ATX Community

1099 Misc and form 1096

imjulier

Anyone know if we can file multiple e-files containing 1099s and 1096 for the same issuer? Client just came to me and said that their 1099 file they provided was incomplete. Issued 4 before and now need to issue another 5.

Thanks,

Julie

I have done so in the past for several of my medical clients and all has gone through just fine.

Maribeth

No, it does not need a corrected 1096 unless you are correcting an already issued 1099. For the situation of just issuing new forms, you just do the regular 1096 for those forms.

The 1096 is just basically a 'cover letter' for the 1099's, so it does not matter if there end up being more than one of them, each one it related to the 1099s sent with it.

And yes, I've done it before, and no problems at all.

No, it does not need a corrected 1096 unless you are correcting an already issued 1099. For the situation of just issuing new forms, you just do the regular 1096 for those forms.

The 1096 is just basically a 'cover letter' for the 1099's, so it does not matter if there end up being more than one of them, each one it related to the 1099s sent with it.

And yes, I've done it before, and no problems at all.

Now I understand how the IRS ends up with multiple copies of the same 1099 (not proven by a possibility). Be careful when you do this type of correction.

Let's say I efiled 3 1099 with 1096 totaling 15K (5K each 1099). After I have efiled, client tells me that he forgot to include 2 more 1099s for 10K each. What do I do? Do I print out all the forms and then delete all 1099s and enter the two missing and transmit another 1096 for $20K?

Or do I rollever the client again and enter the 2 1099 missing and efile from the second rollever? This will include ONLY 2 1099 and a 1096 for $20K.