ATX Community

Would You.....?

MsTabbyKats

For free - I might try it. However, I am almost sure to buy something else to use as a primary. But to demo TRX for free? Maybe.

Another thing to consider is that (in general) TRX is a reseller. So if they resell a REAL software again, I'm willing to think about it. If it's TaxExact again, probably not.

Guest Taxed

I am willing to try a free software for a few simple returns BUT I will NEVER again make the mistake of putting all my eggs in one basket like this year. I will always have a backup option ready just incase. Too many software vendors are revamping their software. I have a feeling that Drake and TW are next in line for a revamp and god help us!

Here is what we have learned through the years (some of which were spent as an IT person):

1) ALWAYS demo the EXACT software you are going to buy - so that means NEVER pre-paying for a "discount" for "next-years" version.

2) NEVER buy software whose version has a ".00" on it (i.e. 2.00, 3.00, 4.00, etc.). It's ok to buy "2.01" since that version fixes all the bugs discovered in "2.0".

3) TRY to NEVER buy a version that is an even number or has an extension that is an even number (2.02, 2.04). Give preference to Odd number with a non-zero extension (3.03, 3.01, 5.01, etc.)

4) NEVER "upgrade" hardware unless you have tested your existing hardware and it simply will not work with your new program...don't take developer's word that "your hardware / Operation System version is not supported therefore you must upgrade to Windows X or buy a new box". Demo the software on your old box...if the software runs without crashing and works, keep your old box."

5) ALWAYS let someone else "walk point" (i.e. try new software first before you try it).

6) If you do change boxes, keep the old box pugged in and powered on, but not connected to the Internet. It is possible that over the years some Microsoft update will accidentally render old legacy software unusable. (Happened to me with Orrtax).

7) Always have a "plan-B" software (whether it be TaxACT on a ppv or even just TurboTax) so that you can still crank out paper returns if all of a sudden your software "quits" on you.

8) Don't update unless you have to (provider requires it to e-file, or you have the EXACT problem that the update is supposed to fix).

As far as specifics on TRX, I agree that only if you can "tell" after the splash page is gone that it is really Taxworks or TRX or Taxwise or someother "legetimite" software would I consider it. But that goes for any software or re-seller, not just TRX.

I would certainly review their 2013 software with caution. I think that Doug caused enough pain & anguish to last for a long time to come.

I am looking forward to TaxWorks 2013 and due to their debacle this year as well I am certain that they have lost many customers. This could bode well for all of us whom are interested in procuring TaxWorks 2013 at a reasonable price?

I will be attending the NY Accounting & Technology Show in May 2013 at which many tax software companies have booths, including TaxWorks. I will attempt to see if I able to convince them that they have a sizable marketplace consisting of former TRX members.

If you are interested in this approach, let’s hear from all of you so we can see if this negotiating advantage does actually exist!

Additionally I find TaxWise to be extremely user unfriendly and onerous as well as rife with work arounds and issues. Efiling is a nightmare and the reports are terrible. I used it this year due to our dilemma, however I would not consider using it again.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

Guest Taxed

Mike D, pls. keep us posted on the Taxworks issue. I too miss my Taxworks this season. I would love to take a look at their 2013 version if the price is reasonable. If it is less than $970 I am in!

1. if someone is giving me something of value for Free, I'm not overly interested. There is a catch, you just haven't figured it out yet what that cost will be.

2. I would never use TRX ever again for any product.

3. I'm happy with the software I'm using. It could use some changes, not sure if they care hearing about my suggestions but it's as good as TaxWorks IMO. 1041 Grantor Trusts basically stink but otherwise it works well.

Hi Mike.

As I have previously stated I would seriouesly entertain the option of using TaxWorks for 2013. The 2010 and 2011 versions were one of the best tax software programs I have used in 18 years.

2012 is Nothing like 2010 or 2011. I had to dump it and get a refund because they did not have NJ ready and had an estimted date of 2/28

Let me take a moment and chime in on this. I agree with the check list from tetspa to a certain point. I would not advise anyone to use Turbo tax in a professional capactiy as the IRS has stated that a professional who is paid to prepare tax returns cannot use software that contains the words "self-prepared".

