ATX Community

You guys and gals amaze me

JJStephens

I've been a preparer for 27 years; and an EA for 5. I've been on this forum since shortly after it started and the original 'official' ATX forum (the one that was shut down on April 5 several years ago giving rise to this forum) for years before that.

What amazes me is the wealth of knowledge that's out there. You folks amaze me (admittedly, some more than others!). I've gotten great answers to virtually every question I've asked. I was just poking around and looking at some older Q&As. People quoting regs, and code and all kinds of stuff. Amazing!

What I'm curious about, when some of these questions come up do you know all this stuff off the top of your head (like one person quoted a section of the Form 1065 instructions) or when these tough questions come up do you take the time to research the answers? Either way, I'm impressed . . . and grateful!!!

• Like 2

I think both are the correct answer, depending on the responder. Many of us have experience in particular areas so answers to some questions come from that (CRUT returns, minister's returns, etc.). For some of us, we may be fairly sure of the answer but double check and quote. For some, we may also want to know so take the time to do the research.

I agree, though. This board is invaluable to many of us for a variety of reasons including tax research support, working through issues to get to the right questions, moral support for bad days and clients, emotional support - I could go on. But I don't think I could go on without this network of intelligent, kind, generous, experienced professionals. For myself, I am always glad to see new contributors, too.

CPA 20 years, sole prop 18 years here

• Like 2

i AGREE JJSTEPHENS!!! I have always received speedy, informative and knowledgeable replies to even the simplest of questions.

As a sole practitioner, it has always been reassuring to know that I can bounce a problem off thousands of minds and get a reply - -usually within minutes

THANK YOU ALL AGAIN!!!

Tax Preparer 31 years

• Like 2

Back at you buddy! I love having ministry experts on the board. You and Mike Malody are two of the great resources on this board.

As for researched or off the cuff, I try to comment only on the things I am pretty sure of the answer. When challenged, I go to the code and regs. When I am guessing or trying to help someone with where the reasearch needs to go, but I don't know the answer for sure, I pretty much say so. If I don't have a clue, I don't post (normally).

Tom

Hollister, CA

The guy responsible for this web site is Eric. So thanks to Eric. He gets donations from us from time to time. See the Donations on the tool bar above.

Thanks for the reminder, windmill! Just went on and made a donation because I don't trust myself to remember after the season.

Eric, I can't thank you enough.

• Like 2

Like many of you, I'm a one person shop. Having this resource is priceless. Even the 'laugh of the day' entries are greatly appreciated! They help me come for air every once in a while.

Thanks for the donation reminder. I thought I had donated earlier this year . . . but couldn't find a record of having done so. Just clicked the donate button. I urge others to do likewise.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reminder.

Just made my latest donation as well.

And thanks for all the help from everyone on this forum. I agree that you're a fantastic group with a wealth of knowledge and a genuine willingness to share it with others around this virtual water cooler.

I do not accept credit cards at my home business, but I offer to send a PayPal invoice, and it seems that everyone has a PayPal account.

If you ever want to take credit cards, Square is pretty simple & just charges a per transaction % fee. I've used it a few times this year.

Eli

Thanks for the heads up. I really haven't been "advertising" that I can take credit cards. Most of my clients do pay by check. I've only used it when clients forget checkbook. So for the cases I've used it, I may have had to wait for a check, too. (Yes, I let clients mail me checks after return is e-filed.)

Thanks for the heads up. I really haven't been "advertising" that I can take credit cards. Most of my clients do pay by check. I've only used it when clients forget checkbook. So for the cases I've used it, I may have had to wait for a check, too. (Yes, I let clients mail me checks after return is e-filed.)

Yes, I let some clients do that as well. Every year there are one or two people who keep forgetting but eventually do send a check - usually with profuse apologies! And there are some whom I can be sure will forget their checkbooks; those checks usually arrive within a day or two. I have PayPal on my web site for those who wish to use a credit card; same set-percentage fee deal and the client does not have to have their own PayPal account and I never see their credit card info.

Eric, whatever we do, we cannot express enough our gratitude to you for making this possible. You've surely read how very important it is, especially to us sole props, to be able to reach out to so many colleagues in this way. Without your expertise and willingness to provide this forum, many of us would not be the practitioners we have become or mentors to others.

It is we who are very, very grateful!

• Like 3

Agree, agree, agree.

I couldn't get through tax season without this forum. I've tried asking my dog some of the questions I run into. She doens't have many answers.

Eric - I do get "shy" about putting my name in a public forum. But my "handle" is consistent with my e-mail address & business name. So I guess I'm not hiding very well.

JB - I ran a load of laundry today & forgot to add detergent.

I'm so ready for April 16!

JB - I ran a load of laundry today & forgot to add detergent.

I'm so ready for April 16!

It's refreshing to step away from the desk and do some mundane task, isn't it? Remembering to put it in the dryer is where I fail. The last time, I was drying clothes at 2am. At least I was so tired that it didn't keep me awake.

I have left clothes in the washer for hours and in the dryer for days and in the laudry basket until they get worn. Very little makes it back to the closet this time of year. Oh well, at least they're clean. I can live with wrinkles.

• Like 1