ATX Community

Tying a 1099-MISC to FEIN and NOT SSN for Schedule C

CathysTaxes

Well, it looks like the changes the IRS made to Schedule C, E, and forms 1120-S and 1065 regarding the issuing of 1099s is making an impact. One sole proprietor client WHO NEVER gave me a 1099, just gave me ten. Five use his social security number and five use the FEIN. To get past the IRS matching, anyone know how I can input his FEIN into the 1099?

Enter the FEIN on the Sch C and enter the 1099s as usual. There is nowhere on the 1099-misc input to even indicate an FEIN, but linking it to the proper schedule C and indicate whether it is for the taxpayer or spouse should be all you need to do. The Sch C shows both the the SSN and the FEIN so the IRS *should* be able to match it up. If you get a notice, you will be able to show that all of the 1099's were reported on the Sch C and explain why.

Enter the FEIN on the Sch C and enter the 1099s as usual. There is nowhere on the 1099-misc input to even indicate an FEIN, but linking it to the proper schedule C and indicate whether it is for the taxpayer or spouse should be all you need to do. The Sch C shows both the the SSN and the FEIN so the IRS *should* be able to match it up. If you get a notice, you will be able to show that all of the 1099's were reported on the Sch C and explain why.

OK, thanks. I do have the FEIN on the Sch C, I was just wondering if the IRS had their programming setup to use that for matching.