ATX Community

buying new pc. is there an easy way to move my atx database?

schirallicpa

i will suggest you to install 2009, 20010 and 2011 on your new computer. This is what you need to do:

Install 2009 and copy the database folder from your old computer. Open an existing return, make changes and save it. Create a dummy return and save it. Print a return.

Install 2010 and the exactly the same thing. For this year, you should roll over a return and test it.

Install 2011 and roll over a return and test it. You should be done.

So Dear Jack, please give us all a great gift and share this wonderful knowledge. Eventually we will all be faced with this very issue and would be eternally grateful to you and 'the most knowledgeable tech ATX has." Perhaps you could provide it as a link or attachment accessible to those who need/want it. Be a true Santa Baby!

Do you want the directions for a single computer or for a network (2 or more sharing the same files)? To understand, you must be a little computer savvy. In order to post the instructions to cover all possibilities, it will be quite lengthy. I prefer to talk on the phone and walk you through it so as to cover all the different "quirks" that will be encountered.

Different operating systems, different network setups, peer to peer or server, etc.

This is the case of 70% of us. We have an aging Windows XP computer and just bought a new computer with Windows 7.

You can start with a Windows 7 server and a Windows XP workstation using ethernet and peer to peer.

The Windows XP workstation is a very slow computer that takes 20 minutes to boot up completely BUT has ATX installed for years 2002-2010 and has all the data. The Windows 7 computer is brand new and has a lot of power and storage space.

• Like 1

Good topic to remind all of us to be prepared for computer changes, voluntary or involuntary. It should be something you have planned, documented, and most importantly, tested, retested, and tested again.

It is now nearly every day I have a customer who has a computer change of some sort and asks how (after the fact) to get the information from our web site (nope, we do not store data for our customers), from a "backup" someone made for them (geek squad type, how would I have any idea what the person did for them?), or from a hard drive they have in their hand that someone at the "computer place" gave them.

• Like 2

This is how I did it for my wife. I copied the ATX folder from C:\Program Files. We were converting from individual installs to a network install, so I copied it to a shared folder. You then run the netsetup.exe file, found in the netsetup folder inside of the ATX folder. I discovered that you can run this file even if you're not doing a network install, and it installs and creates shortcuts for you.

For instance, the older versions of ATX only made shortcuts for the current user, not all users. So when I added a user account for my wife, she didn't have the shortcuts. I just ran the netsetup, and it created all of that.

Can't hurt to try it, and see how it works for you. If it doesn't do what you want, then uninstall and start over.

Just in case you are interested in installing the network fresh.

When we install ATX on our computers, (I believe it started a while ago, maybe 3+ years) we install the server version of a network installation. Since we don't have a second computer (my case), we use our server and network version as a stand alone installation but in reality it is the "server and network" portion of it. If you need to expand it, you just install the other computer from that ATX folder and you will have the truly "network" version of the installation.

In short, we all have the network and server portion already installed, we just need to add a networked work station.

Just in case you are interested in installing the network fresh.

When we install ATX on our computers, (I believe it started a while ago, maybe 3+ years) we install the server version of a network installation. Since we don't have a second computer (my case), we use our server and network version as a stand alone installation but in reality it is the "server and network" portion of it. If you need to expand it, you just install the other computer from that ATX folder and you will have the truly "network" version of the installation.

In short, we all have the network and server portion already installed, we just need to add a networked work station.

That works as long as the computer you are using is not a true "server" with "server software" running on it. ATX programs (Especially 2010 & 2011) are NOT compatible to run using server software.

If you are just using an XP or WIN 7 machine as a file server, your process will be just fine.

This information comes from FIRSTHAND experience and over 60 hours of troubleshooting to find and finally fix the issues.

Okay, Jack, you have me worried. We are running on a Server 2003 environment and have not had a problem with 2010 or 2011, But we plan tentatively to replace the server next spring/summer. Are we going to have difficulty restoring our data from those years when we change machines? I guess there is no point in borrowing trouble.

Okay, Jack, you have me worried. We are running on a Server 2003 environment and have not had a problem with 2010 or 2011, But we plan tentatively to replace the server next spring/summer. Are we going to have difficulty restoring our data from those years when we change machines? I guess there is no point in borrowing trouble.

I just upgraded our 2003 Server to 2008 server and have installed /copied programs from 2007 - 2010 and installed 2011 with our any problems or issues. all of them are working fine.

Devm

When you get the new server, contact me. I did EXACTLY what you are planning to do. Wasted 60+ hours due to previous erronious tech support information. Finally was put in contact with a tech (forgot his name, excuse my senior moment) who ACTUALLY KNEW how the programs interact with servers and computers. He gave me the straight and FUNCTIONAL way to transfer.

1. Do not disconnect or disable the old server until after everything is set up on the new one. If you are not too far away, I would visit you and help you with it. I now know all the things NOT to do, as well as the best way to migrate the program. Do NOT use any migration programs from ANYONE!!!

Jack

Additional note: There will not be need to reinstall any programs that you currently have already installed.