ATX Community

Looks like ATX is FIXED!

joelgilb

As reported in the Progressive Accountant

Software Glitches: Some Fixed, Some Not

http://www.theprogressiveaccountant.com/tax/software-glitches-some-fixed-some-not.html

“ATX still has its critics and reports of serious problems have continued into the last week. But it also has its fans.”

' "There have been some glitches, like the dropped ‘complete' checkbox (which was fixed with a downloadable utility), memory issues, and a bad Schedule E update that slowed down all of the returns with Sch. E a lot, but in whole, most of the ‘problems' have been with getting used to the new platform,," says CPA Joan McHugh, who is based in Sacramento, Calif. "For example, I thought prior depreciation was calculating incorrectly with a 50-percent-owned rental, but I hadn't checked the prior year use box - it's on a separate page this year - and when I corrected that, the ‘error' cleared up." She likes the enhancements and believes that many who are complaining have outdated computers.'

As reported in the Progressive Accountant

Software Glitches: Some Fixed, Some Not

http://www.theprogressiveaccountant.com/tax/software-glitches-some-fixed-some-not.html

“ATX still has its critics and reports of serious problems have continued into the last week. But it also has its fans.”

' "There have been some glitches, like the dropped ‘complete' checkbox (which was fixed with a downloadable utility), memory issues, and a bad Schedule E update that slowed down all of the returns with Sch. E a lot, but in whole, most of the ‘problems' have been with getting used to the new platform,," says CPA Joan McHugh, who is based in Sacramento, Calif. "For example, I thought prior depreciation was calculating incorrectly with a 50-percent-owned rental, but I hadn't checked the prior year use box - it's on a separate page this year - and when I corrected that, the ‘error' cleared up." She likes the enhancements and believes that many who are complaining have outdated computers.'

What is that person smoking?

• Like 1

I guess the prep is fixed, now if it wouldn't crash when printing or efiing, and clearing up the slow printing boxes..... life would be good!
Keep an eye on your memory useage by keeping the task manager open, and when it gets near whatever your max is (mines about 50% of memory, close the program down and restart. I only crash when I've gone over that.

Who is this Joan McHugh, CPA ?? What's her name on the other board ?? Does the CPA stand for Car Parking Attendant ???

Does she go by Joan during the day but when the moon is full goes by the name:

IBANUA$$ KIMMIE ???

Were you serious of joking? Joan is real; she posted the answer right above yours. :lol:

Here is my username, and my picture. I gave the writer MY experience this year. I'm sick of whiners, conspiracy theorists and people that can't use a little bit of common sense and self reliance. There are quite a few people that aren't having crashes, missing assets, and damn, even my printing isn't so slow now. Although I did mention sloe printing as being an issue. So quit yer bitching and come back to the real world, thank you.

• Like 5

Who is this Joan McHugh, CPA ?? What's her name on the other board ?? Does the CPA stand for Car Parking Attendant ???

Does she go by Joan during the day but when the moon is full goes by the name:

IBANUA$$ KIMMIE ???

Hey Florida Tax Man, feeling a little testie? It's ok to vent here (to a degree), it's healthy and fun to disagree, but I don't think it's ok to attack another member in this way. Cool it.

• Like 2

Hey Florida Tax Man, feeling a little testie? It's ok to vent here (to a degree), it's healthy and fun to disagree, but I don't think it's ok to attack another member in this way. Cool it.

Not trying to defend Florida Tax Man and when I posted my post, I really did not know Joan McHugh was our Joan and did not do so to bash the the author. Since, I have not used ATX since vers 12.08 and then just barely I do not really know how well 12.12 works.

From posts here and on the regular ATX community. clearly others don't think ATX 2012.12 is working much better than previous versions. They also don't believe that there are any ENHANCEMENTS in the ATX 2012 (I don't need to reiterate what ATX removed rather than added to the new platform).

Now as for bashing, honestly, Joan's comments in that article were bashing! She essentially called all the users having problems with ATX STUPID IDIOTS! She basically said that the ATX members having problems, were too stupid to understand how to move to a new platform. I feel that this comment includes those that changed software (a new platform I might add), and have gotten up to speed quickly, becoming productive for the first time this season.

