ATX Community

Can a Corporate Officer draw unemployment in Michigan?

Denne

The topic came up with a client today. He is wondering if he shuts down his business....A Corporation....if he can draw unemployment in Michigan. I have been looking online for some information on it and can't find what I am looking for. If he can draw is he limited in anyway? Thanks for your assistance!

I guess that is an indication of how bad things are in Michigan.... The corporation has so little income that the officer's can't draw a salary. They want to stay in business to see if things get better, but need oncome in the mean time. I will call Wage and Hour to see if I can get more information... Thanks!

I guess that is an indication of how bad things are in Michigan.... The corporation has so little income that the officer's can't draw a salary. They want to stay in business to see if things get better, but need oncome in the mean time. I will call Wage and Hour to see if I can get more information... Thanks!

My understanding is that if he is a 2% or more owner then he cannot draw unemployement benefit in Michigan...

even though we have to pay the unemployment tax on the wages anyway.

Taxtrio