ATX Community

Main Street Tax Solutions (Taxwise) $350

Crank

(The following was posted today in another thread by Mike Dubin. I thought it could use its own thread so people could see it.)

Mainstreet Tax Solutions is making a special offer to those that have been with TRX and as such they are selling the full version of Taxwise, not including all of the bells and whistles for $350.

I spoke with Tony Cooper VP 877-220-0193.

Just to add a bit to that - the reseller has to request a "release" from CCH, which in my case was denied, since I used ATX in 2009 under the same EFIN. (It was a big pain in the neck to get them to release me! And in the long run, I don't think it was worth the hassle, since TaxWise really isn't that fantastic. If I could go back and do it again, I'd just go with TaxAct.)

So don't purchase TaxWise from a reseller until you're SURE you can efile through them. Over the phone, the reseller should be able to do a test transmission under your EFIN and let you know if CCH is blocking it.

Are you an ATX customer or a TRX customer that used the ATX resold product? In the mind of CCH, there is a major difference. I would think going from TRX to Mainstreet would be perfectly fine.

I'm not sure that's ALWAYS the case but I've heard they will kick former clients out of resellers. I was an ATX buyer directly from ATX and then was a TaxWise customer through TRX. I think the difference was that ATX and TaxWise weren't owned by the same company when I was an ATX client? Not sure. It was implied I couldn't go back to being an ATX customer the year TRX offered them.

The issue is if CCH has your EFIN in their system as a prior customer. I had purchased ATX directly from CCH in 2009, so my EFIN was in their system. It was a pain the neck trying to get a release. It was successful in the end, though.

I'm not that impressed with the TaxWise software, so I'm not sure it was worth the hassle, since I'm going to have to switch out to something more full-featured after this tax season. (Drake or ProSeries.) TaxWise is NOT as good as the TaxWorks software we had last year, and it's certainly not as good as Drake or ProSeries. But at $350, it's a good deal if you think you can use it in the long run. I can't. (Seriously, no schedule D import from Excel? Missing local forms, abysmal client instruction letters, etc. But yes, it's usable, and I e-filed my first return with it yesterday.)

Another thing to note: I read on another forum that TaxWise was going to have a major revamp sometime later this year. It it doesn't go well, it might suffer the same problems as what we're seeing from ATX and TaxWorks this year.

It's not a question of "catching". If the EFIN is in the system, you'll be blocked, and they'll have to release it. My recommendation is simply: ask MainStreet to do a test transmission under your EFIN and see if it goes through. If it does, you're in the clear. If not, you may have a problem.

I can't speculate on why my EFIN was still in CCH's system, if others haven't had the same problem. I'm just trying to help people avoid yet another hassle this tax season!

Taxman74

Just leave them a message and they will return your call shotly thereafter.

TaxOR

I broached this issue with Mainstreet and they assured me that you are incorrect and that all of us can e file for 2012. They have already e filed about 50 returns from former TRX customers.

Mike Dubin CPA

Folks, i have nothing against resellers but remember TRX was a reseller for ATX and Taxworks and many more! The software publisher (CCH, Redgear etc.) hold the cards! You may save a few hundred BUT the risk you are taking is that if these guys go out of business or refuse to give you a refund on renewal you are SOL!

It is my understanding that Taxwise resold product does NOT have intelliconnect (online tax research) included. That is an additional charge via your reseller. So if you add up all those pesky little charges you may be lucky to save may be 100 bucks. Do you think your time is worth more than that?

BUT if you don't need all the bells and whistles and you just want to worry about this tax season then $350 is a good buy! As usual exercise caution and get all promises in writing. Just think you are buying a "used car" under the worst conditions!

In Taxwise your EFIN and your product registration code and customer ID is linked. If you change your EFIN you must change the registration code that they provide.

Also if CCH does not have your IRS issued EFIN letter on file, you must Fax them a copy of the original or get the EFIN summary page from IRS website under TaxPro e-services (requires registration).

Unlike TRX where all you had to do was put your EFIN in the software and you are on your way, CCH and Drake require EFIN verification.

BTW if EFIN is not on CCH files when you first buy, they will issue you a dummy EFIN to test the software but you can NOT Efile with that. You MUST contact CCH and follow the process above.

Mainstreet has no problems with getting the EFIN released from CCH. My EFIN had been locked with them from the days TRX had used TaxWise in the past and I purchased this morning and already have my program installed with Registration Code. The promotion in legit from Mike D's post and they are willing to help you get set up and installed. I am pleased with the service I have received.