ATX Community

Registered for the RTRP exam

Janitor Bob

I don't know if speacial is the right word to discribe me, but I can say in all honesty I am soooooooooooo relieved!

20 years ago was the last time I had to pass any type of graded test, that's when I became a CTEC registered tax preparer (in California we've had to complete an initial test, and then continued education each year for as long as I've been preparing taxes). The difference between then and now is that then I just came off a class of book learning, now I've had 20 years experience.

The most difficult part of the exam in my opinion was trying to over think the questions. Some were extremely easy but some required serious thought, and the harder I thought the worse it got, so I finally took a sensible approach and tried to answer the question by asking my self what seems to be the most reasonable choice, and who knows if I was right or wrong, it really doesn't matter because overall I passed!

Deb!

• Like 2

It is mandatory, and it gives you nothing except the ability to say that you have passed the test. No additional privileges with the IRS.

A certification with no benefits!!

The benefit of passing the test is the ability to continue to prepare income tax returns for pay. It is incorrect to say that there are no benefits. I am not nearly as concerned about the "pay" part as I am about the continuation of my services to my clients until "I" am ready to say Quit. Actually, I rather like the certificate because it says that I definitely know something about what I have been doing for 30 years.

• Like 1

The benefit of passing the test is the ability to continue to prepare income tax returns for pay. It is incorrect to say that there are no benefits. I am not nearly as concerned about the "pay" part as I am about the continuation of my services to my clients until "I" am ready to say Quit. Actually, I rather like the certificate because it says that I definitely know something about what I have been doing for 30 years.

Anyone can apply for a PTIN and start preparing taxes for pay. The IRS has rescinded the requirement to pass the test before getting a PTIN. The whole registration and testing for PTIN is just a money grab from those of us who have been complying for years.

I am complying, but the only benefit is the ability to put the letters after my name.

I predict that the Dec. 31, 2013 deadline will be moved forward as well. I also predict that the IRS will soften or remove the requirement to document (no mention of how to do that so far...) CPE credits before renewal of PTIN.

The only testing and registration requirements I see with any tangible benefits is becoming and E.A.

No, you were able to apply for a PTIN up until Dec. 2010 and prepare taxes for pay, but have until Dec. 31, 2012 to pass the exam. Anyone that does not have a PTIN must pass the exam before they get the PTIN. Where did you see that the requirement was rescinded?

No, you were able to apply for a PTIN up until Dec. 2010 and prepare taxes for pay, but have until Dec. 31, 2012 to pass the exam. Anyone that does not have a PTIN must pass the exam before they get the PTIN. Where did you see that the requirement was rescinded?

Before you begin your PTIN application, be sure you have the following available:

• Social Security Number
  • Personal information (name, mailing address, date of birth)
  • Business information (name, mailing address, telephone number)
  • Previous year’s individual tax return (name, address, filing status) 1
  • Explanations for felony convictions (if any) 2
  • Explanations for problems with your U.S. individual or business tax obligations (if any) 2
  • Credit or debit card for the $64.25 PTIN user fee
  • If applicable, your supervisor’s PTIN (view the Notice 2011-6 fact sheet for more information)
  • If applicable, any U.S.-based professional certification information (CPA, attorney, enrolled agent, enrolled retirement plan agent, enrolled actuary, certified acceptance agent, or state license) including certification number, jurisdiction of issuance, and expiration date

If you already have a PTIN, you will NOT be asked to enter it in this new application. You may or may not get the same PTIN at the end of the sign-up process.

Once you gather all of your information, just follow four easy steps to obtain your PTIN:

• Create Your Account — First, you must create an account by providing your name, email address and security question information. The system will then email your temporary password, which you will change when you go back to enter your information in the PTIN application.
  • Apply for Your PTIN — You will complete the online application by providing personal information, information about your previous year’s tax return, professional credentials, and more as shown above.
  • Pay Your Fee — The application will transfer you to our partner bank where you will make your payment of $64.25 by credit card or direct debit.
  • Get Your PTIN — After the bank confirms your payment, your PTIN is provided online.

After you obtain your PTIN, you will receive a welcome letter and information about next steps including testing and continuing education requirements (if applicable).

Note: All PTIN correspondence is delivered through secure online messaging in your PTIN account. Use the most up-to-date email address when obtaining your PTIN to ensure that you receive our messages.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

IRS Test Requirements for Becoming a Paid Tax Professional

Certified Public Accountants and Attorneys may prepare federal individual income tax returns and represent clients before the IRS without passing an IRS test. (But they must obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number and renew it annually.)

