ATX Community

Signature forms for 1040 on extension

mitzi

I realize it's a little early, but since last year was my first efiling, I ended up using paper 4868s for extensions. Since I typically see only 1 spouse of a joint 1040, I have trouble enough getting 2 signatures on a 8879, much less 2 more for an 8878 (whereas a non-paying 4868 doesn't need any signatures & I can mail it myself).

Any help on how others handle this?

Most of my cients who request extensions do so my phone or e-mail. If my clients need a Form 8878 and I don't see them, I'll e-mail or fax it to them. They can either sign and send back to me to e-file or they can mail it themselves. I haven't mailed any 4868s or 8878s. I e-file or they snail mail.

Hope that helps.

Your clients need to understand we can't do anything without their signatures. When they say "I'll get around to it," you need to make them understand the consequences of procrastination. Whether it be a later than expected refund or interest on a late filing, they need to understand that you are not their baby sitter. Believe me, I speak from experience with a few ex clients. They get a couple of calls or emails and then I have to move on.