ATX Community

TaxWise just ate one of my returns

Kea

AAARRRRRGGGG! I was just wrapping up a return - created e-file and then went to create the ES vouchers. Yes, I knew it would make me re-create the e-file & it did. Then it gave me an error - Unable to save changes, reverting to previously saved version. OK, it's done that to me once or twice before --- no big deal. Nope, not this time. Very big deal. When I reopened the return EVERYTHING was gone. Well taxpayer SSN was still there - but nothing else.

Any idea where in the UTS12 folder it keeps the returns? Yes, I have a backup but it does it continuously so it's probably already overwritten it anyway. Anybody know if TaxWise saves multiple backups?

This return has been almost complete for about a week or so. Just waiting on a 1099Div. Turns out the amount was only 12 cents, so I sent the .pdf for signatures.

Be careful out there!

AAARRRRRGGGG! I was just wrapping up a return - created e-file and then went to create the ES vouchers. Yes, I knew it would make me re-create the e-file & it did. Then it gave me an error - Unable to save changes, reverting to previously saved version. OK, it's done that to me once or twice before --- no big deal. Nope, not this time. Very big deal. When I reopened the return EVERYTHING was gone. Well taxpayer SSN was still there - but nothing else.

Any idea where in the UTS12 folder it keeps the returns? Yes, I have a backup but it does it continuously so it's probably already overwritten it anyway. Anybody know if TaxWise saves multiple backups?

This return has been almost complete for about a week or so. Just waiting on a 1099Div. Turns out the amount was only 12 cents, so I sent the .pdf for signatures.

Be careful out there!

Yes, look at C:UTS12Users folder. If you're using the default users, then c:UTS12UsersGuest

Kea, did you do any manual backups through >Tools>Backup To Disk>? If so you may be able to restore the return that way. Im not aware of any automatic backups in TaxWise unless you are refering to a 3rd party program that backs up selected drives, directories or files.

Of course not! I hadn't set that up yet. Also, my husband usually does syncs to another hard drive. Just hadn't gotten around to setting that up yet. I had my "continuous backups" so we just hadn't made that a priority. With all the other issues going on, I just hadn't worried about my *additional* backups. (Can you say "stupid, stupid, stupid"!)

I've now set up the backup to disk and I've set up multiple folders - one per day so that I don't keep overwriting what I did before. I used to think the continuous was such a good way to go since you didn't have to worry about forgetting to do the most recent backup.

Tech support deleted bad return and brought it over from 2011 again (OK, I could have done that.) Suggested SpyBot -- didn't find anything major. Ran DBRepair (I do that several times per day) & reindexed database (I hadn't done that in a week or so). She said I shouldn't have that problem again.

This return isn't too hard to recreate -- just a couple of W2s, a Sch C-EZ, SEP, insurance, HSA, Sch B. My biggest issue is always worrying that it will happen again. Yes, I'll get myself in the habit of doing the separate backup after every change - so that I have multiple versions of each return. Just takes that much more time. (I'm SO glad I have a small practice.)

And all the i/o errors and the misc printing issues. And once it can't print a 9325 (for whichever error at the time), you can't reprint later.

Arrggg. Just had to vent. I really, really want to retire. But can only get insurance through this biz. I'm so looking forward to 2014!

Printing 9325 later -- CORRECTION -- It CAN be done. Regardless of what tech support and the knowledgebase say.

When you go to "Acknowledgments" and it says there is nothing available, the next box that comes up gives you a choice of what to include. I just noticed that the only box not checked says "printed files" or something like that. I checked that box and all acks and mail are there. Then pick the one you want and close the acknowedgement window and Voila the 9325 prints. (assuming you don't get a missing .DLL error - in that case repeat.)

I had logged in as Admin this last time. Not sure if that made a difference.

Personally, I don't want to back up to the cloud. I want to keep my clients' data local. But everybody has their own preferences.

