ATX Community

....and so it begins

Janitor Bob

I just got my W-2...here it is....Can you do my taxes right away? I need my refund by next weekend so I can get my car out of impound.

Had one call me last week and wanted to know if I could do the taxes with the last paystub. My question is where have these people been? The laws didn't even get passed until a day or two ago!

It's going to be a fun, fun, year. And Oh Yea, wait until we tell them "your guess is as good as mine as to when to expect the refund"! IRS is not even giving us an idea, even they don't know because the computers have taken over!

Deb!

• Like 1

My story's a guy who called 2 weeks ago to see if I am setting appointments, which I do not for his type return. He knows this. Been a PITA client for years. Told him no appointment and no forms as yet; no way to know when since government and IRS still not agreed on anything. Tells me he'll wait until late January to come in. I'd hoped that would be the case but really didn't believe it would be so.

Well he left phone message after 9:30 pm last night; knows very well I don't answer the phone after 8:00 ..... "I just got an email from I think Turbo Tax or H&R Block saying that they can do your taxes now. Want to know if you have the forms yet" .... Followed up by an email from him first thing this morning .... "Just wondering if you had received the forms for this year yet to file?"

This dude is just dumb as a post. Never listens to anything I tell him. Have done amendments nearly every year after telling me he has everything. I can ask 'Are you sure?' times and still end up with 1040X. (More $ for me doesn't make up for the time involved!) Got himself into a major wrangle with IRS two years back by repeatedly calling and causing a ruckus to the point where they audited his return and held his refund for 6 months. :wall:

Sent him packing more than once. Upped our price for his return to double what others pay. My husband threw him out one night with a warning that the next step is the sheriff because he was barging in on other clients. I even talked to his mother (also my client) to see if maybe she could talk some sense into him. Nothing fazes the guy enough to just go away. ...... I know you're all thinking 'just don't do the return' but I've tried that, too. He sat on my doorstep and cried like a 3 year old. :wacko: I regretfully relented after talking things over with his fiance. (She's a nice gal. No idea what she sees in him.) :dunno:

So, once again it begins. He being the first of potentially many whiney-heineys for the season already out of whack due to a failing Congress. ;)

Happy, happy!

We all have clients who are somewhat unreasonable or pushy. In all fairness H&R Block and others are saying in their ads that you can get your return done as soon as you get your W2. It is in the fine print they say e-filing starts 1/22. Their goal is to lock the unsuspecting taxpayer with them so that you don't get that business and they can tell with a straight face that they are ready to do their returns. To counter that, I have been setting up my tax appointments as they call, BUT I do tell them that IRS has not released all the forms so at this point all we can do is a preliminary estimate and they will have to return to sign the final forms. Never had one taxpayer object to that. The good thing is that almost 100% of these taxpayers are simple returns with EIC and I can do a ballpark estimate with my software. After speaking to several of them the fact that drives them to call so early is that Christmas bills are on their way and they need that EIC refund to pay them!

If you can get a client to stay with you after you doubled their charges, he must really like you!

I have lost all sympathy for those that spend money they "think" they are going to get. I have a written disclaimer instructing clients not to spend any refund until it is in their posession.

It does not work for those that choose not to be responsible.

I am not the keeper of the irresponsible.

It has started already this year for me too.

Rant Over!! :spaz:

• Like 2

Was in Walmart yesterday, and they have Jackson Hewitt set up and, of course, advertising that "You don't have to wait". Guess they are doing loans again, and PRETENDING that the check the client gets is his/her "refund" rather than a loan against the future refund. But they know their market, I guess.

I fired a long-time PITA client in November over a minor payroll issue. It's always been a pretty ample fee; but never been worth the aggravation and hours spent. I am starting out this tax year with peace of mind that I don't have to deal with her. I went online yesterday because I still have access to her accounts and see that both her 4th Quarter payroll and November sales tax were filed late. "Good". I am not a spiteful person in any sense of the word, but she always knew better than I did and any little thing that went wrong was my fault. Now she will have to find a new whipping post, but I am out of it., and will not reconsider.

• Like 3

Do you guys sign an engagement agreement with your payroll clients spelling out the consequences and charges for deliverables? I am sending out reminders this week for all payroll clients to inform their employees of the adjustment that will happen to their paychecks going forward. The first weeks paychecks were calculated under the old rules, so now they owe an additional 2% ss witholding for the first week. One client told me that most of her employees were clueless!

Good riddance, but I do not think you should access her accounts any more. I believe that would be considered an ethical violation, if it came out.

I agree....it was just the one time to find out whether she had told me the truth; which she hadn't. She had asked me for money to pay past late filing fees and, after much thought re: ethics, I did send her a small check along with a letter of termination of our professional relationship. I know I didn't have to give her anything, but I did feel some moral responsibility and it was worth every cent. That was a "good catch" KC. It is her responsibility to change her passwords and pins in order to eliminate my access, but I doubt that she would know how to do that as I was the one who set it up. I have no further interest.

>>It is her responsibility to change her passwords and pins in order to eliminate my access<<

Regardless of her responsibility or action, YOUR access is already restricted by Section 7216 and Rev Proc 2008-35. Since you were not intending to prepare a tax return, you can not use her information for ANY purpose without her written consent. The rule is particularly targeted to marketing activities, which in my opinion includes determining her value as a client, essentially what you were checking for.

Ten years ago this caution would have been excessive, even ridiculous. But just in case you haven't noticed it yet, IRS and legal standards are changing.

I TOTALLY understand what you are saying. In no way do I want to know her value as a client. I was wishing to find out whether she had applied the money I sent her toward the debt that she claimed the IRS was dunning her for. She had not, but I have no intention of using that knowledge in any way. Before I sent that letter and check, I reviewed everything on ethics and due dilligence that I could find. since I set up all of her accounts originally, how much am I allowed,or must I, reveal when her next accountant comes calling? I want to be a good little girl, Jainen. Don't make assumptions and don't build a mountain!

Oops!

did l just hear my first warning bell ring?

Got a call from a new client yesterday. He decided that he needs a CPA to do his taxes because he's making so much money that he is paying too much in taxes. He explained that the guy that did his 2010 taxes (located in North Carolina) had him owing too much in Pennsylvania taxes. He has lived in Pennsylvania his entire life and he's in his 30's. When I asked about his 2011 taxes there was a long moment of silence.

/seriously considering a line item charge for stupidity/

Havent even done one return this year and Im already stressed.

• Like 1

Oops!

did l just hear my first warning bell ring?

No, you'd have to go a LOT further to get a warning from me. And I seriously doubt that Jainen would 'report' you for such a response. Heck, he's been answered much more sharply than that, and I don't think he's ever 'reported' anyone. Although why would he, when he's perfectly capable of defending himself if needed! ? ;)

Got a call from a new client yesterday. He decided that he needs a CPA to do his taxes because he's making so much money that he is paying too much in taxes. He explained that the guy that did his 2010 taxes (located in North Carolina) had him owing too much in Pennsylvania taxes. He has lived in Pennsylvania his entire life and he's in his 30's. When I asked about his 2011 taxes there was a long moment of silence.

/seriously considering a line item charge for stupidity/

Havent even done one return this year and Im already stressed.

I'd definitely inflate my quote for one like this. Heck, handled right you might train him into being a great client, but start him high enough that you smile when you deal with him.

>>he's perfectly capable of defending himself<<

But I won't, because I don't care if you agree. Anyway, I actually don't think Marilyn did anything wrong, other than wasting her own time. Unfortunately, innocence isn't much of an excuse when everyone from IRS to non-clients are looking to blame someone for something that IS wrong.

I just had a lady call ans want ME to access HER W-2 from her employer web site so I could file her taxes tonight and give her a refund check tomorow...."I don't offer RALs" and we can't actually file your return yet

Then I get the usual "but I saw on TV where {insert Tax Prep Company Name Here} could do it today and I could walk out with a check.

I hate this time of year and constantly explaining to prospective clients that what the other places are offering is actually a loan...that comes with a price.

• Like 2

We have an outfit in northeast called Instant Tax Service and they are heavily advertising tax returns done now, instant RAL, $50 referral fee etc. Needless to say some of my younger clients are calling me as to how they can do it and I can't?? I finally told one fellow that if he can get his return filed by them this week when he gets his W2 this Friday I will do his 2013 return for free! I know he will be wasting gas money going to them only to learn he has to wait until 22nd. Let's see what happens.

I'm getting calls saying a local outfit is already doing returns. They are telling the clients they will file the return on the 18th & get their refunds late January or early February. I'm thinking of going over there to see how it works :)

We have an outfit in northeast called Instant Tax Service and they are heavily advertising tax returns done now, instant RAL, $50 referral fee etc. Needless to say some of my younger clients are calling me as to how they can do it and I can't?? I finally told one fellow that if he can get his return filed by them this week when he gets his W2 this Friday I will do his 2013 return for free! I know he will be wasting gas money going to them only to learn he has to wait until 22nd. Let's see what happens.

If they're like most chains advertising that sort of thing, you could probably just direct people to the rip off reports site / BBB so they can read what others think of the chain.

I'm getting calls saying a local outfit is already doing returns. They are telling the clients they will file the return on the 18th & get their refunds late January or early February. I'm thinking of going over there to see how it works :)

Seems the early test filing is something like January 14th - January 17th, so some returns would be acknowledged earlier than the 18th. I don't know if ATX is participating in early e-file.

• Like 1

http://www.irs.gov/uac/IRS-%3Cem%3Ee-file%3C-em%3E-Providers-Prohibited-From-Transmitting-Returns-Prior-to-Receiving-Forms-W-2,-W-2G-or-1099-R

IRS e-file Providers Prohibited From Transmitting Returns Prior to Receiving Forms W-2, W-2G or 1099-R

Authorized IRS e-file Providers are prohibited from submitting electronic returns to the IRS prior to the receipt of all Forms W-2, W-2G, and 1099-R from the taxpayer. ....