ATX Community

Looks like ATX is FIXED!

joelgilb

I knew already last year that my ten year old XP would not be able to calculate another year of ATX or any other tax software. It was really churning at the end of the season and I don't want it to die because it has lots of valuable use for other things. If we are going to do this job properly, updated and well maintained equipment is a must.

• Like 1

I knew already last year that my ten year old XP would not be able to calculate another year of ATX or any other tax software. It was really churning at the end of the season and I don't want it to die because it has lots of valuable use for other things. If we are going to do this job properly, updated and well maintained equipment is a must.
That's why I upgraded for the 2009 season; the laptop wasn't doing it anymore. Slow. It was good enough in 2005, but wasn't up to snuff by 2008, so I made sure to get the beefiest biz computer I could afford, to make sure it would last for at least 5 years. mcb, are you running win7 Pro? I'm starting to wonder if that is the difference between those of us without big issues, and those with that have fast processors, lots of memory, and win7 64bit. My laptop grinds to a halt with iTunes. 100% of CPU. So I know it's not just ATX that's a memory hog.

At the firm, we have 3 computers with i7 processors, SSD, 16GB Ram WIN7 64bit. 7 others all have WIN7 32 Bit, i3 processors, 4GB RAM. The Server is i3 processor running Server 2011 Small business server (WIN 7 platform 64 bit) 16GB RAM. The network is GIGABIT compatible.

We are having slow speed doing everything, crashing programs, corrupted backups etc..

I have above average computer skills and have been using ATX since tax year 2002. The program, on a domain server network, is a total disaster. I found out that the program base (the database the program is built around) was never designed for networks.

Leave it to CCH to ruin a good tax program by attempting to update (which WAS needed) with a base and programmers that are FAR below par for such an undertaking.

It ain't all about old hardware, or computer knowledge.

• Like 1

Joan:

I have no problem with what you stated. It was your experience.

And many folks ARE having issues and are not interested in doing the work to get to a better place. That is laziness defined..

After 12 hours on the phone with ATX and my local computer guy, I determined that ATX was NOT going to do what it did in the past on a network, and I made a decision. I just started running each computer in a stand alone manner and I walk around the office and review returns on each computer, and I rescheduled my employee's to be here at different times, so that we could get returns done..

Does that make me happy? No. Will it force me to change? Yes, It already has made me change. I may move to something else next year. I will make that decision by Oct 15th.

But I have to get to April 15th now.

I have spent WAY more time of this site, and the ATX corporate site then I ever wanted this tax season.

Rich

• Like 2

That's why I upgraded for the 2009 season; the laptop wasn't doing it anymore. Slow. It was good enough in 2005, but wasn't up to snuff by 2008, so I made sure to get the beefiest biz computer I could afford, to make sure it would last for at least 5 years. mcb, are you running win7 Pro? I'm starting to wonder if that is the difference between those of us without big issues, and those with that have fast processors, lots of memory, and win7 64bit. My laptop grinds to a halt with iTunes. 100% of CPU. So I know it's not just ATX that's a memory hog.

I have Win7 64 bit i5 with 16 G Ram. I have thought for a long time now that is the answer for standalones. I had a gut feeling early on that I didn't want a network and my IT fella agreed with me. I am using WIFI for the laptop and this one and the old XP is direct connect. Eventually he will move the modem to this one; once MS stops supporting XP. Early on, I think we all knew that networks were the worst affected and I feel very sorry for them because it has been a struggle for all of. Theirs must be unbearable.

Must be nice to have a brand new shiney computer.

Yes, it is VERY nice. But, I worked the same computer for ten years so should have been able to afford a new computer. This is my fourth desktop in over thirty years in this insane career and each one was ordered to my personal specifications. I have a plaque on my wall underneath my RTRP (probably worthless) certificate that says "If You Can Dream It; You Can Do It". I am living my left-handed dreams.

Marilyn, are you running Win7 Pro? So far that's now the only difference I might be able to find between big shiny new computer not working vs. working. Or maybe just having the patience to work with it like Rich did. I was looking to do a peer to peer but couldn't figure out how to hook up the laptop to mine. I was told I couldn't remote into Win7 from XP. Now it doesn't matter, and I'm working overnight, and my assistant is coming in at 8 so we can trade off. Would I like to be in bed now? Yes! But I got too much work to do.

