ATX Community

write off a car because advertising put on it

schirallicpa

I've actually been waiting for this. Client put a big advertisement painting on her car and now wants to write off the car.

I'm thinking we can write off the cost of the painting.

We can write off the actual mileage used for business.

(She cuts hair.)

But I'm a little sketchy on writing off the whole thing.

Guest Taxed

These hairdressers must read the same book on tax tips or attended the same seminar. My gal drives a Dodge Caravan with 2 big signs on the side of her van advertising her services. She does hair/nails by appointment only at clients house or in her basement. She does lots of senior citizens and folks who don't drive.

I told her to use actual cost vs. standard mileage and she is depreciating her van and expensing gas/repairs etc. For the advertising the first year I told her to deduct the cost of the signs as Advertising on her Sch C.

A man entered a barbershop and asked for a shave.
After the shave, the barber said, "That will be a quarter, please."
"But," said the man, "Your sign says two bucks for a shave. How
come only a quarter?"
The barber answered, "Once in a awhile we get a guy that is all
mouth and we only charge him twenty-five cents!"

These hairdressers must read the same book on tax tips or attended the same seminar. My gal drives a Dodge Caravan with 2 big signs on the side of her van advertising her services. She does hair/nails by appointment only at clients house or in her basement. She does lots of senior citizens and folks who don't drive.

I told her to use actual cost vs. standard mileage and she is depreciating her van and expensing gas/repairs etc. For the advertising the first year I told her to deduct the cost of the signs as Advertising on her Sch C.

Mileage in this case is deductible regardless of the signs on the car.

Technically, you should depreciate the sign on the car and enter it on advertisement.

I worked for a man once that put his last name and "CPA" on his license plate. When someone asked if CPA stood for cut, paste, and assemble, he promptly removed the plates.

But I don't think he wrote off the car.

But I like the shirt idea.

Now she's trying to tell me she "knows" that she can write off her mileage to the shop. Afterall, she says - it's her shop. On and on it goes. I really need to start pre-screening for hair dressers.

>>she "knows" that she can write off her mileage<<

Then she knows about keeping a mileage log, right? And, of course, she'll want to show you her tip log as well!

Surprisingly, though she drives me nuts at times, I have a Cosmotologist client who DOES keep a mileage and DOES keep track of and include in income all of her tips. Not only that, but she pays her quarterly estimates on time and keeps excellent inventory records. On the other hand she is so organized that she wants me to drop whatever I am doing and tend to her needs at the drop of a hat. (license renewals, sales tax reports, etc) Otherwise, the model client. She has Green Bay Packers license plates and does not log her mileage from her home to the shop where she rents a chair.

• Like 1

I did not hate them, as long as they accepted the fees I charged them, which was higher because of the PITA factor.

Correct.....I do not hate her. If I did, I would fire her. As conforming as she is about everything else; she is also willing and prompt to pay. But, her final words are: "Don't hold on to that check too long cuz it messes up my check book!" I HAVE to love her because she is hard to love.

Guest Taxed

I guess if she pays what you want and that too promptly, you can choose to live with that PITA. I just have a problem with those that are slow in paying and expect you to jump when they want you. They don't last with me too long.