ATX Community

Proving Our Case

Terry D EA

I am wondering if the class action or any other type of law suit will really get us anywhere. I don't think it is too hard for any of us to prove our case. Nobody would just go out and spend 1k plus to purchase tax preparation software the last week of January just to try something different. On an individual basis, I am sure affidavits signed by each other stating our position and outcome with the functionality of the software would weigh heavy. I'm pretty sure any judge would recognize that. Filing a law suit and winning it is just the beginning with no real guarantees we will ever collect on the judgement. I agree with Taxed on her comments regarding bankruptcy. Whether individual or class action, companies being pressured such as TRX is, would follow the bankruptcy route with the end result of going out of business.

From my end of things, I only renewed the 299.00 package last spring and planned on upgrading to the premium package in January this year. I did this to try other software and to make a decision. I did choose to stay with TRX as I thought it would be TaxWorks like the rest of the folks who renewed in the spring only to get duped. So, I will pursue a refund as soon as I can but have no hopes of getting it. At this time, I have completed enough returns to pay for the TaxSlayer Pro that I bought to get up and running so I know I made the right move there. If a class action becomes available, I'll jump right in but for now, I am just going to concentrate on running my business and taking care of my clients. I don't have 300.00 to just flush down the toilet so saying cutting my losses and moving foward is a hard swallow but I may not have any other choice. Just know that what ever happens here count me in with the rest of you.

Terry, As you state a lawsuit (individual or class action) will most likely succeed, the facts are on our side BUT the question is of recovery. The win judgement paper is worthless without actual recovery. Most businesses fold as soon as they lose the lawsuit and see the collection process begin!

I think a better option is to use the powers of the TN AG to make sure TRX or any sister company of TRX NEVER dupe people in this way!

I wonder how many TRX users there are. At last count someone posted 6000!!!

I was talking to my 88-yr-old mother on the phone last night about this, and I told her that even if we did win a class action suit, whatever fines TRX would have to pay would probably all go to attorney fees, so why bother. Then she said, "Well, at least they've have to pay somebody something and that might get them to stop deceiving people." Now that's a pretty smart observation for an 88-yr-old!

Okay, so since I have been trying to wait this out and have not paid the balance (only the $50) deposit, I am guessing I need to not pay for the software and make a mad dash to find another software package? I was waiting until January 31 and hoping this software would be usable. I actually called TRX yesterday (FEB 1) to give them my credit card number and pay for it so I could start doing tax work as my clients are getting anxious. I was on hold 2.5 hours. I gave up. I tried emailing the sales lady, Karen, with no response. I gave up. I am guessing from your comments here that I should just move on???? This is really sad considering it is so late in the tax season! Any recommendations for inexpensive software?

If I were you, I wouldn't wait any longer and be glad you will only loose 50.00. I will recommend TaxSlayer Pro to you. They are not the cheapest option but again what do you want from your softrware? What kind of returns do you do? At this late time, I think you need to consider the learning curve. For me, the TaxSlayer Pro was very easy. There are a few pay per return options as well. TaxSlayer Pro can run anywhere from 825.00 to 995.00 depending on the circumstances surrounding how you pay for it and if you do alot of bank products or not. The contact information for my rep is below.

mailto:[email protected]

Renee, DO NOT GO AHEAD WITH PURCHASING TRX SOFTWARE!! The rest of us are wishing we didn't pay for it already, so you are in a good position to back out with only losing $50. There are a number of softwares available for different price ranges, but whatever you do, I'm sure you realize it has to be soon. If I were you, I'd read as many posts on this forum as you can where we are all discussing the alternate software programs we bought when we realized that TRX was not going to deliver. I'm amazed (but not surprised) that they are still selling it to people, because it's garbage. I purchased Drake early last week for $1395, and even though that's a huge investment for me, it was either that or lose a whole season's worth of income, so in that light it's a small investment. Other people have bought Taxwise, Tax Slayer, Tax Act, to name a few. Don't buy TaxWorks from Red Gear, because they are having the same issues as we are, and also ATX is having issues, so those are good ones to stay away from. Good luck!

Thank you LInda and Terry. I do approximately 30 individual returns and one 1120s and this is a side business for me for close friends and friends of theirs. So getting inexpensive software is a must. I found Taxact online and it looks reasonable and hopefully, it works. I will browse through some other messages for input. The only downside is it probably won't roll over my clients as I was able to do when I switched from ProSeries to TRX. I guess inputting all the data will be about the same as that is what I was going to have to do with TRX! I AM JUST HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED WITH HOW THEY HAVE RESPONDED TO THEIR CUSTOMERS THIS TAX SEASON!

Hi everybody this is my first post but I was reading you guys since last December . I was aside because as terry I had the hope TRX would be ready for the start season this past January 30th ... You know the history , well yesterday I got taxwise with ultimatetaxservice at 399 for their 899 package, I downloaded the software today and I was able to do my first return , it is easy to use with a little learning curve but the best part is the peace of mind and finally let TRX go. So Renee I recommend tax wise cause is the second software I have already use. I just start in business 3 years ago and TRX was my only first software .

Ps I was able to get this great deal $$ thanks to a promotion code I got from W-tax in this forum.

Thanks a lot I really appreciate it.

Taxwise is not a bad package considering all the BS we went through this year and if you picked it up for $350 or $399 it is a steal! HOWEVER compared to Taxworks (Redgear) it does take a few extra clicks to do e-filing and software updates. The Taxworks EFC was much more user friendly (report generation, status checking, e-mail of ACK etc.)

I hate it that it requires the bank info in 3 places to get direct deposit or debit and you can't cut and paste that easily. I guess it is a protection but feels weird to do the same thing 3 times.

I have NOT been able to figure out how to password protect a PDF return within Taxwise. Taxworks allowed that when you were creating the print sets. I have a call into CS for that matter.

NOW have you noticed how similar some of the functionality of TRX 2012 is with Taxwise. Eg. Date checking at the start of the program. Forms tree color coded. Addition of forms from a list of forms, setup of default return etc. Wonder if someone at TRX has been looking at Taxwise for inspiration!!!

Thanks for the advice. I am leary though because if I renew next year, the price will be $700 I believe. I found Intuit Online and I might give that a try since I used to use Proseries and am somewhat familiar with their products. I may just give up on the whole side tax practice bit anyway! Between software issues and the stupid PTIN thing, this is more hassle than it's worth! At least since I am a CPA, I don't have to do all the extra training. Oh well, I've vented enough. Let me go waste more of my day shopping online for software instead of working on the stack of returns I have.

In 2008 TRX sold Taxwise. Yes, I noticed hints of TaxWise and TaxWorks (and probably others) in TaxExact.

Tax Exact was an independent product that went out of business at the end of the 2007 tax season. TRX purchased it through a subsidiary a few years ago and brought it back out. It looks like the exact same product as what I purchased back then. Even the lack of state software is the same.

Hello Guys,

I recently found out that Onedesktax.com offers
1040 and Business Tax Software Free to all 1st year clients.

They gave me both Web and Desktop Version for Free.

My Cousin told me about them, no credit card was required.

They I just Download the Desktop software below, installed it
call them and they activated my tax 2012 account.

I got unilimited E-filing and Bank products..For FREE

Here is website http://onedesktax.com/

I downloaded Desktop Version here: ---> OneDesk Tax Softwares(Tax year 2012 web and Desktop versions)