Other individuals who want to prepare federal individual income tax returns (Form 1040 series) for compensation and/or represent clients before the IRS must pass one of two IRS tests and become either an Enrolled Agent or Registered Tax Return Preparer:

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

5. If I don't have a PTIN, can I still prepare tax returns for compensation? (revised 6/9/11)

No. You must have a PTIN to prepare tax returns for compensation. To obtain your PTIN, submit an application online or using a paper Form W-12 and pay the required fee. If you submit your application online, your PTIN generally will be provided to you immediately after you complete the application process and pay the required fee. If you submit your application using a Form W-12, it may take 4 to 6 weeks for the IRS to process your application and for you to receive your PTIN.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************

Please show me where it shows that the test must be passed BEFORE the PTIN is issued?

I know I saw the notice from the IRS deciding to remove the requirement of testing before obtaining a PTIN.

FOUND IT!!

“How can I register for the Exam to get a PTIN, when I need a PTIN to register for the exam??”

The IRS issues provisional PTIN to individuals who are NOT attorneys, CPAs, or enrolled agents.

The PTINs are provisional because these individuals must still meet testing and/or suitability requirements before a permanent or "active" PTIN can be issued to them.

Initially the IRS planned to cease issuing provisional PTINs when the Registered Tax Return Preparer competency test began and to require individuals to pass the test and meet all other requirements before the issuance of a PTIN.

At this time the IRS plans to continue issuing provisional PTINs past April 18, 2012 and will determine the future of them by December 31, 2013.

Ok, but you to start to prepare returns, you have to pass the test. You have a 'provisional' PTIN.

You can prepare returns for pay just as soon as you have your PTIN. Even though it is called provisional until you pass the test.

5. If I don't have a PTIN, can I still prepare tax returns for compensation? (revised 6/9/11)

No. You must have a PTIN to prepare tax returns for compensation. To obtain your PTIN, submit an application online or using a paper Form W-12 and pay the required fee. If you submit your application online, your PTIN generally will be provided to you immediately after you complete the application process and pay the required fee. If you submit your application using a Form W-12, it may take 4 to 6 weeks for the IRS to process your application and for you to receive your PTIN.

I find no reference to passing the test before you are issued a PTIN, or before you can prepare returns for pay.

More IRS "hollow" deadlines and purposes.

You can prepare returns for pay just as soon as you have your PTIN. Even though it is called provisional until you pass the test.

I find no reference to passing the test before you are issued a PTIN, or before you can prepare returns for pay.

More IRS "hollow" deadlines and purposes.

BUT, that applies only for 2012 and the preparation of 2012 and earlier returns. The IRS has already announced that they will NOT extend the deadline and Prometrics has announced that they will NOT be offering any additional testing facilities. It seems to me, Jack, that you are argueing just for the sake of arguement. You have made your point and are only proceeding to confuse people.

BUT, that applies only for 2012 and the preparation of 2012 and earlier returns. The IRS has already announced that they will NOT extend the deadline and Prometrics has announced that they will NOT be offering any additional testing facilities. It seems to me, Jack, that you are argueing just for the sake of arguement. You have made your point and are only proceeding to confuse people.

I am just pointing out the absurdity of the whole process. The IRS will extend again, the "second level" of testing is not even on the event horizon.

Up until December 2013, anyone can apply for a PTIN and start preparing returns for pay right away. So much for the testing "weeding out" unqualified people preparing taxes. This has been the IRS mantra from the beginning.

I am complying, but still stand by my opinion that the whole registration and testing process for PTIN holders is nothing but a money grab and a giant joke.

No confusion here. No mandatory testing to prepare returns until renewal time December 2013. (at this point, subject to change per the IRS administration whims)

• 2 weeks later...

Just took the RTRP exam in Fair Oaks, CA and, believe it or not, I passed. Thought I was too old to be taking tests. Guess I was wrong. I would advise a reading of Cicular 230 prior to taking the test. I was rustiest there. The computer research materials provided did lack seomething, however, it was good to have available. Will I ever find out what questions I actually missed or should I assume that I, of course, did not miss any?

• Like 4

We will never know!

I got so stressed out about taking the exam and then stressed while taking it that as soon as I received the congratulation letter I got sick and it took me 10 days to get over it. I agree about the circular 230, however I did go over it pretty well, and in my opinion some of the questions asked were not covered, but I do believe that common sense would come into play. Just my two cents worth!

By the way Congratulations!

Deb!

• Like 2

We will never know!

I got so stressed out about taking the exam and then stressed while taking it that as soon as I received the congratulation letter I got sick and it took me 10 days to get over it. I agree about the circular 230, however I did go over it pretty well, and in my opinion some of the questions asked were not covered, but I do believe that common sense would come into play. Just my two cents worth!

By the way Congratulations!

Deb!

Congratulatiions to both of you. I, like Mark, thought that I was too old to be taking tests and was a total basket case for about three days before. However, once I got into the cubicle, the calm descended and I found out that I actually knew most of this stuff. Am SO glad I got it over with early. Just hope they don't come up with any more bright ideas.

• Like 1