She further bashed the other ATX members and users, by saying that they had antiquated systems, not understanding it was time to upgrade . You find that appropriate?

As for antiquated systems being the problem, she totally missed the boat on that one anyway. I have a few friends who were and are still using ATX. One friend of mine is having the best experience with ATX using a stand-alone PC that is over 10 years old, running WinXP, in I believe a 32 bit environment (possibly a 16 bit). He is having virtually none of the problems the other members are having, except that the program is slightly slower than previous years. This is because ATX was programed for a 16/32 bit O/S, not the more modern Win7 or Win8.

One of my other friends is using a State of the Art 64 bit PC with 32K of Ram and with an overclocked Intel I7 3960 and has had nothing but problems. If she had read many of the posts at the regular ATX site she would see, that ATX 2012 does run better on older systems.

So no offense, Joan doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. If you really want to understand some of the problems, you should read LITaxAdmin's and Harless's posts over at the regular board. Clearly these two have systems experience and understand the problems.

I for one, now that I know it is our Joan, resent the inference, in a PUBLIC ARTICLE I might add, that all of us that have had problems with ATX are STUPID IDIOTS that don't understand how to move to a new platform and use the software. If anyone should apologize, it is Joan!

• Like 1

And btw, I and few others in different threads posted the same article. I just checked the thread I started and found the comments interesting. So, you might want to read this thread at the regular ATX site:

https://community.atxinc.com/forums/1/150199/ShowThread.aspx

As the latest poster indicated:

Mrjond, "Wow not a single approved comment to this article? Interesting"

LitTaxAdmin's comment in that same thread:

"CCH has a BBB rating of F as well. See: http://www.bbb.org/atlanta/business-reviews/computers-hardware-software-and-services/cch-small-firm-services-in-kennesaw-ga-27370070 "

Blevins Comments:

"Wow, so most of the "problems" have been with getting used to the new platform?
REALLY?
As if this many of us are major idiots who never deal with other software, or new software, and this is all just a matter of "getting used to" it?
And outdated computers?
Give me a break.

Yes, I'd like to know how much they spend in advertising in The Progressive Accountant.
I guess most of us are just regressive accountants.
Insulting.

I want a fast program. If this is how ATX 2013 will definitely be, I definitely won't be back next year. I've held out hope that they'd change the platform/database for next year, after this year's fiasco, but this doesn't give me much confidence.
Can't wait until this season is over. Although, from the sound of this, I'm just an old tired outdated accountant who might as well hang it all up.
Ha."
Empahasis Added

Don't forget the comments in this thread about this article. Apparently Florida Tax Man and I are not the only one that thinks Joan offended us.

• Like 1

Joel, you make some good points. Yes, we have had problems with the ATX program this year. BIG ONES that I know are not our fault. My entire staff is uneasy and insecure about how unstable the program still is, even at 12.12.

We have wasted so much time ($$$) I can't even think about it. Because of the downtime and delays, we have a boatload of returns still in our office, that have been here too long. I am exhausted.

Reading these forums has given us some comfort to know that we are not alone in dealing with all these problems. To some extent, misery does love company.

Somehow we are going to make it to April 15 with some dignity, but it won't be easy.

None of this is anybody's fault except for ATX. Period.

• Like 1

Joel,

Reading these forums has given us some comfort to know that we are not alone in dealing with all these problems. To some extent, misery does love company.

Somehow we are going to make it to April 15 with some dignity, but it won't be easy.

None of this is anybody's fault except for ATX. Period.

Can't agree more, I have been more active in the forums this year both for the support and the comfort they provide.

Everybody should stay focused on the main issues and not allow these conversations to degenerate into personal attacks in either direction. Each person's experience is what it is, and there's no purpose served in anyone questioning another's experience. This is a community of equals, not hostage to a single vendor, and with the overriding purpose of exchanging tax-related information.

At the end of the day, the problems ATX is having this year are a side issue. At this point everyone has made their decision for the current year and will have to live with. No minds are likely to change for the remaining 3 weeks. Let's concentrate on what's important for this community in the long run.

• Like 3

...So no offense, Joan doesn't have a clue what she is talking about. If you really want to understand some of the problems, you should read LITaxAdmin's and Harless's posts over at the regular board. Clearly these two have systems experience and understand the problems....

