ATX Community

NT - BUT IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ

kcjenkins

I know we all hesitate to click on you-tube videos that are sent, but this one is something I really think we all need to know about.

This is not funny or cute, but it's something worth watching, and being aware of. I found it by accident, but it has made me really think about these things more deeply. PLEASE WATCH IT. This is not political at all, but important to all of us.

http://www.wimp.com/filterbubbles/

• Like 1

Thanks, KC, for sharing this. I had no idea... In an already divided society where so many of us search out only things which support our already decided opinions, it is not at all productive or educational to have the internet tools we use further this. How will we ever even consider that there may, in fact, be some validity in another point of view when we shield ourselves intentionally and otherwise from them. Much food for thought and now we are alerted.

Thanks KC. That was an interesting Ted Talk. One reason I'm a fan of the Drudge Report is the variety of links it provides to columnists across the political spectrum. D/R makes no pretense about its Conservative bias, but that doesn't extend to the links it provides down the center column. I know of no other online or print source which offers this much variety.

Yeah, Elrod, but if you mean me, I've only deleted one post in all the time we've had this board, and only warned 2 others. And I apologized for that one. I think Eric did one. Almost anything goes here, as long as it's done politely. We do insist on courtesy, but allow all points of view.

• Like 1

KC.....This site.....http://www.wimp.com/filterbubbles/

I use Firefox browser, which has a wide varity of protective addons. One of which is "Ghostery" It can be turned on or off, and it's function is to halt the

tracking of whoever is looking where we browse. For example, when I go to http://www.wimp.com/filterbubbles/ , I am being tracked by -Facebook Connect

-Facebook Social Plugins -Google Adsense -Google Analytics- and, Statcounter. This is five sites tracking me, or should I say, Trying to track me because

I usually have it active. I've been on some sites which have had over thirty other sites tracking me. This is what is happening to all of us.

As I write this post, there is one tracker now "Google + 1" Why......?....I Don't Know! This ATX forum should be just about us...BUT...watch it...We're

being followed.

Sorry KC if I upset Ya....You're doing fine.....Love your way.

Elrod

• Like 1

Bob,

I went there...http://venturebeat.c...he-ad-industry/

It had twenty eight trackers.....All were blocked.

What also helps on Firefox is an addon called "Adblock Plus"

Also..."BetterPrivacy"...."BrowserProtect"...."CacheStatus"....Redirect Remover" and others.

They're free....and I use them trouble free.

Now.....I ain't the Pres. of Firefox or nottin like that.....I just like their agressiveness in browser and browsing protection. :ninja:

Bob,

I went there...http://venturebeat.c...he-ad-industry/

It had twenty eight trackers.....All were blocked.

What also helps on Firefox is an addon called "Adblock Plus"

Also..."BetterPrivacy"...."BrowserProtect"...."CacheStatus"....Redirect Remover" and others.

They're free....and I use them trouble free.

Now.....I ain't the Pres. of Firefox or nottin like that.....I just like their agressiveness in browser and browsing protection. :ninja:

Very good point - thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

It's an interesting talk, KC, but I think this type of filtering exists because most people actually want it.

I find that most people would rather be reassured that their beliefs are correct and give considerably less thought to whether they're accurate, especially when it comes to politics. They choose their sources of information based on how it aligns with their political ideology. The result is that they are comfortable, but haven't ever even heard or given serious thought to the other side of the story. The other result is people who take an interest in politics end up moving further to the far left and far right ends of the political spectrum, consequently annoying friends and family on Facebook with constant regurgitation of pundit talking points.

I wish political pundits would disappear off the face of the planet so that people can get back to thinking for themselves. That way, anyone too dumb to actually form an opinion of their own would at least shut up.

I'm grumpy this morning. Time for another coffee.

• Like 1