ATX Community

FORM 8582

GeorgeM

I thought it had to completed and submitted if the taxpayer has a passive activity regardless of whether the activity has a profit or loss

I have 2 returns that cannot be e-filed without it.

I tried to delete it and the loss on sch E would not carry to the 1040

Yet I had another return with a sch E loss and it did npt even ask for the form.

Is this a bug in the program?

I thought it had to completed and submitted if the taxpayer has a passive activity regardless of whether the activity has a profit or loss

There's an exception for rental real estate. If you meet all of the following conditions the form isn't required.

* Rental real estate activities with active participation were your only passive activities.

* You have no prior year unallowed losses from these (or any other passive) activities.

* Your total loss from the rental real estate activities was not more than $25,000 ($12,500 if married filing separately and you lived apart from your spouse all year).

* If you are married filing separately, you lived apart from your spouse all year.

* You have no current or prior year unallowed credits from a passive activitiy.

* Your modified adjusted gross income (see the instructions for line 7, later) was not more than $100,000 (not more than $50,000 if married filing separately and you lived apart from your spouse all year).

* You do not hold any interest in a rental real estate activity as a limited partner or as a beneficiary of an estate or a trust.

So, simply having rental losses with active participation wouldn't be enough to require the 8582 (unless the modified AGI is over 100k).

There's an exception for rental real estate. If you meet all of the following conditions the form isn't required.

* Rental real estate activities with active participation were your only passive activities.

* You have no prior year unallowed losses from these (or any other passive) activities.

* Your total loss from the rental real estate activities was not more than $25,000 ($12,500 if married filing separately and you lived apart from your spouse all year).

* If you are married filing separately, you lived apart from your spouse all year.

* You have no current or prior year unallowed credits from a passive activitiy.

* Your modified adjusted gross income (see the instructions for line 7, later) was not more than $100,000 (not more than $50,000 if married filing separately and you lived apart from your spouse all year).

* You do not hold any interest in a rental real estate activity as a limited partner or as a beneficiary of an estate or a trust.

So, simply having rental losses with active participation wouldn't be enough to require the 8582 (unless the modified AGI is over 100k).

David, how do I go about making it possible to make ATX accept this return without the 8582 form?

• Like 1

I've been overwriting the bottom line on the input page of Sch E and deleting the 8582 - on returns that are not complex and wouldin't really need one any way even though the program insists it be there.

I have a client whose 8582 who had a zero loss. And he meets all of the other criteria to not need the 8582 but when I delete the form it will not allow it to be e-filed because the program says the 8582 is not approved for e-filing.

Is there a worksheet that has to be manually complete to signal to the program that 8582 is not required?

So essentially, taxpayers with owner-occupied 2-family and 3-family homes cannot be filed yet?