Marilyn, are you running Win7 Pro? So far that's now the only difference I might be able to find between big shiny new computer not working vs. working. Or maybe just having the patience to work with it like Rich did. I was looking to do a peer to peer but couldn't figure out how to hook up the laptop to mine. I was told I couldn't remote into Win7 from XP. Now it doesn't matter, and I'm working overnight, and my assistant is coming in at 8 so we can trade off. Would I like to be in bed now? Yes! But I got too much work to do.

I have windows 7 64 stand alone but I don't have the windows PRO I have the windows 7 home. I have Quad II processor but only 6gb of ram

no real problems but lost check marks for complete etc. it is slow opening program and some of the larger returns. I am getting ready to go 12.12 hopeing that will speed up my larger returns.

Hi All.

My first post. I didnt know this board existed.

I saw Joans kudos to me, thanks...I tried to help..didnt know it would be this overwhelming. You can only imagine the amount of work it took to get the tips in one place. I tought others would post tips, but most put them wherever, and I gathered and refined them (to make them readable). To bad ATX didnt allow me to edit past posts, I could have organized it better.

Just a comment, and this is not an attack on Joan - I am sure has she known they were going to use her comment to paint it as being fixed she would have been more careful of the words she chose. And also, I am sure they left off some ow what she said as well. They were trying to appear balanced, but really - you cant blame Joan. She mentions on here she quits, reboots, uses task manager..I would not call that fixed, and I am sure she agrees. But the writer was the one who did this.

I am on an old machine. I run 12.10 on a Dell 4400 1.6ghz single core, windows XP sp3 with only 1gb ram. (computer cant go higher). I do my maintenance (CCleaner, defrag, etc) and updated where I could and I have no problems. But, I am on standalone. Sure, it is slow to open and occasionally get a crash, but I applied all of my Workarounds and Solutions, and am ok. It is no speed demon, but we are getting through. Frustrating, yes. Opening the print dialog box and waiting for it to load forms drives us crazy. Rollovers are a pain in the ass but i have a system to get them to work. It is nowhere near what I would call good software.

Belieive it or not - if they called for an interview and asked me...I could easily have said something similar to Joans comment. And who knows how they would twist and warp it to sound like the software works well for me. And, you all know I am more than aware of the problems. It just happens to be true - I was not bit by most of the other issues everyone else suffered from, especially the network issues. (I did have PDF issues, and switched to Bullzip - never looked back.) I follow my own advice I posted in the Workarounds and Solutions and it seems to work ok. But then, I am a computer geek and many users are just non technical accountants - they have no desire to become their own IT staff -they just want it to work, like it is supposed to.

• Like 2

I upgraded my system last October with Dell I-7, 64 bit, Windows Pro 8 gig Ram with two 22" monitors but stand alone. The program so far works fine except occassional crashes. The problem is that system is very fast and most of the program are still slow. Other thing i noticed that mouse clicks so fast so eventhough the mouse set up is at the slowest, it still click more than once. So now I learnd to hold the left button little longer and fortunately it works for me. I do read other forum occasionally and look at the problem. I am just lucky one I guess so.

Welcome NYTaxLady! I think you'll find this board is more friendly, more user friendly, more professional, and with 99% less whining and hardly any questions that could be solved by reading instruction manuals or forms' instructions. We also have the ability to PM each other and edit posts. Those 2 things are totally lacking on the official forum.

Hi All.

My first post. I didnt know this board existed.

I saw Joans kudos to me, thanks...I tried to help..didnt know it would be this overwhelming. You can only imagine the amount of work it took to get the tips in one place. I tought others would post tips, but most put them wherever, and I gathered and refined them (to make them readable). To bad ATX didnt allow me to edit past posts, I could have organized it better.

Just a comment, and this is not an attack on Joan - I am sure has she known they were going to use her comment to paint it as being fixed she would have been more careful of the words she chose. And also, I am sure they left off some ow what she said as well. They were trying to appear balanced, but really - you cant blame Joan. She mentions on here she quits, reboots, uses task manager..I would not call that fixed, and I am sure she agrees. But the writer was the one who did this.

