ATX Community

TRX Software Refund - NOT - How many jumped Ship?

ed_accountant

Just from reading the posts here they may be as many as a dozen counting myself. I had to buy Taxwise 2 days before my first appointment because I do not trust the TRX software with all the bugs it has. It was an unexpected expenditure but I had to do it for the sake of my long time clients. I hope TRX realizes that it has a beta quality product at the peak of tax season and gives unconditional refunds to its clients who were with them for the past several years. This is no way to treat your clients in my opinion!

I have sent several communication to Doug Hughes the owner of the company, and til this date no response!

Roberts that must really hurt. You got burned twice by the same co??

I am glad you saw the writing on the wall and made alternative arrangements. I really feel bad for TRX users who are just praying that it works tomorrow when the bell rings!

Frankly I can't see how you could get through this tax season with that software the shape it is in today! You must really like doing manual calcs. and overrides.

When I pay for a professional tax prep software I expect it to run like a professional software so that I don't have to do manual calcs.

I purchased Drake software a week ago today, and even though there is a learning curve, at least I'm moving forward. I've called their tech support a few times and every time a real live human answers right away and solves my issue. It's wonderful! It has already paid for itself in client preparation fees for returns I wouldn't have been able to have ready to efile yet if I'd have stayed with TRX and waited for all the bugs to be fixed in TaxExact.

Drake does have a loyal following! Tax preparers used to a forms tree (Taxworks, Taxwise and several others) will find it a bit challenging to get used to Drake's tab method instead of forms tree. But once you get the hang of it it goes smoothly. Also the Drake input screens are of the old variety (remember Microsoft Access circa 2004), but it does the job once you get used to it. I think Drake's main strength compared to its competitors is speedy customer service. I think they win hands down.

Linda I am sure you know this by now but if you will adjust your monitor you will see that the tabs that have any data after conversion will have blue lettering. You can zone in on those tabs first to take care of any input.

I miss Taxworks too. I am sorry I could not give it a decent funeral!

Yeah, I see that. I've been checking my converted files and finding that for the most part they are proformaed correctly, but any of my files with depreciation will need some tweaking. I'm starting out by practicing on my own return, and hopefully I'll see a pattern so I can zero in on roots of any discrepancies. I noticed that the house depreciation for the 8829 didn't come through at all, but that is easily fixed.

Linda, depreciation and carry forward (active and passive) losses are also areas where you have to zone in. What i do is print the depreciation and carry forward report from the old software and then run those reports after conversion and compare. Usually the differences are minor, except depreciation where the method may change based on vendor defaults. In the new software if the figures (basis, period, and prior depreciation are correct) selecting the correct dep. method will solve the differences 99% of the time.

Also if you have business returns on which you are amortizing startup expenses, goodwill etc. pay attention to those as well.

The good thing is 8829 depreciation is pretty straight forward, just one table with the percentages based on when property was put in service.

Since receiving this software that you are comparing to TaxWorks you have updated it 17 times to date and low and behold it still doesn’t work well enough to produce a complete professional tax return. States are not yet available and tested? Platform is very unstable and continues to have many issues. The same type issues appear to exist affecting the business returns and you have not yet started that cleanup process?

Using this software for the 2012 tax season in my opinion would destroy my business as my clients expect and deserve professional, accurate and state of the art results!

I do believe that you had an opportunity to come clean and work out a refund policy with your members which would have been the appropriate thing to do.

You however chose to continue this prolonged beta test to no avail.

I have serious doubts about your claim that your firm e filed 50,000 tax returns using this software for the 2011 tax year without incident?

I for one am bailing and I have already started a claim for refund with my credit card company in the event that you do not wish to refund my money!

I have chosen to go with Taxwise from Mainstreet Tax Solutions, http://www.mainstreettaxsolutions.com/, which will cost me an additional $350. A small price to pay for peace of mind!

I wish you all the luck in the world and do hope that you eventually develop a professional tax software product that will make us all proud.

Mike Dubin CPA

Order Information

* Required Fields
Item Description Qty Unit Price MS1040 MainStreet 1040Works 1 US $995.00 MainStreet 1040Works 1040, 1041, 1065, 1120S, 1120 All States Free Customer Support Shipping: Shipping and Processing US $39.99 Total: US $1034.99

If Mike Dubin got Taxwise Desktop version for $350, then he got one hell of a deal because this is their current quote.

Mainstreet Tax Solutions is making a special offer to those that have been with TRX and as such they are selling the full version of Taxwise, not including all of the bells and whistles for $350.

I spoke with Tony Cooper VP 877-220-0193.

Best of luck to all for the rest of the tax season.

Mike Dubin CPA

Thanks Mike,

I just got off the phone with them and they are indeed doing the $350 deal for TRX users. The complete tax software 1040, businesses, tax guide online. Told me its the same that Taxwise is offering. Good deal. Im in.

BTW Taxwise's best offer was $599 for the 1040 and $35/business return

• Like 1