ATX Community

Three choices: Do nothing, Change, Upgrade

SFA

It is now February 23. I have an office network of one server and seven desktops. Some desktops fine, others extremely slow. All are Windows7 and one XP. Server is new.

I asked an outside tech to evaluate our network. Three new computers purchased one year ago are the slowest. CPU usage is spiking to 100% at times. It is impossible to have any other programs open at the same time.

I have looked at Drake, Lacert and other demos. Some are offering sweetheart deals to switch, but are more expensive in future years. Perhaps the ATX brand is so damaged that it has no future?

We cannot simply wait for updates hoping to resolve our issues. Changing software is also a time challenge. However screaming new computers is the choice that we have made. They will be delivered and installed on Tuesday. In our office, great workstations are always a good investment.

We have also increased our internet bandwidth, hoping that we will see some incremental improvements in internet speed.

I am tired of complaining and listening to my co-workers frustrations, so I'm throwing money at the situation. Wish us luck.

• Like 1

Just got the last of the computer upgrades this week. Now have SSD's to go with the Win7, 8G Ram, quad core machines. Everything is flying now. Very fast. EXCEPT for rolling over a return and the intial opening of that return. Once that is done, it all flies.

Have to check each & every return to make sure what should be on the return is on the return. That's not difficult as the checking is built into our review procedures so I believe we are catching it all.

Gonna stay with ATX for this year. Will not prepay in May. Will make a decision to change or stay after the season is over.

Maribeth

• Like 1

Got a new HP with the same specs as Maribeth. It has helped a lot. But I am still crashing at times, always the second time I click create e-file, and once in while at other times. But, at least this computer gets back up quicker. I roll my chair over to my old computer to use Peachtree and other programs, they are plenty fast, but ATX is still pokey on that one (XP).

I am afraid to download 12.10. 12.8 killed me.

I was unable to restore 2012 returns on Pokey to Super-Duper Computer. Tech nerd was right here, and we were able to restore 2009, 2010, 2011 just fine. I am thinking we may not be able to rollover next year, or convert, but like Scarlett, I can't think about that today.

• Like 1

Please visit the software issue forum, you will see even people with the best PC are having problems because of the software design for 2012.

This is exactly right, and even though I am doing better with Super-Duper Computer, my other computer met the ATX recommended specs, and I resent having to go through purchasing and changing to a new computer to make something workable.

Yes, congratulations. This is an expensive year for all of us in one way or another. Whether it be a new computer because even the not so old ones cannot handle this program; the hiring of extra help because of all of the down time and/or those who have ventured forth to new and different software. The stress level is maxing out and it isn't even March 1 yet. Let's hope and pray that things get better in the days ahead. I am actually, but not quite, getting to the point where I am trusting that this program can and may work. I notice new things every day, but still continue extensive scrutiny of each return both on the screen and after printing.

• Like 1

It is now February 23. I have an office network of one server and seven desktops. Some desktops fine, others extremely slow. All are Windows7 and one XP. Server is new.

I asked an outside tech to evaluate our network. Three new computers purchased one year ago are the slowest. CPU usage is spiking to 100% at times. It is impossible to have any other programs open at the same time.

I have looked at Drake, Lacert and other demos. Some are offering sweetheart deals to switch, but are more expensive in future years. Perhaps the ATX brand is so damaged that it has no future?

We cannot simply wait for updates hoping to resolve our issues. Changing software is also a time challenge. However screaming new computers is the choice that we have made. They will be delivered and installed on Tuesday. In our office, great workstations are always a good investment.

We have also increased our internet bandwidth, hoping that we will see some incremental improvements in internet speed.

I am tired of complaining and listening to my co-workers frustrations, so I'm throwing money at the situation. Wish us luck.

SFA,

What is your cost per return for software, and what will it be if you switch. With a server and seven workstations, you have a pretty large practice (my assumption, and you know what they say about assuming). I don't know what the price is for a networked software, but say it is 3K. If you do 300 returns, it is $10 per return. If you go to Proseries or something else and it is 6K, your returns go to $20 per return. If you have 600 returns, you go from $5 to $10. I don't know how many clients you have, but that is the math. I would think you could easily decide if this was going to kill your bottom line or if it is worth the frustrations of the current software.

I can't do anything but bitch this year. I have a unique situation and I can't take the time to learn a new software. So no matter what the cost, I need to stay with what I have. Sucks to be me this year.

Tom

Hollister, CA

tom, it is not only what the software cost but all the overhead(more this year due to problems) that will determine my cost per return. Albeit my cost will be more this year than last but hopefully less than next year. Shall be interesting to see by years end. I wonder if anyone actually calculates this number at years end. Would be interesting to see various cost in say office #s. Say office that does 300,500, etc this may change due to geographical area you may be in and the competition around you.

Intuit is currently offering a 70% discount off of ProSeries, bringing the price down to $1500 plus the Network module for another $599, with a 5 year price lock. It is forms oriented and you will be up to speed quickly.

Drake is not offering much of a discount, but then its software is reasonable at $1495.00 and renewals at $1095.00, network module included. Still they will give you a $100.00 discount. Drake's input is database oriented, and you would think that it would take more effort to get up to speed, but it just isn't so.

