ATX Community

How to stop depreceiation on schedule E

Tax Prep by Deb

I have a client who has a mobile home that they have rented out for many years. 2012 because of health issues they decided to not rent it out. It was not rented for all of 2012 nor do I believe they tried to rent it out.

I do believe the intent is to continue renting it but not right now. ATX keeps inputting depreciation and when I try to change the usage to 0% it reverts back to 100%.

I would just convert it to personal use but it's still going to figure some depreciation.

Anybody know what I may be doing wrong?

Deb!

Once upon a time I had a client who had 2 apts next to each other. He lived in one. He rented out the other. Then he had a child and decided to break thru the wall...and live in both.

I called IRS and asked your very question...and the rep told me not to bother with the Schedule E because he wasn't renting out anymore.

So...I just eliminated the Schedule E.

<<<I called IRS and asked your very question...and the rep told me not to bother with the Schedule E because he wasn't renting out anymore.

So...I just eliminated the Schedule E.>>>

Hmmm, hope there were good notes kept here. Changing the disposition is always the best and proper way.

• Like 1

I could do that, but I have my preferences set to remove assets when disposed of and if I change it to personal use, I'm afraid next year my asset history will be gone.

I don't know how ATX handles an asset converted to personal. I'd duplicate a 2011 return, convert an asset and then rollover in 2012 and see if it's still there. (and hope 2013 works the same way)