ATX Community

PTIN

Terry D EA

Is there a data base on the IRS site or another place where our clients can verify that we have registered with the IRS and are authorized to prepare and file their returns? I think this would be an excellent tool to use to obtain new business. Telling a potential client to check online to verify credentials is a plus. Also, how will a client know if a preparer is using a bogus PTIN? Just wondering as I am getting ready for the season.

Is there a data base on the IRS site or another place where our clients can verify that we have registered with the IRS and are authorized to prepare and file their returns? I think this would be an excellent tool to use to obtain new business. Telling a potential client to check online to verify credentials is a plus. Also, how will a client know if a preparer is using a bogus PTIN? Just wondering as I am getting ready for the season.

It is a good idea at first look and that will FOR SURE eliminate the bogus PTINs because crooks will have access to ALL PTINs available. They will use a real PTIN from you and me depending on their location.

Anyone have any idea when the IRS is going to start advertising to the public that they should only seek tax prep from registered tax preparers? The deal was we had to register, pay the fees, submit to background checks, etc. so the IRS could give the public some assurances that only qualified people were allowed to do tax returns. When are they going to start telling the public? People are going to keep going to the same preparers they always went to (legitimate or not) if they never hear about the new requirements.

It is a good idea at first look and that will FOR SURE eliminate the bogus PTINs because crooks will have access to ALL PTINs available. They will use a real PTIN from you and me depending on their location.

Well I might agree but I don't think the IRS would reveal the assigned number but, could indeed allow the consumer to verify that their preparer has indeed met the requirements. There used to be a way for folks to see if a firm or individual was listed as an authorized e-file provider. I was, and if it is still available, listed there but my EFIN was not. I don't think the IRS would be that stupid and post something that would cause them to looser virtually all control

Well I might agree but I don't think the IRS would reveal the assigned number but, could indeed allow the consumer to verify that their preparer has indeed met the requirements. There used to be a way for folks to see if a firm or individual was listed as an authorized e-file provider. I was, and if it is still available, listed there but my EFIN was not. I don't think the IRS would be that stupid and post something that would cause them to looser virtually all control

http://www.irs.gov/efile/page/0,,id=10162,00.html

Terry,

I think this is probably what you were thinking of.

Eli

That list is still out there and it is surprising that people actually do use it to find a preparer who e-files in their area just by putting in their zip code.

That list is still out there and it is surprising that people actually do use it to find a preparer who e-files in their area just by putting in their zip code.

I agree they are good lists. I found "The Hispanic Service Center" on both efile and ITIN acceptance. It does bring some business since very few preparers (maybe 5) are listed for the whole District of Columbia as ITIN acceptance.

My new company's name will start with A. After we all register this year, if a taxpayer enters my Zip code, there will be pages and pages of preparers. If I use Pacun for my name, no one will have the patience to scroll throw pages to find me. Keep in mind that your name needs to start with an A or B if you want new people to find you.

I agree they are good lists. I found "The Hispanic Service Center" on both efile and ITIN acceptance. It does bring some business since very few preparers (maybe 5) are listed for the whole District of Columbia as ITIN acceptance.

My new company's name will start with A. After we all register this year, if a taxpayer enters my Zip code, there will be pages and pages of preparers. If I use Pacun for my name, no one will have the patience to scroll throw pages to find me. Keep in mind that your name needs to start with an A or B if you want new people to find you.

Hello Pacun, where did you find the info on ITIN, I preparer a handful of W-7's and get referrals from immigration attorneys every year. I looked up on the link posted above and I only see the following services:

Electronic Return Originator, Service Bureau, Transmitter

Please post link, I might need to update my info.

Thanks

http://www.irs.gov/efile/page/0,,id=10162,00.html

Terry,

I think this is probably what you were thinking of.

Eli

Thanks Eli, I am aware of the ERO data base but would like to see the IRS list a database of preparers who are registered with a PTIN and not necessarily as an ERO. Some folks are preparers but not ERO's. I am both but it would be nice to direct potentially new clients and existing ones to a site where they can verify credentials.

Thank you for the site - -glad to see I was listed - - but - -does this mean that the PTIN is good also?

I registered, they took my money (just like Vegas!) - -no reply - -I called back in Nov after 5 tries I finally got through - - they said if I had the old number on my receipt - -it was OK - - -I requested verification - - still no reply.

I am assuming that I am good to go - - -

30 years and this could definitely be my last!

Thank you for the site - -glad to see I was listed - - but - -does this mean that the PTIN is good also?

I registered, they took my money (just like Vegas!) - -no reply - -I called back in Nov after 5 tries I finally got through - - they said if I had the old number on my receipt - -it was OK - - -I requested verification - - still no reply.

I am assuming that I am good to go - - -

30 years and this could definitely be my last!

Well here is some news. I just read an article in the Journal of Accountancy that the IRS office that is handling the PTIN's said it will not reject and returns that are prepared by someone who uses a non-registered PTIN or social security number. They will, however, send a notification letter at the end of the tax season. They do not want to put a burden on the tax payer just because the paid preparer is not registered. Now, how does that work with compliance to ensure the paid preparer is qualified???? I had no trouble at all registering my 14 year old PTIN. I do know that some did and still are experiencing difficulties. But this article seems to say it really doesn't matter. Here is the article

http://www.journalofaccountancy.com/Web/20113715.htm