ATX Community

max shell loader

TAXMAN

I spent over one hour with support this morning. I was told the following comments: the program is brand new and is buggy (apparently we are doing the debugging), we think that rollover causes the max.shell.loader problem, my problem with customizing forms may be related to video drivers or the fact that the forms are not yet approved, they are trying to solve the problems and will be issueing an update, probable not until after the first of the year, maybe the update will solve all the problems.

Just received my TRX software (I subscribe to both). Maybe I will not have problems with it???

I have never rolled over my clients until they make an appointment and are about to walk through the door. Over the years, that policy has saved a multitude of workarounds. I have one return, called TEST, that I use for just such things; the first rollover, the first efile test, etc. It contains a variety of forms.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I rollover my own when I get the software, since that is the first one I'll be working on. It also lets me see what forms are or are not available. I rollover clients as I work on those returns, or in April, as I'm doing extensions.

At this point there is no reason to roll any others over since the frikkin' 1040 isn't available! And yeah, the program is going to be buggy and screwed up, SINCE MOST OF THE FORMS AREN'T AVAILABLE. Thank Congress, as they are on vacation.

Hey, at least we have the 1040! I have to run an estimate for a client's FAFSA, so I hope it's working ok. Crashed on me once already...

Colleges that push for ultra-early FAFSA drive me to drink!! The only reason colleges tell parents that FAFSA is needed by the end of February or earlier is that the workers in the Financial Aid office do not want to do their jobs.

I had 3 children in 3 different colleges over an 8 year span. I did 11 FAFSA forms. The date of filing FAFSA has no effect on the amount of Federal Aid or Student Loans available.

Rant over!

I still cannot open my return, Only thing I have successfully accomplished is one Sales tax return. Still takes five minutes to open a return and on my own 1040 it still "crashes the "shell" whatever that is. I am a tax preparer, not a computer whiz. I may be getting senile, but I believe that this is the worst in the 15 years or so I have been using ATX. I appreciated all the improvements over the years ( if not the price increases) but I have never not been able to install the program and use it. Suggestion from e-mail support was that it was just my computer. I have tried it on all 3 of my office computers with the same results. cannot even get staff prepared. FRUSTRATING

If your computer is more than 3 years old, your computer may be to blame.

Computer hardware is cheap.

Find a techno-geek and hire him to help you set up the new system you buy.

Buy a system with the fastest processor available, at least 4GB (Best is 8GB) of RAM and Win7 (not Win8).

This will eliminate many of the issues with the software.

If your computer is more than 3 years old, your computer may be to blame.

Computer hardware is cheap.

Find a techno-geek and hire him to help you set up the new system you buy.

Buy a system with the fastest processor available, at least 4GB (Best is 8GB) of RAM and Win7 (not Win8).

This will eliminate many of the issues with the software.

I don't know so much about that! My computer is new Windows 7, has a ton of storage, lots of ram and I still am having problems. If I log on by clicking the Icon and try to make any changes to my preference, try to change the info in my letter, it kicks me off and then when I try to log on again it says I'm still logged on. But I have found that if I right click on the Icon and choose open as adminstrator I can go ahead with changes.

To me this program is very buggy and I'm just afraid that as the season really gets going we are going to have crash after crash.'

Deb!

I am loading the program in the network here at the firm. Server and 10 workstations. I have been using in in a standalone on my laptop with no issues since the last program update.

Internet Security Suite software packages wreak havoc with ATX. I only use anti-virus and anti-spyware portions.

I will post my experiences once I have it installed here on the server.