ATX Community

East coast

ILLMAS

Reporting in from Rockville Centre, N Y, south shore of Nassau County at 5:45 PM.

The winds are very strong and a large part of a tall oak tree in my backyard just fell on my neighbors garage and another neighbors backyard. Thank god noone was injured!

Little rain but extremely high water levels on the shore whre they evecuated everyone.

To put into prospective, I reside about 1 mile north of the mandatory evacuation areas.

Let's hope that this is the worst of it as the tracking models seem to be downplaying the potential for Long Island.

Ironic that we just encountered an electrical surge, didn't lose power for long.

I will keep you all posted.

Mike Dubin CPA

• Like 1

Just west of Boston.

We just got power back a while ago; it was out for a couple of hours. Lots of wind; the gusts kept making me look out the window as they sounded like big trucks rumbling by. Rain has been relatively light (but driven by the wind) except for a heavy patch mid-afternoon. Rain is picking up now. I would not be at all surprised to lose power again this evening or overnight. Lots of small branches down but nothing big in this area; maybe most of the likely culprits got taken out last year (when there was _lots_ of tree damage from the surprise snowstorm).

Flashlights and oil lanterns and candles at the ready. Was able to make some serious headway on replacing a zipper on a winter coat with the power out; old zipper is out and new one pinned in place. It was nice to have an un-escapable excuse not to do any client work!

• Like 1

Reporting from just north of Philadelphia. The region was slammed by Hurricane Sandy. Many folks are still without power and have been told it may not be restored for 5 to 7 more days. I’m fortunate in that I only lost power for a few hours. The Jersey Shore received an incredible amount of damage. Watching CNN shows just how severe the impact was. Some towns had 7 feet of sand pushed onto their streets. An amusement pier in Seaside partially collapsed and parts of the Atlantic City boardwalk were floating in the ocean. It’s very sad to see.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got communication (AT&T and Optimum) back this past Saturday night 10 November. AT&T had said Sunday between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.; with a music director hubby, we could not stay home from church for them to put the wires back into our house, so were very happy to see them a day early. They were able to do the house work, but had no cherry picker to connect our wires to the poles on the street. Ran out of poles before they could replace the three snapped off in front of our house, so waited until poles arrived from the midwest to get power back. Power went out the Monday of Sandy and returned the following Tuesday night, eight days. Five huge trees fell in our side yard, but just brushed past the house. A few more inches, and our house would've been crushed. Scared us! And winds sounded like trains going by, so we slept little for days listening as things snapped and running around with flashlights after each noise to look for damage to our house We're fine and our house is fine, just huge craters in our yard and root balls taller than we are. A branch broke the plastic cover on our heat pump and caused a leak in a pipe, so no coolant at all left. Repairman will have to return another time with materials. And, all our food had to be thrown out. Couldn't get out for a couple of days until they started clearing the streets; roads closed for days. But seeing news reports of Staten Island and Long Island make me feel really lucky.

• 5 years later...

Staying safely inside.  Haven't lost power yet, but we installed a generator after multiple hurricanes and don't have to worry about that now.  Total white out.  Doctor called yesterday to reschedule today's appointment.  Have an education committee meeting for NY/CT-ATP on Friday, but someone offered to pick me up.

• Like 3

We got lucky enough to be in the area with lower accumulations, but it's still drifting. As long as the power stays on, we're fine. If not, we'll fire up the generator.  I do feel sorry for those suffering the more extremes of this storm and especially the southerners that aren't equipped. 

I'm fighting the bone-chilling colder temps and the wind (only at 45 mph here) with a big batch of homemade chili.   Who's coming for dinner?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

I'm fighting the bone-chilling colder temps and the wind (only at 45 mph here) with a big batch of homemade chili.   Who's coming for dinner?

As soon as the airport opens I'm there.  Do you have enough cayenne?   I could also pick up some crusty pancetta and parmesan bread from Little Italy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

We need to have a chili cookoff.   I will bring my Bacon Jalapeno chili with red kidney beans.  I will bring some cornbread too.  And I don't want to hear from any of you Texans that chili should not have beans in it.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

It's soup and warm bread for us tonight.  Saturday is a really, really big bonfire at church, burning Christmas trees with our volunteer firefighters in control, and the proceeds going to Weston Warm-up Fund to help our neighbors with heat this frigid winter.  Chili and all the fixins inside.  I'll watch the bonfire from inside, I think!

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

We need to have a chili cookoff.   I will bring my Bacon Jalapeno chili with red kidney beans.  I will bring some cornbread too.  And I don't want to hear from any of you Texans that chili should not have beans in it.

Tom
Modesto, CA

I put carrots in my chili to soften the heat.  Bacon Jalapeno?   Yes!  Why didn't I ever think of that?

• Like 3