Drake also provides a good Document Manager and Client Write-Up software Free.

I went with Drake and the software SCREAMS SPEED. Even viewing a return after any input is almost instantaneous. Within just a couple of days, feel like I have been using Drake for years and really love it. Finally churning out returns.

My thoughts, it is not too late to switch. Do it now!

My experience with Drake has been identical to Joel's on all respects. The transition has been simple, and speed is fantastic. The concerns about switching from forms-based data entry are vastly overblown. Once I made the decision to switch, I also made a commitment to develop proficiency with Drake. It took a few days at most, and now for the most part I'm just refining & tweaking it to gain some marginal benefits in speed.

Speaking as an objective observer (well..I'm part of the TRX crisis), at this point of the season, I cannot understand why anyone is still trying to use "a non-functioning" program.

Yes...money is lost. But is it worth saving a few dollars when your entire business is at stake.

I had to buy a different program (Tax Act) and re-enter everything. It's a pain, yes. But, better to have "a pain" than "a disaster".

I am in the process of transitioning to ultra tax for tax prep. Will continue to use ATX payroll and ATX Tax for sales taxes only, Since I will still use the program I plan to continue with the updates and periodically 'try' the tax module for any improvements during the year. If the program continues to improve so that it's functionality is similar to that of previous years then next year I will continue with ATX for all purposes. If it does not,,....,,,

Lynn

I am in the process of transitioning to ultra tax for tax prep. Will continue to use ATX payroll and ATX Tax for sales taxes only, Since I will still use the program I plan to continue with the updates and periodically 'try' the tax module for any improvements during the year. If the program continues to improve so that it's functionality is similar to that of previous years then next year I will continue with ATX for all purposes. If it does not,,....,,,

Lynn

My thoughts exactly Lynn, although the more I get comfortable with Drake (and hopefully soon its client Write-up) the less I am leaning that way.

Also, with the price difference, I am considering adding a SuperForms (or, CFSTools Online forms, or Laser Librarian, or even Intuits Forms product all about the same price) subscription to take up what I lose from leaving ATX.

I use CFSTools for some other things and they have some nice products.

Just bought a 120 gb SSD (SATA III, Kingston) at Staples-on sale for $89.99 plus they are having their annual 20% off everything you can fit in a bag. Link to printable coupon: (http://f.e.staples.com/i/25/2068345218/25305_ecobag_olc.pdf)

Final cost - $72.00 plus tax

Probably similar savings for 250GB drives, but 120 big enough for me. I'll install it in the next few days and let you know how it works to improve program speed/stability

Just bought a 120 gb SSD (SATA III, Kingston) at Staples-on sale for $89.99 plus they are having their annual 20% off everything you can fit in a bag. Link to printable coupon: (http://f.e.staples.com/i/25/2068345218/25305_ecobag_olc.pdf)

Final cost - $72.00 plus tax

Probably similar savings for 250GB drives, but 120 big enough for me. I'll install it in the next few days and let you know how it works to improve program speed/stability

How much are they going to charge you to transfer your info to the new HD?

My IT guy used a new backup utility, EaseUS, and just restored the whole drive onto the new SSD's. No reinstalling anything.

The ONLY software that had a problem with this was QB and I had to put the registration codes back in before QB would start.

Took about 2 hours to get 3 computers done and backup working again.

Maribeth

One thing mentioned is Drake's CWU program. It works fine as a payroll program, recording payroll, preparing and e-filing 941s, 940s, W-2s, 1099s, but as a write-up program it is like making every entry as a general journal entry. If you enter a debit to supplies, you must also enter a credit to cash or accounts payable--and look up the account code. If you do any bookkeeping work, use Quckbooks or Peachtree. I use Peachtree without updating every year, so the cost is minimal.

• Like 1

How much are they going to charge you to transfer your info to the new HD?

MAS- the drive comes with a conversion kit, cables and cloning software- if all works right, I just have to clone the disk (make sure the SSD drive you purchase is at least as big as the amount of space being used on the drive you are replacing) with included software (either by preinstalling the disk if you have enough hard drive connections, or in the alternative through a supplied USB cable) then either set the bios or swap disks. I'm relatively tech-savy and not adverse to trying this myself, at zero cost, but I understand this is not for everyone. I'll be the first to agree that its absurd that we need to do this in the first place, but if for less than 80 bucks I can dramatically improve the operation of the program, I'm in. I'll let you know how it works in the next day or two.

My IT guy used a new backup utility, EaseUS, and just restored the whole drive onto the new SSD's. No reinstalling anything.

The ONLY software that had a problem with this was QB and I had to put the registration codes back in before QB would start.

Took about 2 hours to get 3 computers done and backup working again.

Maribeth

My IT guy also uses EaseUS and can actually backup my computer remotely.

My IT guy also uses EaseUS and can actually backup my computer remotely.

Yes! And he kept the old drives to use for a daily backup at noon on all 3 computers so we have that backup in addition to our full-system backup on Thursday and our daily data backups that we take home with us. So I am rather pleased about the whole thing!

Maribeth