3 replies to this topic

#1 jasdlm

jasdlm

ATXaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

I have never even seen one of these before. I have no idea where to begin. Client says he 'lost about $15,000'. If I am reading the 1099-B correctly, he is right. Box 8 lists 3 positive numbers and a negative number (profit/loss on futures - converted to USD and then date).

Box 9 - Total unrealized P/L converted to USD on futures - another date.

Box 11 - Aggregate Profit or (Loss) from lines 8, 9 and 10 (although there is no line 10) - this is where the $-15,000 number appears.

I googled this and now am even more confused.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

#2 jasdlm

jasdlm

ATXaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:39 PM

Okay . . . I'm reading the instructions for Form 6781. Hopefully, I am on the right track.

Twice in the last 3 days I have posted a question and then found the answer myself immediately following. I wish I knew how to delete.

Sorry!

#3 Pacun

Pacun

ATX Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,465 posts
  • State:DC

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:27 PM

Okay . . . I'm reading the instructions for Form 6781. Hopefully, I am on the right track.

Twice in the last 3 days I have posted a question and then found the answer myself immediately following. I wish I knew how to delete.

Sorry!

The idea is to share. Why don't you post your findings?

#4 rfassett

rfassett

ATXaholics Anonymous

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:34 PM

You are on the right track. My one client that hedges actually turned a profit this year. Surprised the heck out of both of us. In fact, out of habit, I entered it as a loss and then caught it while reviewing the return. I had to call the client to see if his account got mixed up with someone elses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users