Just make sure you know what Carbonite is backing up. Are they getting your UTS12 folder? I know they don't backup (at least not automatically) the program files folder. So with programs like ATX where they store all the data in the ATX program folder, it's doesn't get backed up.

Also, you could run into the same issue I did. Doesn't Carbonite back up continually while you are on the internet? If so, it could back up the damaged file & replacing the good one before you realize you need it off the backup.

While I do usually have multiple backups, I just hadn't gotten around to updating the other ones since I thought my contiuous one was good. Lesson learned.

(And I did catch that I hadn't entered the bank info for direct deposit or the line 6 info on the HSA indicating that they could make extra contributions. Most of my clients don't anyway, but I do like to ask. So, perhaps a blessing in disguise?)

And I am still getting error messages (program can't open database, can't find printer dll, and lots of I/O error). So I'm still very worried that I might get more eaten files.

I just set it up to a folder on my desktop. That also gets picked up by my continuous backup, but I can now backup after every change and use separate subfolders everyday. And if another return gets "eaten" I WON'T backup to that folder. That way I should hopefully be able to restore to a previously working version.

Happened again! Hopefully backups are OK. But not restoring until I can talk to tech support tomorrow. I did send an email to the tech that helped me a few weeks ago.

Even if I can restore off backup, this problem is not acceptable.

I wonder if Tax Exact has ironed out any of it's problems?

Printing 9325 later -- CORRECTION -- It CAN be done. Regardless of what tech support and the knowledgebase say.

When you go to "Acknowledgments" and it says there is nothing available, the next box that comes up gives you a choice of what to include. I just noticed that the only box not checked says "printed files" or something like that. I checked that box and all acks and mail are there. Then pick the one you want and close the acknowedgement window and Voila the 9325 prints. (assuming you don't get a missing .DLL error - in that case repeat.)

I had logged in as Admin this last time. Not sure if that made a difference.

I just confirmed this.

Im not getting the 9325 to print. After I select the ack to view I can print it or save it but I dont get the 9325 to print when I close it. Do you view the Ack first or just select it and close the window to get the 9325 to print. Either way I cant get it. I can only view the Ack.

Hi John - To get the 9325s to print at all you have to do that in the set-up options:
Tools - Untilities / Setup Options

In that Utilities box, go to the Setup menu and pick Setup Options

From there, go tot he Printer Setup Tab and put a checkmark by:

Automatically print form 9325 as each IRS tax return is acknowledged

Then see my tip above to print the old ones.

Hope that helps.

I bought a Seagate hard drive that came with Mimeo backup software. Will thinks the problem comes when closing a return that the backup is accessing at the same time. There is a certain logic to that. However it didn't give me any issues last year.

Guest Taxed

Unless you had a catastrophic software glitch and it corrupted the file, you can recover in most cases. I had the power go out in the middle of a tax prep appointment for 5 minutes. When power came back Windows XP did it usual check and then when I went to open TW I could not see the client in the file explorer (Utility Menu). I remembered from previous experience there is a program called repair.exe in the UTS12 subdirectory somewhere and if you run that it will try to recover a missing client from explorer. Did that and I got the client back but had to reinput some of the data that was garbled or missing. At least I did not have to re do the whole thing.

I already run DBRepair several times a day. It has fixed lots of things for me. It didn't work in that case.

There have also been times when DBRepair would quit with a "fatal error." At that point TW would not open because it thought DBRepair was still running. Same thing after a shut down and restart. Still thought DBRepair was running. Task manager confirmed it wasn't running.

If you're interested, the fix for this is to delete these 3 files from UTS12:

DBRepair.dat (NOT .exe)

Ratstorage.dat

Rattime.dat

1st tech told me all 3, but another said the deleting the 1st one was most important.

Yesterday I made sure to pause or stop my continuous b/u while in TW. No more "eaten" (yet-knock wood), but still got .dll errors when printing.