not sure how I am going to give them a copy of a letter that I am not going to get. Don't they read the notices that they post? :rolleyes: