ATX Community

1040A and 1040Ez

GeorgeM

I have been doing taxes for quite a few years, and since I have used computers I have found no reason to use 1040A and 1040EZ. I have always found it easier to just use the 1040. To me it was just easier to fill in a 1040 from the forms view of ATX and took less time trying to remember 3 different forms.

Does anyone still use the 1040A?

How about the 1040EZ?

Maybe this will affect the way any new programs are made. It will be less forms to worry about.

I have been doing taxes for quite a few years, and since I have used computers I have found no reason to use 1040A and 1040EZ. I have always found it easier to just use the 1040. To me it was just easier to fill in a 1040 from the forms view of ATX and took less time trying to remember 3 different forms.

Does anyone still use the 1040A?

How about the 1040EZ?

Maybe this will affect the way any new programs are made. It will be less forms to worry about.

I have always used strictly 1040....that way, all credits are available....why start with a 1040A or EZ...then later switch to a 1040 when you realize client fogot something and adds information?

The firm I work for during the day, (3,000+) clients, and I myself, (150+) only use 1040. The 1040A and 1040EZ were designed for people using a pencil. It is no more effort to do 1040 and one size fits all.

So with all these preparers and I suppose all the ones that did not answer, if a new program will be made up leave out the 1040A and the 1040EZ and do a lot less programing.

I have never use 1040a or 1040ez, i have found that when the 1040a/ez forms are used, it does not catch forms that need to be added for other taxes, credits, deductions etc.

i do efiles for preprepared returns and almost always find some thing that the 1040a/ez does not catch. i then am able to get the client more money and they think i am a miracle worker.

think it would be great if they made a software with out 1040a/ez

cliff

1040PRO of AZ

>>never use 1040a<<

You should let the software select the required form after data entry. If the taxpayer is eligible to use the short form you may disadvantage them by printing Form 1040. School financial aid is one area in which the two forms are treated differently.

Not true. While the different forms may require you to use different lines to fill out the Financial Aid forms, it's the same info, and does not affect the outcome at all.

I agree, 1040 input is more consistent. The first year I used ATX I tried using the 1040A input when it seemed appropriate. Turned out to be a mistake. I found that the input screens were slightly different than on the 1040 and I caught a mistake, thankfully before filing. When I input the Soc Sec Income screen, I admit I went on "auto pilot"... dangerous!! We are creatures of "habit". Our fingers get to know how many enter, enter, enter's it takes to get to the line we want.

I accidentally entered the Medicare w/h on the Fed Tax w/h line on the 1040A input screen. Guess what, because you don't use sch A on the 1040A, there was no line to input the Medicare w/h.

Oops! It ended up on the tax w/h line instead. Here in Michigan we need the health insurance paid to flow over the the MI 1040-Cr -- so I always input it.

I caught the problem immediately when I reviewed the 1040A and had a large refund, and realized there was Fed Tax w/h showing when I hadn't input any, the jump to feature took me right back to the error on the input screen. Quick fix, but I learned my lesson. Be consistent. use the 1040.

I hope my story helps someone out there from repeating my mistake.

I use a small amount of 1040EZ, but only as a marketing ploy. I price them cheap and put them in my advertisements. If the taxpayer qualifies, I knock it out in 10 minutes and they are happy and I have a new client that will probably need a 1040 in the future.

I do not use 1040A. Everything else is 1040.

Tom

Lodi, CA

School financial aid is one area in which the two forms are treated differently.

The school financial aid forms I have seen ask if form 1040A was filed, and if not, it asks if 1040A COULD have been filed. Apparently, if income is received that can't be put on a 1040A, it disqualifies the person from receiving the aid but if that type of income is not received, they don't care if a 1040 was used. There are probably exceptions, but apparently they use that as a guideline.

I agree, 1040 input is more consistent. The first year I used ATX I tried using the 1040A input when it seemed appropriate. Turned out to be a mistake. I found that the input screens were slightly different than on the 1040 and I caught a mistake, thankfully before filing. When I input the Soc Sec Income screen, I admit I went on "auto pilot"... dangerous!! We are creatures of "habit". Our fingers get to know how many enter, enter, enter's it takes to get to the line we want.

I accidentally entered the Medicare w/h on the Fed Tax w/h line on the 1040A input screen. Guess what, because you don't use sch A on the 1040A, there was no line to input the Medicare w/h.

Oops! It ended up on the tax w/h line instead. Here in Michigan we need the health insurance paid to flow over the the MI 1040-Cr -- so I always input it.

I did the exact same thing last year on the ONLY 1040A return I do. Unfortunately I didn't catch the mistake prior to efiling but you can rest assured that the IRS did so I got to pay the penalty and interest on my client's behalf. Stupid, stupid mistake that ended up costing me more than I charged the client to do the return. It won't happen again because I won't use the 1040A anymore.