ATX Community

NT - Tired

Ray in Ohio

I feel you too! I am averaging right at 100 hours per week and when I looked at the calendar this morning I said is it REALLY March 1st. Then I said, OH MY GOSH, ITS MARCH 1st.

I keep a running total of what has been done, what is in house and what I think is yet to come. I estimate I am 30% of the way done. Can I REALLY do that much in the next 44 days (I stop doing returns on April 13th). And of the 70% left to do, 50 of the returns are corps due in 15 days. Oh well - I do what I can and everything else gets extended.

And after having said all of that, I DO NOT feel any less tired.

I am so tired that I don't even sleep well when I do sleep. They just keep coming. Have appts booked halfway through March; a large box of returns waiting to be done and many clients I have not even heard from yet. I have made a firm commitment to make my office larger asap and have room to put a helper next year. At the moment I just have my little space to sit in and two chairs for clients. When I see them coming with children, I just have to block it out. I wonder why we do this to ourselves even though I know that most of us actually enjoy the challenges and friendships we have made over the years.

• Like 1

Extensions begin in 9 days in my office.

Everyone has been forewarned - no exceptions.

A couple of folks whose brokers said they wouldnt getbtheir statement until March 15 are whining, but I just tell them there's nothing I can do about it. (that's a nice way of saying I'm not responsible for your brokers' laziness) Although I did tell one client that the gain/loss statement the broker sent them with a sticky note saying this would " help the tax guy get started " just doesn't cut it. He's just being creative in trying to pass the buck...

• Like 2

I had a massive heart attack 3 1/2 years ago. I have learned to do what I can and not worry about the rest. After all, worrying doesn't accomplish a thing. When I walk out of my office at night, I don't give any thought about what is on the other side of the door. I usually work from about 9:00 or 9:30 in the morning until about 7:00 or 8:00 at night SIX days a week during tax season. I love extensions. When I was younger, I would sometimes work all day and all night, and then go home and sleep until about noon and then go back and work until night. No more. IT ISN'T WORTH IT.

• Like 3

I'm trying to make my boyfriend understand that if I'm awake at night, like I am now, it means I can work. He is trying to get me to go to sleep earlier, so I'm not so fried all the time. I feel a bit better for my workload though, now that I've pulled out some big folders (longtime clients so they take up a lot of room in the inbox), and so it looks like I've got less to do.

I wish he'd read some of you all's statements so he'd get the idea.

We all get a bit fried this time of year, and usually if I go to bed earlier, it just means I wake up earlier and start worrying about the work undone so I go in earler. I just can't make the day longer by cutting time off one end and tying it on the other. But it only runs at this pace for a couple of months, and then I go back to the "normal" stress level. :spaz:

We all get a bit fried this time of year, and usually if I go to bed earlier, it just means I wake up earlier and start worrying about the work undone so I go in earler. I just can't make the day longer by cutting time off one end and tying it on the other. But it only runs at this pace for a couple of months, and then I go back to the "normal" stress level. :spaz:

Please define that term. It is a completely foreign term to me??

• Like 1

Normal = 50 hour weeks instead of 80+

Phones not starting at 730 am and asking were is my, refund, tax return, just checking to see if you need any thing and when do you think you will be done, and they are the ones who did not listen when I said they would be lucky if I called them in two weeks,and they only drop off information yesterday

• Like 1

"Normal", like "beauty", is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak. The "normal" 60 to 65 hours per week that some of us work during the "off season" is a brutal schedule for others (nobody on this board, of course). And speaking of the less than sane phone calls, I truly have had two calls this year asking when I would be finishing their return, both of which I countered with, "do we have all of your information?", and both said, without hesitation, "no". Somebody on this board needs to teach me how to NOT throw the phone during those kinds of calls. Are you kidding me? :dunno: ;)

• Like 2

When I moved the office home a couple of months ago, one of the best purchases that I made was a new phone with a couple of cordless extensions with a do not disturb button. I love it. Any calls in the middle of the night or early before I get up, just go to voice mail and I am none the wiser. I see that people have called me at 6 AM since I am now supposed to be working 24-7. After taking a nice trip to the hospital in the rescue squad in November, I moved up my extension date and am not working much more than 12-14 hours now. I love working at home and wish that I had done it sooner. I don't seem to have lost any clients and they have all liked my new office. I still lose a lot of sleep, but it is anxiety over my 17 year old that thinks he is 30 and

worrying about my sick husband.

I have always worked from home and would not wish it any other way. In fact, if I decide to take the testing and continue, I am going to add on to my office. However, clients can be downright rude and thoughtless. It is Sunday at 1:20 and I just had a call from a client wanting to pick up her return. Not only did I not answer the call, but after letting it go to voice mail; I unplugged the phone. I am going to take a nap with a good book and my husband is going to watch Nascar. Life is too short to allow clients to name your hours and days.

• Like 1

I am so tired I use the shopping cart to buy a single loaf of bread. The cart is to hold me up.

Unfortunately it is not because of taxes. February 14th my parents 93.5 yrs. and 86 yrs. old were thrown out of their home by my stepsister. I had 5 days to move them into assisted living. They are in but not settled. I have been over there to help them every day (except one) since. My house is full of their stuff. I had to cancel Saturday appointments to accomplish the move. Now it is just catch up- catch up –catch up.

You know the old saying “I will be glad when this is over so I can go back to work and get some rest”?

So if I ask some really lame questions this year, please forgive me.

Linda

Life continues to happen during tax season. I am fortunate this year that I don't have any situations to compare with LInda or Randall - I am closer to NECPA. My son is 20, and my husband is continuing to have atrial fibrallation which the cardiac ablation last fall does not seem to have helped at all. But my heart goes out to you Linda and Randall, and I will add you to my prayer list.

I will continue to pray for all the members of this community and their families. You are great water cooler friends. Sometimes, like today I will the season was a little longer just to try and catch up on the paper work. Oh well extensions here they come.

• Like 2

Randall

I had to take my moms step stool away from her. She fell several times, luckly with out breaking anything. My 93 yr old father on the other had has never (nock on wood) had a fall. Step stools of any kind are not alowed in the assisted living complex.

My prayers are with your mom. (Prayer is just about all I have the energy for lately)

"(Prayer is just about all I have the energy for lately)"

And that is all that you ever need:

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint."