ATX Community

Positive ATX Comment

jasdlm

Yes, the FAM seems to be working well now. I sometimes wonder whether the issues some people have been having with assets disappearing in ATX stems from the interface with FAM. If they don't have FAM, then those assets disappear.

I did some beta-testing of FAM last summer and I liked the feel of it, even though many functions were not yet available. The one item that I really need to get on after tax season is generating an all-purpose report for our clients that becomes part of the workpapers. I have had to customize each client and haven't been able to figure out how to do it globally. But, of course, I haven't really tried to do it globally, just leaving that on my to-do list for after tax season.

Yes, for me it's auto printing the state & Amt depreciation reports. I knew there were people on this board that did beta testing! One guy that's posting a lot on the software issues board keeps insisting there wasn't any, and it was all rushed out. I know that's BS, but ya say it enough, and the speculation gets posted as rumors, gets posted as fact. Kinda sad for the company. Oh and after 12.12, the program is opening so fast I don't have time to blink.

Yes, the FAM seems to be working well now. I sometimes wonder whether the issues some people have been having with assets disappearing in ATX stems from the interface with FAM. If they don't have FAM, then those assets disappear.

I did some beta-testing of FAM last summer and I liked the feel of it, even though many functions were not yet available. The one item that I really need to get on after tax season is generating an all-purpose report for our clients that becomes part of the workpapers. I have had to customize each client and haven't been able to figure out how to do it globally. But, of course, I haven't really tried to do it globally, just leaving that on my to-do list for after tax season.

Did you have to purchase the FAM? If so, how much are they gouging us for?

Besides being unbearably slow in loading, the printing menu is doing funky things to the 4562. When leaving the print menu, I find the info gone on the 4562 and the related schedules. I have to close return and reopen and its back. One time, the info didn't come back. The asset info was there but no info on 4562. This return had 3 activites with depreciation. I closed and reopened several times. I closed the app. I rebooted. Still didn't come back. I duplicated the return so I could experiment without losing the whole return. I descarded the 4562. But I lost the fixed assets. I added back the 4562 and the fixed assets did come back. But nothing on the 4562. Then I went into the fixed assets and reassigned each asset to another activity and the 4562 for that activity had the info. Then I reassigned the assets back to the correct activity and hooray, the info was back in the 4562. A very time consuming work around. Luckily that has only happened once. But the 4562 info disappearing after going into the print menu happens a lot. Usually closing the return and reopening brings it back without the long work around.

I don't like the print menu even if it were faster. I never liked it in the past. Too many options. I don't know why we need filing copy, client copy, preparer copy. It's the same return. Sheesh. I just want to be able to select the forms and worksheets that I want printed for the client and then select the extra things I want for my files.

Not sure how other programs do this, but I will be finding out in the next few months.

FAM is an up charge item but comes included in some of the package deals. I get it included in my "most everything they offer" package. I do not have time to look but I am certain the stand alone price is on ATX's website. I liked FAM from the outset. Much, much improved over last year. There is a fixed assets tab with the 4562 in the tax software that integrates with FAM. So what you enter in the tax software automatically gets added to FAM and vice versa. BIG plus this year.

Did you have to purchase the FAM? If so, how much are they gouging us for?

Yes, I have purchased the separate FAM for several years now because we need to do depreciaion calculations throughout the year. The cost was about $225, which was the renewal price. I believe the first year cost is $300.

I miss the picture of the dog lying on its back for the 'rollover' - now just a boring envelope with blue arrows.

You know, someone last year made a crack about the dog and also the bunny that hopped us to the worksheet but to be serious about that, I think it reflected not only a sense of humor by the programmers but also a sense of involment and commitment to the program. And after CCH bought it, and soon got rid of most if not all of the old ATX team that feeling is gone. And the software has suffered from that loss.

• Like 5