ATX Community

W-2, Box 14, K

Janitor Bob

I have never seen this before. Taxpayer is government employee and on his W-2, Box 14, there is $370.36 denoted as "K" (Tax on Excess Golden Parachute Payments)

What is this?

Same Client also has in box 14 $959.77 denoted as "V" (Income from exercise of nonstatutory stock option)...What is this?

I have never seen either of these before.

>>$959.77 denoted as "V" (Income from exercise of nonstatutory stock option)...What is this?<<

It was income added to the W2 as a benefit received by the taxpayer and becomes a part of the taxpayers tax cost basis in the stock issued or sold. when the stock is sold it is added to cost basis on Sch-D.

Well, JB, then I wonder if the preparer of the W-2 has erred. I do find it unlikely that the codes for Boxes 12 and 14 would be identical. I also thought that Box 14 was for information and special purposes only. The instructions for W-2's state that the two items that you mention are to be reported in Box 12 with the codes that you state. Just sayin'

Well, JB, then I wonder if the preparer of the W-2 has erred. I do find it unlikely that the codes for Boxes 12 and 14 would be identical. I also thought that Box 14 was for information and special purposes only. The instructions for W-2's state that the two items that you mention are to be reported in Box 12 with the codes that you state. Just sayin'

I wondered that myself...The only thing in box 12 (a) is what client put into his 401k...denoted with "D"

I looked at his returns from prior years and his W-2s did not have the "V", but has always had the "K" in box 14

So how likely is it that this government employee has, for multiple years yet, Golden Parachute Payments? Do government employees have golden parachutes? I thought those were creations of the corporate world and not a recurring item when still employed. None of my clients were ever so blessed with such payments so I really have no experience with that. Ask the client how s/he likes that parachute?