ATX Community

Install ATX 2007 Software -WIn Vista

Crank

Trying to install the 2007 version of ATX (for amended returns) on Windows Vista. The program starts to install but just hangs at 0%. I called tech support and they said it only runs on XP not Vista but I had it running on this Vista machine last year. Also,they wont elevate the issue because they are only working on 2010 TY software which seems a little ridiculous since I paid for the program and I need to do an amendment in 2010.

If anyone knows how to get this installed please let me know.

Thanks

That's kinda why I have 3 older computers hanging around. They really don't take up much space but I know the programs are there even though I have 2000 forward on this one (XP). You just never know. When I completely retire, all those hard drives get smashed to smithereens! Hmmm, now that I think about it, with 10 years of programs and files on this one, I could probably risk destroying those older ones now. Sentimental, I guess, for when I want to hear that old Saber roar again.

Thank you all for the replies.

That may be the option I have to go but I know I had it on this Vista machine last year and over the summer I cleaned everything up and reinstalled Vista. I did try turning off my antivirus and then I booted into Safe mode and set the file properties to run in XP compatibiltiy mode. The program installed to 15% and then hung for 10 minutes so I shut it down. I may try that again and just let it go, who knows it may install after a longer time period. Still kind of crazy that ATX says they arent supporting something that was purchased and is still valid for this year for doing amendments

It may also do some nasty things to your computer while it's trying to sort out how to install itself. Not worth the risk, IMO. In the tech orld we live in today, "compatibility" means lots of different things to different people. That's why they hide behind vague words rather than just saying "Yes, it will work." It brings enough ambiguity to the conversation to keep them off the hook.

I still have an active computer running Win 98 just for situations like this. I won't let it near an internet connection, which means there are some forms it can't produce because it can't update, but it's there for the majority of the "prior year" situations I might encounter.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update if anyone is in a similar situation and needs to amend a 2007 return using ATX software and doesnt have a spare computer running WindowsXP. I finally got it installed on a Vista machine, despite ATX's refusal to support a purchased product which is still needed to do tax returns in 2011. I previously stated that I have had this Vista machine sine 9/08 and had ATX 2007 on it since that time. This summer I decided to reformat and reinstall Vista to clean up the registery.

When I attempted to install 2007 ATX it would stall at the "% install srceen". That alone showed that it will run under Vista if it got that far. After several attempts including, running the program in WindowsXP mode, turning off the Anti-Virus software and booting into Safe-mode, I quit... for a while.

My machine has two cd/dvd r/rw drives and I typically use the top one, an Optiarc, which was giving the problem so I tried the second optiocal drive, a HL-DT, and the process ran sooth as silk.

Now Im not sure why the Optiarc drive choked on the 2007 ATX software since it runs everything else just fine.

So, Bottom line if anyone cares ... 2007 ATX software runs just fine on a Windows Vista 64bit machine, contrary to what ATX tech support claims. My next attempt would have been to try to install it using Wine software with Linux Mint since I configured this machine to be a dual-boot of Vista/Linux.

Oh, and ATX, your refusal to support (or even discuss) this issue just gives me one more reason that Im glad I didnt renew with you this year(been with ATX/Saber since TY 1997) and gave TRX (TaxWorks) a try and saved about $700 while getting more forms/features.