ATX Community

charge for preparation of 1099

Marie

I charge $25 for one 1099 and the accompanying 1096, and $10 for each additional 1099. That's what I billed back when I did them by paper, when a 1096 and 1099s had to be mailed in. Now I do it much more quickly and easily by e-filing (no additional 1096 to prepare) and I just continued with the old rate.

I had over $1,000 in billables this year for 1099s, and they don't take a lot of time. I'm glad to do them!

They don't take a lot of time if you have all of the info - but we seem to always be chasing information while preparing 1099s. My billables were about the same as yours and should take less than a week to do, but it always drags on into the third week and beyond - in fact, we are still not done.

i only do 3 1099 misc (one person per employer) that i buy as a 5 unit, pay per return ($150?) add on to my atx1040 program.

i charge each of them an additional, break even $30 to their billing...

since i do their involved sch c/se tax return, i bill them accordingly (+) on the back end.

We billed $1,500 for 1099 prep in 2012. ABout 21 customers. I don't bill for the form, I just bill the time it takes. So, it doesn't matter to me if my office staffer is chasing down contractor info or typing it into the system.

I don't use ATX to do the 1099's. I use either Qbooks if I get the file from the client, or 1099-ETC from AMS in OK. $250 for that program. I use the 1099-ETC for after the fact payroll for clients also. I think I can efile for free. But I still send paper...

Rich

You can purchase W2 Mate for $39 for the basic program to print on the preprinted forms and another $25 for the option to print lazer forms or $90 to e-file. The program prints both W2s and 1099s. The program is very simple to use. They also have other options. I think their URL is www.w2mate.com. If that isn't it, you can google "W2 Mate Software".

Another good choice is Tax-Print. I just discovered it this year while stalling to see which direction ATX was headed. It cost $39 also, but that includes ability to laser print the W-2's and 1099's. It prints all the allowable forms in black & white, plus it will drop the data onto pre-printed red forms for the 1099 Copy A and 1096. Another very nice feature is that it prints the Uni-Form layout for W-2's, which is always my preference. It has a very simple "Import" function from Excel, so you have all the control you need.

They allow you to download and try it for free, then pay to remove a watermark if you like it. So I entered & printed a couple of my simple clients and inspected the output before putting any money into it. When I paid, it removed the watermark from the test entries and I was doing billable work within 10 minutes. The program has limited reporting capabilities and its "Find" feature doesn't work well, but since you can pair it with Excel you can easily overcome that limitation.

http://www.tax-print.com/

How much does ATX charge to e-file 1099s if paying on a per return basis?

i could have said it different/better...the following is how i did it in the past. you have to be an atx program user or the price is higher.

(this year atx seems to say that i am enrolled in payroll and not pay per return...to be continued.)

i buy a 5 unit pay per return add on ($120?) with my atx1040 program. i use 3 to efile 3 separate client 1099misc requirements (only one recipient per client...although i think you could file any number of recipients per client and have it count as only one pay per return). i have two in reserve to file a rare 4th state, 1065, 1041, etc.

you can also buy additional 5 unit pay per returns...i think there is a price break involved.

I charge $5 per, $25 minimum, and adjust the price up for PITA clients, or clients I don't do bookkeeping for. I am like Ron, I really don't like doing them, I think because the more people are involved, the more potential for aggravation. I have re-mailed one W-2 and two 1099's just this week. People are irresponsible, and the more people you deal with, the more aggravation.

I use the MAX program so the 1099 is included in the Payroll module this year...wondering if they plan on charging extra for that next year? Anyway...I charge $50 for w2's (each employee) and I only had to issue 5 1099's - ironically, 4 were to myself on my business clients behalf. I really couldn't see charging them $50 for those - so I cut in half. None of them complained - 2 actually thanked me for being so diligent.