ATX Community

Amend dep return

red2

Need to amend a dependent's return that an exemption was taken for them "and shouldn't have". After I amend dependent's return, do you think after a couple of months I would be able to then "e-file the parent's 2012 tax return"??? Or do you think I will have to paper file the parent's return? Any thoughts??

Guest Taxed

I know you are not suppose to do it, but over the years for situations like that where one return is being amended and that will impact the other return I have paper filed in one envelope with a note on top. It has worked so far and IRS has not complained so i am not about to stop. If you e-file the parent's return while the amendment has not processed you will either get a rejection or if it goes through a CP2000 and then you will be doing this all over again.

I think the better way is to go ahead and file the parents return now especially if they are getting a refund. Then I would wait until May to file the amendments for both. Did this indentical thing last year and all was resolved by July or August. You may have to wait a long time for the dependents's amended return is processed which again, if there is a refund due the parents then they may not want to wait. Also, if there is a balance due, and by waiting, you will put them in a possible penalty and interest situation.

I think the better way is to go ahead and file the parents return now especially if they are getting a refund. Then I would wait until May to file the amendments for both. Did this indentical thing last year and all was resolved by July or August. You may have to wait a long time for the dependents's amended return is processed which again, if there is a refund due the parents then they may not want to wait. Also, if there is a balance due, and by waiting, you will put them in a possible penalty and interest situation.

IF the parents are getting refunds anyway, why go through the bother of filing and then amending? just put on extension

If you send the child's return in before Apr 15, it is a Corrected Return and not an amended return. I would not use the 1040X, but write Corrected Return across the top. Then wait 3 - 4 weeks before filing the parent's TR.

After all these years, I have never known about doing a "corrected return" prior to April 15. Corrected/amended, isn't it the same thing?

If the parents need the money, they may still be entitled to a refund without the dependent. File now and amend theirs after the dependent's amended return is processed to pick up the additional refund.

Just a thought.

Claiming a dependent is not an absolute. I too have trouble with the 1040 page 2 statement. In my case, the dependent's return accidentally got e-filed. It was in the batch and should have been removed. Parent's return was in the same batch and got rejected for obvious reasons. Re-filed without the dependent which made the return accurate because of the disallowance of dependency. Then amended both. So. I don't think I violated anything here. If my memory serves me correctly, there was some discussion this year about filing a return when you could and then amending the return to include forms that were delayed. Not sure where that came from?

Here is another scenario. Had a client file his return 2nd week of season. He was told by WalMart that he would not get his 1099 statement until the end of April (so he claims). Amounts are not known and the guy needed his refund. So, to the best of my knowledge and from the information presented I filed the return and told him that if and when he receives this statement he must amend the return. Ideally, if what this client says is true, then an extension would be the best way. But again I ask, what would you do?

Without the dependent, is the information included on the return accurate? Who's money is being refunded? The taxpayer overpaid and is entitled to get their money back. Why do they have to wait, because somebody else filed in error?

Paying to have a return prepared, filed, then amended is not something a client wants to waste their money on. This is not a good strategy unless there is a good reason to consider it.

Every circumstance has some unique aspect.