ATX Community

Can we efile 2011 1040 returns?

Slippery Pencil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Taxed

I was stumped when i got a rejection on a 2011 e-file, then it dawned on me that i had not updated the software since last fall. Also change the dates to show the correct filing date in 2013 and re run it again.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my understanding Previous year tax returns can’t be e-filed, but they can be prepared online

No, you cannot e-file a prior year tax return. Each year the IRS shuts down their e-file system in mid-October, usually on October 15. At that point, you can no longer e-file a tax return.

That means that you can only e-file a tax return between mid-January when e-file opens and mid-October when it closes, the year after the tax year in question.

For example, you could only e-file a 2012 return between January 17, 2012 and October 15, 2012. Similarly, you can only e-file a 2012 return between January 30, 2013 and October 15, 2013.

You will have to paper file a prior year return, which involves mailing a printed copy to the IRS.

Read more: http://www.priortax.com/filing-late-taxes/can-you-e-file-prior-year-returns/#ixzz2PPWCCCuR

look at page 12 of the handbook for e-file providers pub. 1345

Returns Not Eligible for IRS e-file

The following individual income tax returns and related return conditions cannot be processed using IRSe-file:

Other than current year tax returns;

Yes, some previous year returns can be e-filed. Update your previous year program.

Eli

Has anyone been able to efile a 2009 return?

The IRS would have accepted them last year, but ATX did not update the 2009 program to do so. The 2010 program, after updating, should allow 2010 to be e-filed this year, if the returns met MEF standards. I was able to efile 2010 returns last tax season.

Going forward, only three years will be able to be e-filed. Current and the two previous. I don't know where I read that, but it was from the IRS.

How is it that I have successfully e-file 5 personal and 2 corporate 2011 returns this tax season? Check your information again mrichman.

Are you sure, they may have been transmited successfully, that dosn't mean the IRS is going to send a letter asking for them to be paper filed.

I'm just quoting from the IRS pub.

That IRS pub refers to Legacy e-file, not Modernized. ATX supports two prior years, same as business returns now. Nothing limited for 2011. IRS only supported bare bones for 2010 so not every return will qualify. Most states were still legacy last year so it will be hit or miss as far as which prior years states are available.

• Like 1

That IRS pub refers to Legacy e-file, not Modernized. ATX supports two prior years, same as business returns now. Nothing limited for 2011. IRS only supported bare bones for 2010 so not every return will qualify. Most states were still legacy last year so it will be hit or miss as far as which prior years states are available.

Thanks for the correction, I found the infor in Pub 4164, page 15. current, and prior two years though some form limitations til next year.

I need clarification. If my software for year 2011 2010 is not 100% MeF I cannot file prior year returns? Correct

Guest Taxed

If you are filing a 2011 return in 2013 obviously the taxpayer was in no rush to file of any number of reasons. If the return is not MEF compliant it will have to be paperfiled anyways. If in doubt that the software may not be accurate, just paper file! Also many states will NOT allow a prior year to be e-filed so you got to do paper filing for them.

You can e-file a 2011 return provided that the return in question qualifies as MeF. This holds true for most federal return, and a few states... notably, OH, NY, and CA. Most states, in 2011, were still legacy; therefore, most states will have to be paper filed for 2011.

For 2010, roughly 25-30% of federal returns were MeF, and no states were MeF. If your ATX 2010 program will allow you to create the e-file for the federal return, then you can safely transmit it; however, you will have to paper file most federal and all states for 2010 due to this.

This holds true for individual returns; the IRS will accept e-filed business returns for current year plus two years back and most states will as well. Some states require they be paper filed for prior years.

The IRS, in 2011, stated and posted that this is how it is going for individual returns going hereon out. For next year, you will be able to e-file 2013, 2012, and 2011 returns provided they meet the MeF guidelines. 2014 will see the e-filing of 2014, 2013, and 2012... at which point every individual return, with minor exceptions, would be MeF.

• Like 2