ATX Community

IRS Error code X0000-005

mofan1

I just received this error code on a 1040 return. "The XML data has failed schema validation, cvc-complex-type 2.4.a. Invalid content was found starting with teh element 'City'. One of '[http://www.irs.gov/efile; AddressLine 1]' is expected. Some other tax program blogs are saying this is an error within the program because IRS adopted some new format. Any thoughts?

My thought is to verify that the name and social security number matches what's on file with social security. Sometimes people don't know what's on the official record.

0500 Primary SSN (SEQ 010) and Primary Name Control (SEQ 050) of the
Tax Form must match data from the IRS Master File.
SSN/NAME: Does not match IRS master record. You should contact IRS
(1-800-829-1040) to confirm the SSN / Last Name in IRS master file.
If it is not correct, they will advise you on how to correct the problem,
which is very important for you to resolve. If IRS gives you the SSN /
Last Name in its master file, temporarily, log in preferably during off
peak hours to enter this SSN / Last Name EXACTLY matched IRS record to
complete the efiling or you can send return by mail
Please correct and resubmit BOTH federal and state return.

This is yet another sloppy bug in ATX 2012. In ATX 2011, you could not create an e-file if there was an invalid character in various vital fields such as this.

This year, ATX 2012 allows you to create the e-file regardless of the error, and then the EFC sends it back to you with this garbled message. Why allow the e-file to even be created?

And if ATX does want to allow such an error to be transmitted to them, why not send back a normal error code in plain English like, "The City field on the 1040 contains an invalid character. Remove the character and re-create the e-file and re-transmit".

This is yet another efficiency-killer that wastes our precious time. This preparer had to search on this board for something that would not have even occurred in ATX 2011. This is basically the essence of the entire 2012 program.

And if ATX does want to allow such an error to be transmitted to them, why not send back a normal error code in plain English like, "The City field on the 1040 contains an invalid character. Remove the character and re-create the e-file and re-transmit".

The wording of this error message comes from the IRS. See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/xml_error-troubleshooting_guide.pdf

Agree that the software could detect these formatting errors before transmitting to the IRS.

• Like 1

The wording of this error message comes from the IRS. See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/xml_error-troubleshooting_guide.pdf

Agree that the software could detect these formatting errors before transmitting to the IRS.

Thanks for that. However, this publication has been in existence since 2009. I never saw XML error in ATX 2010 or 2011 becvause ATX screened for the error or had better wording programmed for the error. This is clearly a another loose-end that ATX never got to in 2012.

I am getting the same thing. It is pertaining to form 8863. Everything is ok. The form is complete and the are no errors in characters.

Check extremely closely in all fields on the 8863. I have seen a similar error and I ended up barely seeing an apostrophe You may need to increase your zoom settings and make sure you check each field closely.

so far, the X0000-005 efile error is a catch-all for (mainly) any form entry glitches.

your specific error detail has not been available through atx's first level efile error request.

you have had to go to the efile center and enter the taxpayer soc sec #...then you will get a specific clue/reference to the rejection.

supposedly, in the current 12.9 update (or the next, next update), atx has adjusted their first level efile rejection reference to explain where the error came from.

I had this problem on Sat. Apparently - -in 2011 the student attended 2 different schools - -the return actually rolled over (not having so much success this week) and when I put down 1 institution - -it "hid" the second one.

Hmmmmmmmmmm 4 tries to efile - -but then the light bulb wen off - -I changed it to 2 - -THEN I could see the other one to delete it. Problem solved - -total time lost - -1 + hr. :wall::dunno::(

• Like 1