I am on an old machine. I run 12.10 on a Dell 4400 1.6ghz single core, windows XP sp3 with only 1gb ram. (computer cant go higher). I do my maintenance (CCleaner, defrag, etc) and updated where I could and I have no problems. But, I am on standalone. Sure, it is slow to open and occasionally get a crash, but I applied all of my Workarounds and Solutions, and am ok. It is no speed demon, but we are getting through. Frustrating, yes. Opening the print dialog box and waiting for it to load forms drives us crazy. Rollovers are a pain in the ass but i have a system to get them to work. It is nowhere near what I would call good software.

Belieive it or not - if they called for an interview and asked me...I could easily have said something similar to Joans comment. And who knows how they would twist and warp it to sound like the software works well for me. And, you all know I am more than aware of the problems. It just happens to be true - I was not bit by most of the other issues everyone else suffered from, especially the network issues. (I did have PDF issues, and switched to Bullzip - never looked back.) I follow my own advice I posted in the Workarounds and Solutions and it seems to work ok. But then, I am a computer geek and many users are just non technical accountants - they have no desire to become their own IT staff -they just want it to work, like it is supposed to.

How many returns will you process this season?

E-Filed about 140 so far, got a stack more we are working on...its easy when the machine doesnt crash so much. Its slow but we are doing it.

I gather from your question, that you are shocked by the lack of system power.. This year, throwing more computing power at it does not fix ATX , so mine and yours may be running at the same speed!

I know the networks are screwed. I'm just trying to find out what the common denominator is between those of us on standalone s that aren't having issues, and those on standalones that aren't.

It is the way that ATX programmed the database internally in the software rather than shared on the server. Harless has a better handle on this though.

Running a network here and the software was virtually unusable on state of the art workstations. Program Load times upwards of 10 to 15 minutes and client file load times were similar (remember these were times as of vers 12.8 for me, don't know how current versions would improve this.

Thought this might help.

HarlessTax posted this on the Reg Atx board:

"... Our computers are all top of the line and ATX developers have been to our office since they did not test the software on a networked environment. Also the use of the RavenDB is being done in an unsupported manner. A RavenDB exec told me personally the way ATX was using the database is going to continue to cause issues.....from slowness to corrupt files just for starters. They suggested the database be used as a server and all users access the database opposed to the database being embedded in the software and then shared to all users."

Emphasis added

The 140 efiled returns includes both federal and state. Both businesses and individuals. I know it isnt a lot compared to the amount I am seeing from some on here, but then, they may be on networks and are accounting for their whole office. We have one standalone. I am not sure the reason behind the original question.

Joel, glad to join you. Hope I can help here too. Is this the only non-atx board out there, or is there a whole secret underground ATX society out here?

Mine is 7 Home Premium, but results are good. Is there that much difference between OS?

The 140 efiled returns includes both federal and state. Both businesses and individuals. I know it isnt a lot compared to the amount I am seeing from some on here, but then, they may be on networks and are accounting for their whole office. We have one standalone. I am not sure the reason behind the original question.

Joel, glad to join you. Hope I can help here too. Is this the only non-atx board out there, or is there a whole secret underground ATX society out here?

I e-filed 175 this week. You will have very few and small problems with the software till you hit 250. We crossed 2,000 returns (just Fed) this afternoon. Our business has lost thousands and will continue to lose for a year or two due to lack of being able to process returns in a timely manner.

Welcome NYTaxLady! I think we're the only 'underground' ATX board, but by the amount of people that came on here when the tech support message said to check the knowledge base & community board, maybe the official board is more underground. Lol. And thank you for not pillorying me. Ya know, I never said that ATX was fixed, nor did the article. It said ATX has its fans, and quoted me. Joel put that "ATX is fixed" headline on his posts. BTW, I found that 12.12 sped up the print manager quite a bit, so you might want to go on to it. mcb using win7 home blows my theory of that being the difference out of the water. Damn, I thought maybe I was onto something.