ATX Community

Cannot e-file because income is zero

Janitor Bob

So it's alright to submit and swearer it's correct just because its only incorrect by $1 dollar? Would you do the same if it was just $1 million? If not what is the difference? It's alright to lie in 2012?

Jack, that $1 could be chalked up to rounding. The difference in reporting $1 and your hypothetical $1 million is that the $1 will not affect the amount of the tax liability calculated on the return, but you already know that. When we complete a Schedule D, I hope that we all tie in the total proceeds reported back to the 1099-B, but in order to get to that number, sometimes it is necessary to adjust one or two of the sales by $1 to make the total work out. Does that make it a lie? I don't think so. What about the cost and net gain or loss? Rounding on entering each individual cost basis sometimes yields a difference of several dollars in the totals of the cost and gain or loss as compared to those totals reported by the brokers on their summaries when not rounded.

• Like 1

>>Does that make it a lie? I don't think so.<<

@jklcpa: Rounding is allowed and if thats what it is no problem. Adding or subtracting a made-up dollar or more is in violation of your ethics. Is it still ok to add more than $1, say $2, if that is what will make it efile?

>>

Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this return and accompanying schedules and statements, and to the best of my knowledge and belief, they are true, correct, and complete. Declaration of preparer (other than taxpayer) is based on all information of which preparer has any knowledge.<<

I'm sitting here with Forms 1099-INT for $0.42 and $0.18 for one client. My software would round those amounts down to zero. And, I know that many of my clients had up to $9.99 in interest that was not reported to them from one or more banks. Some even tell me they called their bank and had $7.56 interest, for example, which I report. The IRS wants me to e-file and the client wants to e-file and it's April, so NO I do not feel dishonest if I report interest that the client agrees to but is not reported to the IRS.

• Like 2

>>Be AFRAID!! Be VERY AFRAID!!!<<

Yes, I am afraid. I am afraid of the cavalier attitude that has discredited professional tax and accounting work. I am afraid of low standards of quality that has caused the IRS to rewrite its ethics guide. I am afraid that some of my colleagues care more about their workflow procedures than about the accuracy of their data.

>>Be AFRAID!! Be VERY AFRAID!!!<<

Yes, I am afraid. I am afraid of the cavalier attitude that has discredited professional tax and accounting work. I am afraid of low standards of quality that has caused the IRS to rewrite its ethics guide. I am afraid that some of my colleagues care more about their workflow procedures than about the accuracy of their data.

Seriously?? All this over $1.00?

• 3 weeks later...

I love you, Jack, but I still think your position on this one is silly. It benefits not only the client and the preparer, it also benefits the IRS when we efile a return, and I do not consider it a lie at all, since everybody has normally had, over a year's time, some 'unreported income' of at least a dollar. Like the quarter I found on the ground next the the gas pump last time I filled up, the nickle I found in the change slot of the vending machine at the hospital last week, along with my own quarter in change, etc. And yes, there is a big difference in $1 and $100, because one makes no difference to the taxes and the other probably does. But I don't see it as any difference than the issue of amending a return for a late arriving 1099. The IRS says clearly that you should NOT file a 1040X that makes no change to the amount owed or refunded, unless it involves some other significant item. And when doing an audit, they will write up as a 'no-change' any audit where the changes they did find did not change the bottom line more than $50, where there are no other issues that might affect a past or future return.

• Like 4

I guess that some preparers think that the IRS closely scrutinizes ALL tax returns.

I however, live and work in a world where REALITY is much different.

Please share with me where an auditor has make ANY remark, or made ANY change concerning a $1 entry of any kind??

We have dealt with an auditor that did not know that when you claim standard deduction the prior year, that state tax refund is NOT taxable in this tax year. (true story)