ATX Community

Alternate pdf printer disappeared from printer list for filing copy

jklcpa

I like PrimoPdf better than the built in printer. After the 12.6 update today, the Primo printer is no longer in my list of printers available for the filing copy of the return. It is showing up in all the other copies drop-down boxes. I tried changing the printer to Primo using the "change printer" function in the return manager menu. When I went to the client communications to view the print packet defaults, it is showing ATX pdf as the printer for the filing copy. The program does not want me to use Primo. I changed it back to my laser printer. I am sure the Primo pdf printer was in the filing copy list of printers before I installed today's update. Does anyone have a suggestion of how to get that back?

My default printer is PaperPort Image Printer which I use to print Pdf files. When I initially installed ATX 2012, PaperPort no longer showed as a printer choice in ATX. I am up to date in ATX through 12.6 but still no PaperPort choice. The PaperPort printer is available on my system for all other applications but not ATX.

I look forward to a fix on this. In the meantime, if I find a workaround I'll post it.

JerryW

My default printer is PaperPort Image Printer which I use to print Pdf files. When I initially installed ATX 2012, PaperPort no longer showed as a printer choice in ATX. I am up to date in ATX through 12.6 but still no PaperPort choice. The PaperPort printer is available on my system for all other applications but not ATX.

I look forward to a fix on this. In the meantime, if I find a workaround I'll post it.

JerryW

JerryW

I've been using Paperport 11 4th year now and been hesitant to upgrade because it works so well with all my programs. I did lose pdf printing with ATX, not sure with what installation, and only way I could get it back was to uninstall/reinstall both Paperport 11 program and Image printer. This did not lose any of my data folders which I had a external backup of anyway.

JerryW-would you post Paperport version you are currently using and which version you started with? I think current version available now is 14 and I am thinking of updating but can't tell from their ad if features are worth changing. Thanks and look forward to your response.

Just thinking. How is ATX hiding primo as an option? What if you went into control panel, and changed the name of the primo pdf "printer" to something else, say "HP LaserJet II" (a known name) or "HP LJ 9999" (a fudged name)?

Won't work if ATX forces final printing only through their own driver, but if there is a printer selection dialog of some kind, maybe they are simply scanning the printer names and not including known PDF drivers...

I thought that might do the trick. I "wish" there were a driver flag to indicate a PDF or other "printer", as opposed to a piece of hardware you load paper into, but there isn't. Many (including myself) are left with only scanning the printer name (which can be edited by the computer user) when it might be better to use (or not) certain types of "printers".

I have Adobe Acrobat Pro, and have used it historically for my digital file copies. I think ATX has figured that the filing copy is the one that will be actually printed to paper and "filed" with the tax authorities; hence, no printing to pdf of such copy makes sense in their view.

One can, as has been pointed out, print the client/preparer/other copies to pdf printers.

JerryW

I've been using Paperport 11 4th year now and been hesitant to upgrade because it works so well with all my programs. I did lose pdf printing with ATX, not sure with what installation, and only way I could get it back was to uninstall/reinstall both Paperport 11 program and Image printer. This did not lose any of my data folders which I had a external backup of anyway.

JerryW-would you post Paperport version you are currently using and which version you started with? I think current version available now is 14 and I am thinking of updating but can't tell from their ad if features are worth changing. Thanks and look forward to your response.

I have used most every version of PapePort since PP6. I bought and installed PP Pro 14 but found it to be one of the most unstable of all versions I've used. The system hangs constantly with PP Pro 14. I followed every suggestion, like using CheckPPFolders and changing all .max files to .pdf etc but PP14 Pro still was not usable. I went back to PP 11.2 Pro and the difference is like night and day. I have virtually no hangs or crashes with PP 11.2 Pro.

Based on my experience, I can not recommend PP 14 Pro. By the way, I use Windows 7 64-bit, 3.4 dual core with 8 GB of RAM.

I have yet to find a work around so that my PaperPort Image Printer will show as a print option.

JerryW

The ATX 2012 pdf print is listed in the filing copies printer choices.

I click on it to save a pdf copy after I print a file copy.

It's actually handy.

I use adobe pro to make .pdf files. They are 5 to 10 times smaller size files than the .pdf files ATX makes.

• 3 weeks later...

I think ATX has figured that the filing copy is the one that will be actually printed to paper and "filed" with the tax authorities; hence, no printing to pdf of such copy makes sense in their view.

If that was true, ATX PDF wouldn't show up in the list either. Just another indicator that ATX/CCH doesn't give a shit how difficult they make it to actually prepare a return.

I use pdf factory to save copies. It shows in the filing copy and works fine.

Is it still showing up? Mine just disappeared after updating.