ATX Community

IRS Forums 2013

Jack from Ohio

Is anyone planning to attend any of the IRS forums this summer? I went to my first one last summer and it was immensely informational.

None are close to me this year, so it will be plane trip, and probably staying at the hotel where the forum is so I don't need a car. Just wondered if anyone else was planning to go? Sharing a room would be an option to help lower costs.

Just wondering...

Guest Taxed

Annual pilgrimage for me with the family and the tax deduction comes in handy!

In prior years the # of exhibitors were much more and diverse than what I saw the last 2 years. One exhibitor told me that the organizers have been jacking up their fees so many smaller vendors chose other local or regional venues like CPA, EA annual meetings etc. to showcase their wares.

Is anyone planning to attend any of the IRS forums this summer? I went to my first one last summer and it was immensely informational.

None are close to me this year, so it will be plane trip, and probably staying at the hotel where the forum is so I don't need a car. Just wondered if anyone else was planning to go? Sharing a room would be an option to help lower costs.

Just wondering...

Looking at Dallas at the end of July. Hoping to meet up with Eli. I would have gone to San Diego (I love San Diego) but I have a state seminar that weekend. Probably staying at the Gaylord Texan.

Tom

Hollister, CA

Guest Taxed

Kea you will like it. The sessions are very informative and you can ask questions of the IRS folks and presenters of the sessions.

The best part is your interaction with other tax preparers and the pointers you can pick up from that discussion.

There are just so many sessions and workshops and limited time that you have to pre select what you want to see.

There were more exhibitors in previous years. You will see the usual suspects and the typical giveaways! The final reception is good too.

• 1 month later...
Guest Taxed

They have been getting crowded over the last few years. They need to look into also offering perhaps a Webex version?? Right now they release the presentations from the previous year's conference.

Last year they were mobbed (at least in NYC) I thought because tax preparers needed credits. Since that is no longer the case, it shouldn't be so bad.

I attended the conferences for 3 years (paid) and then didn't go for 2-3 years.

Those first years, when I went, the presentations were put on-line in the fall (before tax season).

At the conference they gave out nice books with all the slides from the presentations.

Last year it was "print your own" and bring it with you. I wasn't aware they they no longer posted the presentations on line until the next year. They also cut out the dinner (not that it was anything to write home about)...but they never could have fed that many people in one room.

At the conference center in Chicago last year, there was no WiFi in the entire convention center. I took some written notes, but taking my laptop was fruitless otherwise.

I am going to Atlanta. It is the least expensive of the 5. The other 4 venues are proud of their hotels.

Anyone here from Atlanta? Also, Kerri will be there for ATX. I have this on very RELIABLE information.

I can't imagine doing business without my cell phone and iPad. (and a cheap wifi enabled Galaxy tablet when I need to use flash player). External power boosters are the equivalent of a battery - actually better than an internal battery.

Personally I take advantage of all the tehcnology available to make me more productive and efficient. We are selling our expertise and time. For me it's a simple matter of greater efficiency translating time savings, translating into higher income. I think that's the reason for being in business in the first place.

But, to each his own...

• Like 1

It is almost impossible to take lenthy notes using the iPad screen keyboard. IMO the only way to efficiently takes notes with the iPad is to use a bluetooth keyboard. I prefer the ZAGG Pro bluetooth keyboard. It converts the iPad to something resembling a laptop for those rare times when you need to operate in that mode and makes a great stand for viewing. Plus, it doubles as a very durable hard protective case. Cost is about $130 or less, depending upon the discount you get.

External power boosters are the equivalent of a battery - actually better than an internal battery.

I totally agree with that. Took a little time to figure that one out, but it's really the same thing, but more useful. I got two of these recently. You might want to check them out, they work like a charm.

2600mAh Flash Charger for Cell Phones & Tablets - Assorted Colors $12.00 Our Price

For those times when you need a little extra boost and have nowhere to charge, this Flash Charger is the perfect solution. With a USB output and MicroUSB input, this little device can charge just about anything, from iPhones and other smartphones to digital cameras and e-readers. It's a sleek and portable solution that will help prevent you from getting caught with no power left on your favorite devices.

• Perfect for iPhone, iPad, BlackBerry, Samsung, HTC, e-readers, digital cameras, and more; not compatible with all Motorola models • USB output and MicroUSB input • High capacity: 2600mAh • Adds up to 40 hours of extra talk time • Rechargeable, small, attractive, and lightweight • Great for commuting and travel • Includes USB-to-MicroUSB cable for connecting and charging Flash Charger by your computer • Available in your choice of fun colors!

http://www.nomorerack.com/daily_deals/view/343131-2600mAh_Flash_Charger_for_Cell_Phones_&_Tablets_-_Assorted_Colors