ATX Community

Californian Practitioners and W-2 box 14

Lucho

What term or code do you use to enter the amount for line 14 in W-2 when the box has CAVDI as the reference?

Most of W-2 box 14 show amounts with code CASDI.

What does CAVDI stand for? I assume stands for "California Veterans Disability Insurance" (it is not in the drop down list; my clients are itemizing.

Thank you

Lucho

CAVDI = California Voluntary Disability Insurance. From Jainen in 2009 from Fairmark.com "The "V" in VPDI is the EMPLOYER's voluntary choice, not the worker's. The employee pays 100% of it up to the maximum SDI limit, and it is treated exactly like SDI for state purposes. It is NOT a tax, however, because the "P" stands for the employers private plan, and it is not paid to any taxing agency.

VPDI is therefore not deductible on the federal Schedule A, but it can contribute to an SDI overpayment on the state return."

CAVDI = California Voluntary Disability Insurance. From Jainen in 2009 from Fairmark.com "The "V" in VPDI is the EMPLOYER's voluntary choice, not the worker's. The employee pays 100% of it up to the maximum SDI limit, and it is treated exactly like SDI for state purposes. It is NOT a tax, however, because the "P" stands for the employers private plan, and it is not paid to any taxing agency.

VPDI is therefore not deductible on the federal Schedule A, but it can contribute to an SDI overpayment on the state return."

Thank you for your help JRS, I really appreciate it.

Lucho