#1 Janitor Bob

Janitor Bob

ATX Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • State:OH

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

I have never seen this before. Taxpayer is government employee and on his W-2, Box 14, there is $370.36 denoted as "K" (Tax on Excess Golden Parachute Payments)

What is this?

Same Client also has in box 14 $959.77 denoted as "V" (Income from exercise of nonstatutory stock option)...What is this?

I have never seen either of these before.

#2 Margaret CPA in OH

Margaret CPA in OH

ATX Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:29 AM

JB, you may have made the same mistake that I did when entering some client data from the W-2. I clicked on the drop down box for Box 12, not Box 14. When I asked him about the NSO, he was puzzled and said it was supposed to be pretax health benefits. I blushed.

#3 OldJack

OldJack

ATX Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:45 AM

>>$959.77 denoted as "V" (Income from exercise of nonstatutory stock option)...What is this?<<

It was income added to the W2 as a benefit received by the taxpayer and becomes a part of the taxpayers tax cost basis in the stock issued or sold. when the stock is sold it is added to cost basis on Sch-D.

#4 Margaret CPA in OH

Margaret CPA in OH

ATX Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:54 AM

Thanks, OldJack, for a good explanation but I think JB needs to first be sure that it is in Box 12 or Box 14. I think that is a Box 12 code, not a Box 14 code.

#5 Janitor Bob

Janitor Bob

ATX Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

Thanks, OldJack, for a good explanation but I think JB needs to first be sure that it is in Box 12 or Box 14. I think that is a Box 12 code, not a Box 14 code.

It is definately box 14

#6 Margaret CPA in OH

Margaret CPA in OH

ATX Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

Well, JB, then I wonder if the preparer of the W-2 has erred. I do find it unlikely that the codes for Boxes 12 and 14 would be identical. I also thought that Box 14 was for information and special purposes only. The instructions for W-2's state that the two items that you mention are to be reported in Box 12 with the codes that you state. Just sayin'

#7 Janitor Bob

Janitor Bob

ATX Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:32 AM

Well, JB, then I wonder if the preparer of the W-2 has erred. I do find it unlikely that the codes for Boxes 12 and 14 would be identical. I also thought that Box 14 was for information and special purposes only. The instructions for W-2's state that the two items that you mention are to be reported in Box 12 with the codes that you state. Just sayin'

I wondered that myself...The only thing in box 12 (a) is what client put into his 401k...denoted with "D"

I looked at his returns from prior years and his W-2s did not have the "V", but has always had the "K" in box 14

#8 Margaret CPA in OH

Margaret CPA in OH

ATX Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:50 AM

So how likely is it that this government employee has, for multiple years yet, Golden Parachute Payments? Do government employees have golden parachutes? I thought those were creations of the corporate world and not a recurring item when still employed. None of my clients were ever so blessed with such payments so I really have no experience with that. Ask the client how s/he likes that parachute?

#9 OldJack

OldJack

ATX Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

It does not matter which box they reported the code V (if in error) as it is still the same tax treatment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users