Could someone contact them and have them join this board? I refuse to even log in on the corporate board since they shut it down.

If these guys are as knowledgable as you say, they might help us get out of the "crippled" state of this software.

Well, I for one will not be DEFENDING ATX and CCH to the WORLD in a Progressive Accountant Magazine; nor offending those who are having a NIGHTMARE OF A TAX SEASON as a bunch of incompetents who are too OLD and TOO LAZY TO GET UP OFF THEIR A$$E$ and buy the latest hardware, etc. Perhaps we forget that there are those that can not afford the latest and greatest. Their computers and their experience were JUST FINE WITH ATX 2011 and prior AND NOW many might have to get out of the business due to the financial losses suffered by ATX 2012.

IF ANYTHING the WORLD should be told that ATX has screwed many and that their updates are a big joke. UNFORTUNATELY, now the WORLD thinks ATX has solved all its problems, including boxes checked and unchecked.

YES I am offended. The JOKE was written in the manner that this article was being said/written BY A CCH EMPLOYEE (note the KIMMIE reference) as I could not believe this Joan person was real. (AND NO I DID NOT KNOW THAT JOAN WAS A JOAN HERE.)

Obviously there is a PRO-ATX 2012 crowd......NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH A PRO-ATX PERSON.

MOST OF US, including ME, are PRO-ATX (OLD, LAZY PRIOR ATX) .....NOT PROGRESSIVE ENHANCED ATX 2012.....BIG DIFFERENCE !!!!!!

The old ATX was not so good if you have more than 200-300 clients. Granted, it is MUCH better than what we have this year, but slow program opening, slow returns opening, e-file creation issues if more than one workstation was in the e-file manager or process, long slow backups, etc. This all happened when return numbers exceeded 250 or so. Been the same way for 6 years. Great speed for the first 10 days of season, then dragging slow the rest of the year.

I'm back, and yes I've checked the other ATX board, and often. I was approached to comment for the article because I was one of the people that didn't seem to be having problems and the author wanted another opinion. He stated that networks seemed to be having the most problems. I did tell him I was on a standalone, and a win7 64 bit platform. So the 32 bit is not an issue for me. Maybe because I'm running Win7 professional and not Home? Pro runs XP virtual; I don't think home does. I don't know. He didn't quote all of my comments. I didn't say all of the issues were user based. Right now I can get a large return open & printed quicker than in 2011. My own return has always been a 'go out and get another cup of coffee' return in any of the ATX years. Not so now. And at the beginning of the season, people clogged the tech lines with the most inane of issues. How many times did all of us over here start to chime "read the manual!"?

And the ATX is Fixed! Is Joel's addition; I never said that. So I'm also being pilloried for an insinuation I didn't add. Someone over there also pulled out comments I made somewhere and reported them along with my screen name on the other board. I didn't appreciate that. Maybe I've been spending too much time on Tax Almanac where "search the yellow box" is an accepted answer to any question that been reiterated over and over. If that was the case on the ATX board, it wouldn't be so hard to search for an answer there amidst the many posts of "ATX is soooo slow" and "my assets have disappeared." Kudos to NYTaxLady for trying to make the fixes & workarounds easier to find.

• Like 1

Could someone contact them and have them join this board? I refuse to even log in on the corporate board since they shut it down.

If these guys are as knowledgable as you say, they might help us get out of the "crippled" state of this software.

Jack:

They have been notified about this board more than once, as has NYTaxLady, another very experienced and helpful member of the regular ATX board. I just don't think they want to come over here.

Still, I don't think they will help much, more than than they already have. NYTaxLady started a nice WorkAround thread, that they have contributed to as have I. May be worth logging in over there just to see if there is anything in that thread that might help. We have all tried to compile the fixes and workarounds posted all over that board into that WorkAround thread.

While it may be nice that ATX appears to be making improvements, it would have been more helpful if these improvements were made before the beginning of tax season. I mean really....do we need all the drama? ATX president publicly apologies and is forced to resign...technical support people who hang up on your or don't return your phone calls...clients wondering why its taking so long to complete their returns...bad press in the media, etc.

I pity the poor sales rep who has to get on the phone after tax season to call us about early renewal discounts...