In addtion to previewing software, I think it is important to make sure the software you are buying meets all of your tax return prep needs. Because of the TRX snafu, I went with TaxSlayer Pro. While it is good software and I have had literally no problems at all, they do not support any forms used for Trusts. I have crut that uses forms 1041-A and 5227 and they are not available. I had a client this year claim energy credits for geo-therm system and NC offers a 35% credit. TaxSlayer did not support these forms and it cost me additional money for cute.pdf pro to be able to scan .pdf forms and enter information on them and the return had to be mailed. On another note, the reports, supporting statements; etc with TaxSlayer are excellent.

I too am in for the TaxWorks review if with Mike D. TaxWorks did cover every type of return that I do but some of the supporting statements don't look too professional for me. So, try to check everything. I for one will not under any circumstances try TaxExact again for free or if they paid me. I just think it is that bad and should be trashed. I am not renewing this spring as that was a lesson well learned. I will spend a significant amount of time tying to be sure that whatever product I buy, fits my practice and I have vowed that I will never get into the situation again that I was in this year.

I plan to review every software package I can this summer and will share my findings. I hope many of you will do that, too. There are just so many things to check and consider, that I think it will be great if we help each other. If there turns out to be a software package that many of us agree will fit our practices, perhaps we can negotiate some kind of group pricing ... be it TaxWorks or something else.

Eric,

Is it possible to send an email to all who participated on the TRX and Taxwjse boards? My reson for this request is that I would like to know exactly how many of us would consider TaxWorks for 2013 at the right price point?

The more subscribers the better our negotiating posture.

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

Guest Taxed

Mike D, why don't you let Taxworks do the heavy lifting if they want additional business for 2013 tax year returns next year. Here is what I propose (others pls. chime in so that we can go about this in a logical way that makes business sense for us). As I said before I do miss Taxworks dearly. Today I had an opportunity to do a 2011 return for a client's son in law who missed filing 2011 and I used Taxworks (AKA former TRX), I was teary eyed as i was keying in the data and doing the peek. I miss that peek!

1)With Eric's help lets get a separate section for Would Be Taxworks Clients. Let's get the folks in this board who want to try or consider Taxworks sign up.

2) Get a eager sales manager from redgear or Taxworks to come to that board and make his pitch.

3) Let him go back and make a deal for us with his company that is acceptable to us and earns him his commission.

I saw do this with Taxwise and Drake if you want to. The point is that we have a few hundred if not thousand former TRX, ATX preparers that will switch to find a permanent home. What a great opportunity to get the software companies to make a pitch to them.

I agree with Taxed with a few exceptions.

I have attempted in the past to solicit all whom would be interested in procuring TaxWorks at a favorable price and received at best 10 responses. As you point out there could be hundreds if not thousands that would potentially participate however my suggestion of emailing all who have posted on this board in the past would no doubt reach many more than 10?

In addition I do already have the attention of an executive at TaxWorks whom I have had numerous dialogues with in the past.

If we can muster even 100 interested parties I am confident that I couls convince TaxWorks to make us an offer that we all can't refuse!

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

Guest Taxed

What is your feeling after speaking to this executive at Taxworks. What is the critical mass they need to give is a meaningful offer. As I said before I will consider all offers less than $970 because that is my renewal price for next year.

When i visit the IRS Tax forum this summer I will be visiting all the software booths and instead of just taking the free pens and pads I will be taking notes!!!

I agree with Taxed with a few exceptions.

I have attempted in the past to solicit all whom would be interested in procuring TaxWorks at a favorable price and received at best 10 responses. As you point out there could be hundreds if not thousands that would potentially participate however my suggestion of emailing all who have posted on this board in the past would no doubt reach many more than 10?

In addition I do already have the attention of an executive at TaxWorks whom I have had numerous dialogues with in the past.

If we can muster even 100 interested parties I am confident that I couls convince TaxWorks to make us an offer that we all can't refuse!

Thanks

Mike Dubin CPA

Mike, I sent you a PM.

Guest Taxed

If you never attended one, make this your first. The price is right (hopefully Motel 6 will not be sold out!) Great opportunity to talk to other preparers from surrounding states and share ideas etc. The exhibitors are usually good.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we're into the "home stretch".......(and assuming everyone here is using other software by now).....if TRX (under any name) were to contact you....and offer you "free software" for next season....would you take them up? Would you even try the software?

For free...I'd probably check it out. To trust...no.